This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#192946 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:07 am
OK, account is set up.

Go to http://www.dropbox.com

Sign in is: [email protected] password is bandmix

I created a folder named project 1 - use this to upload (and download the project file. When saving the file, use the date on the end so we can track versions, i.e project11-9-12
Use WAV files (everyone can use them).
After you have uploaded a track (on the 'unused' side of the stereo WAV file), post here, so I can download it, and combine it with the existing tracks, then I'll upload it back with one side empty again. Real 'mixing' won't happen until we've got plenty of tracks, then I'll need to balance them a bit so everyone can hear the progression.

Remember to sign out of drop box once you have downloaded or uploaded!
Questions - just ask.

So, first, we need a click track and scratch (guitar or keyboard) track - this is what everyone will follow as the root of the song - but what are we going to use for the actual song?
Once we've got that, we really could use a stereo drum track (who ever does that will need to upload it as a separate file in the folder, to preserve the stereo mix of it - mono drum tracks sound blaah.

#192947 by VinnyViolin
Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:10 am
I don't feel this project to be my cup of tea ... but I do think it is a great idea, and I'm confident you guy's will come up with something.

... good or bad it should stimulate a lot of musical conversations ... (that of course will probably degenerate into the usual political rantings of liberals vs. conservatives) :lol:

Are we taking bets on whether JCP61 will actually pay the $10 he loses in his wager that your project will fail? :wink:

#192949 by Starfish Scott
Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:15 am
Aww Vinny that was the equivalent of a groin kick during sparring..

(please refrain from kicking the jewels) lol

#192950 by JCP61
Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:15 am
Planetguy wrote:
JCP61 wrote:internet community, yea that part is a little strange
but you go right ahead, glambert, don't let me stop you,

yeah, what a "strange" and foreign notion... musicians placing some value and having some regard for community.

and a forum of musicians who communicate regularly.... sharing a sense of community???? whassup wi dat meshugah bidness?

OMG where is my violin
(you'll have to translate that last part for me)

Planetguy wrote:
actually i think his only concern was putting his foot up yer behind proving you wrong. :lol:

well it won't be him proving me wrong will it?

#192951 by JCP61
Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:17 am
VinnyViolin wrote:I don't feel this project to be my cup of tea ..

boy there is a shocking revelation

#192955 by PaperDog
Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:27 am
Planetguy wrote:grant...i think you could probably offer up some great canvases for folks to work with if you don't feel comfortable adding instrumental stuff later on in the process. if not any instrumental contribution....no doubt you could offer some fine lyrics and maybe even sing them.

Well I could do that ...But first I need to know what you mean by a canvas (Now I'm showing my true ignorance lol!)

If you meant theme, I think for a first attempt , something reasonable and simple So that you guys can model the process and get on the right pages, etc.

I always appreciated the Shakespeare view (He said the Play is the thing...) I believe the song is the thing. To that end, instruments should adapt themselves to the needs of the song(s) and should avoid gratuitous virtuoso (except where specifically called for)

That begs the question: What are the needs of the song?

The best I can suggest is think in terms of building a house around a faucet. Somebody needs to introduce the faucet... (or other artifact) and therein lies the quest for theme. Define the theme from there and run with it on all points.

IMHO

:D 8)

#192984 by Hayden King
Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:17 am
i say we all just whip out our communicators and have a local hoe hold it (whatever you ask her to, of course. she's a hoe) while we do a long distance jam together.

Conference call anyone?

And BTW, "I" am the worst guitar player on BM!

#192993 by Hayden King
Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:35 am
Hayden King wrote:i say we all just whip out our communicators and have a local hoe hold it (whatever you ask her to, of course. she's a hoe) while we do a long distance jam together.

Conference call anyone?

And BTW, "I" am the worst guitar player on BM!

I really don't know what this thread is all about, but it looked like a good opportunity for a Hoe joke :P

#193009 by Starfish Scott
Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:05 pm
lol GJ Hayden..(takes some pressure off of the powder keg.)

#193131 by MikeTalbot
Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:24 pm
Sadly, I left my sweet little rehearsal studio behind when I parted company with herself.

Living in a new place and have not got my little world re-assembled yet. Can't record but working to get things back together.

I can contribute lyrics however, if you need some.

Talbot

I've been using Audacity and it makes everything sound like mush. So I consulted an 'expert' to show me how to make it do what I want. He told me to increase buffer size. Great, made sense. Except there is no 'buffer' setting.

Any ideas anyone?

#193143 by Starfish Scott
Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:57 pm
Talbot, what mic you using?

Using a sh*t mic will just cause insanity and no amount of tweaking will change it.

#193146 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:16 am
MikeT - what do you have for a mic, and what do you have for an audio interface?

I strongly recommend moving up to a real DAW from Audacity. Reaper is free to try out (full version) and only $60 to register it.
http://www.reaper.fm

#193149 by gtZip
Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:37 am
Don't see anything in the Box yet.

#193151 by gtZip
Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:09 am
Mike, or whoever... see if you can make a proper loop out of the simple guitar that I uploaded.
It might be hard to make a beat to.

Pools.wav