This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#192722 by Planetguy
Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:08 pm
ok, the election is over.....did anyone REALLY think we'd stop bitching about it? nah.

recently as to jeff's and grant's request i extended my hand to glen (twice) offering to put the sh*t slinging aside...did anyone think he wouldn't swat it away? nah

not too long ago vamp and i apologized to one another and said we'd stay above childish insults from here on out. did that last? nah

jeff and jimmy fought, made up, fought and made up, etc. hopefully the current state of good will continues. do we believe it will? nah

so, we're always gonna be a semicolonaway from the next border war. i don't think anyone is carrying this around with them and truly bugged by any of it once they lay down their armor and weaponry and sign off BandMixItUp. at least i hope not.

anyway here's a goofy idea that will most likely go over like a lead balloon. (perhaps justifiably so)

the one thing we all have in common here is a love for making music. sadly geography prevents us all from sitting down to engage in that kind of comraderie. sooooo, what if were able to do some community building and fence mending thru some interwebs recording where we were able to get a bunch of folks (sorry vamp..that's a good natured swipe at ya and i hope you take it that way) to all contribute?

ok, the logistics of this might be a little tough, but i bet it can be done if there's interest.

there are many good musicians here, many good writers, and no doubt many w good problem solving skills.

one idea might be to get any drummers interested (not many here i believe...drumsinmyheart, and rgmix come to mind) to lay down something and then pass it around.

we have a glut of gtr players here, quite a few bassists, one or two keyboardists who i can think of (prevost comes to mind), we have only one string man (vinny) as far as i know, i believe i'm the only mallet percussionist here, guitarmike you play mando as well as gtr if i'm not mistaken, yes?

so, we might divide into teams or....i dunno. any ideas on how this could work? a sign up sheet w instrument of choice? or.....?

whatcha think, is this a totally goofy idea or is there any interest in pursuing this?

#192725 by J-HALEY
Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:56 pm
What kind of tobacky we smokin in that pipe?:D I am not much of a computer guy but I'm game!

#192731 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:29 pm
Just what IS in that pipe (and don't bogart it!)

The two tricks in this:
1) agreeing on a song
2) everyone needs to be able to supply tracks as WAV or AIFF for compatibility

On 1), we might get stuck - this was suggested before but a bunch of people don't want to work on a lame cover version of a song. (Smoke on the Water for the masses, anyone? :wink: )

On 2) Got to be able to import the 'backing track' (drums, for example) into a recorder (stand alone or DAW), to then lay down the added track(s), then export just that track (not a mix) to whomever is doing the mixing.

In reality, the drummer needs something to follow, so a scratch click track/guitar track needs to be done.

You've got half a dozen or more guitarists here, if everyone lays down a lead track, either everyone gets 4 bars, or it turns into a long jam (how about a 30 minute Whipping Post?)

And lastly, some styles are just not going to be compatible with each other. Jeff and Jimmy can wail away on Carlos-like leads, but that leaves a mandolin or marimba hiding in the shadows.

#192735 by Planetguy
Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:46 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Just what IS in that pipe (and don't bogart it!)

The two tricks in this:
1) agreeing on a song
2) everyone needs to be able to supply tracks as WAV or AIFF for compatibility

well, in a perfect world we would have a few choices in the way of different songs suggested/agreed upon and folks could either sign onto working on a particular song/particular style or not.

On 1), we might get stuck - this was suggested before but a bunch of people don't want to work on a lame cover version of a song. (Smoke on the Water for the masses, anyone? :wink: )

yeah, agreed but see above where i suggest having a few things ...a smorgasbord or rotating library if you will of choices.

On 2) Got to be able to import the 'backing track' (drums, for example) into a recorder (stand alone or DAW), to then lay down the added track(s), then export just that track (not a mix) to whomever is doing the mixing.

yeah....pretty much, but i'm not sure it'd have to be passed around as isolated trks. we might have to compromise/settle and live w each other's mixes as a song gets passed around. i dunno..haven't thought it all out (obviously)

In reality, the drummer needs something to follow, so a scratch click track/guitar track needs to be done.

i dunno....if a drummer gave you an already recorded 4 or 5 (or whatever) minute bit that was in time....why wouldn't anyone be able to work and build something w that?

You've got half a dozen or more guitarists here, if everyone lays down a lead track, either everyone gets 4 bars, or it turns into a long jam (how about a 30 minute Whipping Post?)

yeah that's one way of approaching it (X takes the first chorus, Y takes the next...) or maybe the team idea where only one or two gtrsts sign on for a particular song?

And lastly, some styles are just not going to be compatible with each other. Jeff and Jimmy can wail away on Carlos-like leads, but that leaves a mandolin or marimba hiding in the shadows.

true that....there are those into cover tunes, those into originals, and some pretty creative types like JCP, Vinny, Peg Lautny who write some things that are a little more outta the mainstream. (my apologies to anyone i'm overlooking)

but that just gives more choices and puts more options on the shelves of the library!

and marimba or mando on a santana like bit.....i'm in w both feet on that.

#192736 by gbheil
Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:47 pm
I wonder how many of us will be making music or smoking anything when our income tax is >40% ?

I'm not willing to stop bitching or fighting . . .

I did start filming a music video last night.
I guess that's something.

It's a protest song. :wink:

#192739 by Planetguy
Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:54 pm
sanshouheil wrote:I wonder how many of us will be making music or smoking anything when our income tax is >40% ?

I'm not willing to stop bitching or fighting . . .

I did start filming a music video last night.
I guess that's something.

It's a protest song. :wink:

well, there's nothing i've been smoking that would lead me to believe ANYONE is gonna stop bitching and fighting around here. 8)

#192742 by crunchysoundbite
Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:21 pm
It's ok that you skipped right over the Planeoldguy's post. I understand. Glad to see you're here Sans. Don't think I've forgotten our challenge, which I think you and I know is right on topic. After this first 4 years of Obama Care's, I am left with less tutorial ability to teach myself the craft I have learned. I have refused to get public assistance, yet me and mine have survived Gracefully. I'm on the path I set out to be on, to be doing better than as I was. Having fun doing it, even using capital letters where diction tells me it's needed. It is God's will that we work hard and earn our keep. Not slothfull. LOL. Ha Ha, Had you there Didn't I? Just kidding, I will put my words into meaning and all can understand without having to guess what the newest and laziest form of writing or finding acronyms to replace my meaning or leave you guessing- "Is That what he meant?" I think my fore fathers would thank me, for their efforts have not gone the way of the dinosaur. Just think if the Rosetta Stone was full of hip hop acronyms. Just think, that if in 1000 years -your half of a discussion is the only half that could be deciphered. Just think if it were to be the Chinese have the right to monetary value of all those written words deciphered. Any ways, Have fun with what these next 4 years bring us,Congratulations, Obama!

#192744 by Planetguy
Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:36 pm
so crunch..are you offering up anything besides more hate and sour grapes while thumping away on that old bible of your's? after all, that's how jesus wants it right? how's that turning the other cheek working out for ya?

who knows, maybe you have nothing to offer musically and that's all you have to offer. if so....maybe you oughta show what a good loving christian you are in another thread... or please continue here if that floats yer boat.

#192751 by DainNobody
Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:49 pm
since I am the worst guitar player on BandMix I will have to bow out gracefully..

#192752 by Planetguy
Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:57 pm
dane, don't be so humble and self effacing! this is open to all comers. i have no doubt you're capable of fine contributions. 8)

#192754 by gbheil
Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:15 pm
crunchysoundbite wrote:It's ok that you skipped right over the Planeoldguy's post. I understand. Glad to see you're here Sans. Don't think I've forgotten our challenge, which I think you and I know is right on topic. After this first 4 years of Obama Care's, I am left with less tutorial ability to teach myself the craft I have learned. I have refused to get public assistance, yet me and mine have survived Gracefully. I'm on the path I set out to be on, to be doing better than as I was. Having fun doing it, even using capital letters where diction tells me it's needed. It is God's will that we work hard and earn our keep. Not slothfull. LOL. Ha Ha, Had you there Didn't I? Just kidding, I will put my words into meaning and all can understand without having to guess what the newest and laziest form of writing or finding acronyms to replace my meaning or leave you guessing- "Is That what he meant?" I think my fore fathers would thank me, for their efforts have not gone the way of the dinosaur. Just think if the Rosetta Stone was full of hip hop acronyms. Just think, that if in 1000 years -your half of a discussion is the only half that could be deciphered. Just think if it were to be the Chinese have the right to monetary value of all those written words deciphered. Any ways, Have fun with what these next 4 years bring us,Congratulations, Obama!

I thought about our challenge just the other day as a matter of fact.
Not made much progress though . . . at least not in that particular direction.
I have been challenged quite a lot with the new music and my increased roll as a "lead guitarist".
That should keep me busyfor at least four more years. :wink:

#192755 by DainNobody
Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:15 pm
I would prolly need a faster internet speed than dial-up also, (which I do not have)

#192757 by crunchysoundbite
Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:33 pm
sanshouheil wrote:
crunchysoundbite wrote:It's ok that you skipped right over the Planeoldguy's post. I understand. Glad to see you're here Sans. Don't think I've forgotten our challenge, which I think you and I know is right on topic. After this first 4 years of Obama Care's, I am left with less tutorial ability to teach myself the craft I have learned. I have refused to get public assistance, yet me and mine have survived Gracefully. I'm on the path I set out to be on, to be doing better than as I was. Having fun doing it, even using capital letters where diction tells me it's needed. It is God's will that we work hard and earn our keep. Not slothfull. LOL. Ha Ha, Had you there Didn't I? Just kidding, I will put my words into meaning and all can understand without having to guess what the newest and laziest form of writing or finding acronyms to replace my meaning or leave you guessing- "Is That what he meant?" I think my fore fathers would thank me, for their efforts have not gone the way of the dinosaur. Just think if the Rosetta Stone was full of hip hop acronyms. Just think, that if in 1000 years -your half of a discussion is the only half that could be deciphered. Just think if it were to be the Chinese have the right to monetary value of all those written words deciphered. Any ways, Have fun with what these next 4 years bring us,Congratulations, Obama!

I thought about our challenge just the other day as a matter of fact.
Not made much progress though . . . at least not in that particular direction.
I have been challenged quite a lot with the new music and my increased roll as a "lead guitarist".
That should keep me busyfor at least four more years. :wink:
Go for the money bro- you got plenty of time. My living room stereo went, so my studio sound went- you guessed it. I can get another just for looking, if that is my focus. Not entirely so. I am starting a new (costly), business that has great rewards. I will easily be able to get anything I want as things get moving. I've told you about my business before. It is moving Quite well with no chance of failure by any measure. I promise, I have the better mouse trap.

#192768 by gbheil
Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:49 pm
Benjamin M Johnson wrote:Maybe instead of trying to plan out the whole song in advance, we could do it piecewise. I'm thinking each of us records about 30 seconds to a minute at a time. We build it up kind of like a brick wall -- each new part has to add onto something that's already there, but can also extend the length of the song. That way it's a real collective effort, and we're not necessarily constrained to one particular style or genre.

Without at least mental skeletal framework ?

Rivers flow . . . but they have a path.
When they flood all you get is chaos.

Perhaps you have some idea that would create a flexible structure ?
And a way of communicating same . . . seems quite difficult.

#192774 by JCP61
Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:42 am
sounds like mass confusion in the making.