This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#190572 by Gothic Jazz
Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:19 pm
I am talking about developing musicians and i,m finding that instrument players and music making here in the uk seems to be totally stagnating and getting lost up its own backside.Because what i,m finding and correct me if i,m wrong is this.You get the usual middle class kids who attempt to learn to play an instrument in their youth then they grow into the try a band at uni for a couple of terms then its been there tried that and so often music making usually fizzles out they can wear the t shirt.So its just this small music development cycle and outwith that there is not a lot of social integration and mixture in the uk regarding the music and society in general particularly with skint struggling working class musicians of any age who don,t go or didn,t go down the middle class uni road by way of developing contacts.I,d like to see more bands forming with a mix of social classes and mixed ages because thats where the creativity is.Any one got any interesting news or thoughts one way or the other.For instance .We hark back often to the musically ground breaking punk rock scene but they were not at all anything to do with the lower working class really in my opinion and MC was maybe sorta pretending they were,maybe SidV was kinda because he was from a single parent family..

#190958 by Gothic Jazz
Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:41 pm
Well i don,t seem to be getting any readers here or replies well it just goes to show the music game is all a racket with your rentacrowd.No brain middle class morons pish..

#191352 by dave83942
Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:47 am
In English language we use a (') when abbreviating something
like 'You Have'. 'You've...'
The comma, (,) we use as a punctuating
or breathing space.
eg...' I am a guitarist, but only on Wednesdays' .

Much like you, these days, the young people making music don't
have any 'eloquence', being flush with machines that generate,
which upon they build.

BUT.....there are those who do not fall into this virtual world...
and you will only come across these musicians by leaving your bedroom
and spending weeks trawling your local music venues.
#191362 by PaperDog
Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:53 am
Steve and wrote:I am talking about developing musicians and i,m finding that instrument players and music making here in the uk seems to be totally stagnating and getting lost up its own backside.Because what i,m finding and correct me if i,m wrong is this.You get the usual middle class kids who attempt to learn to play an instrument in their youth then they grow into the try a band at uni for a couple of terms then its been there tried that and so often music making usually fizzles out they can wear the t shirt.So its just this small music development cycle and outwith that there is not a lot of social integration and mixture in the uk regarding the music and society in general particularly with skint struggling working class musicians of any age who don,t go or didn,t go down the middle class uni road by way of developing contacts.I,d like to see more bands forming with a mix of social classes and mixed ages because thats where the creativity is.Any one got any interesting news or thoughts one way or the other.For instance .We hark back often to the musically ground breaking punk rock scene but they were not at all anything to do with the lower working class really in my opinion and MC was maybe sorta pretending they were,maybe SidV was kinda because he was from a single parent family..

It's multiple causes:

1) You got (we Got) kids who are enamored with all the glory and dont realize the years of labor that goes into a solid case.
2) Nobody is team player anymore, hence yo got no band players anymore. Everybody "does their own' thang"
3) Venues cant rely on solid, consistant bands looking for gigs. They are not about to throw good money after bad acts.
4) Kids to day have never had to fight for anything or fight to hold on to it. Competitiveness is so shabby... Nobody gives a sh*t.
5) In The UK There is now a huge cutural divide. That has me thinking I should be learning some exotic instruments now, other than the satndard guitar and such.
6) RocknRoll must shed another skin as it continies to evolve. Most kid are fkn clueless about the history behind that morph.
7) Amy Winehouse (God rest her soul) was successfull because she wasnt whining about broken yachts...but also because she wasnt attcaking them. In other words, be all the vitriol you want , but understand that puching your audience in the nose will kill your efforts.
8) Finally...Many kids have been told they should pursue their musical dreams. I say FK that! Most of that shot sucks cause they dont really make an effort to absorb and become one with the art. f**k em... They are posers of the highest order.

Just my thoughts]
Have a fabulous day 8)

#197402 by Gothic Jazz
Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:28 pm
Thanks for your reply.All i can say is that it is practically impossible to get a group of musicians together outside of London here in the UK.We are all so individual and going in diferent directions myself included.Whether it the individual musician or the genre there are so many factors that drive us apart.So maybe one day if i ever make it i can look back and recall these experiences and the dulling experience of just trying to get a group together to make some new music.The memory of creativity seeming non existent amongst a group of musicians.Anyhow xmas and the new year is fast approaching.All the best to you the reader and may you find fulfillment and pursue your dream and the Gods be with you in all your attempts.

#197432 by Starfish Scott
Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:22 pm
Did someone call the grammar police? I'm here.. lol

#208951 by EZ does it
Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:12 pm
I used to visit this forum alot in the past. Don't know why I stopped. I enjoyed the discussion on this topic. I've been a resident here in England for just over 20 years and a member of bandmix for over 6 years. Same comments were made about music culture here in England years ago on this forum. Too generic and manufactured basically. The industry prefers the safe option as opposed to the 'creative' one. England is alive and well with musical ideas. There are loads of bands out there , covering every genre and developing their own material. The only activity that's letting them down is the culture of the music industry and in this day and age of high tech, its quality and availability defining 'creative' can't be easy for these bunch of extortionist.

EZ

#208969 by Starfish Scott
Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:24 pm
I hate to say it, but it's a better scene in the UK than it is over here in the US>. Too many carbon copy clowns over here.