This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#188348 by lyn85968
Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:10 pm
Hello everyone - hope I've picked the right place to post this question. I am a new member just looking for other people to chat music to. I've been learning to play the Celtic Harp (clarsach) for around a year now and I'm completely blown away by the experience. I have no plans to perform or join a band, I'm just playing for my own pleasure but, apart from my wonderful tutor, I have no one else to discuss my amazing new hobby with (preferably in the UK but, hey, I'm not proud) - or at least, no-one else who is in a similar position.

So is this the place I'm looking for or is this mainly a place for pros and those looking for other band members? Thank you for any replies! Lyn

#188428 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:26 pm
Welcome! There's lots of discussions going on here, usually in the 'general' section, and much of it unrelated to music, but you are welcome to join in, start discussions, etc.
Plenty of folks here who work for a living and play music because 'we gotta'.

#188474 by dave83942
Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:29 pm
Wow...Harp...
This is a free for all place I think, not full of pro's.

Is the harp you play a handheld small instrument or
a big one we see in orchestras?

I have to say, Andreas Wollenweider's album
White Winds is a favourite of mine....and I am a Rock guitarist.

I also play BluesHarp...... it's a harmonica, not really a harp at all.

Welcome....

#188523 by lyn85968
Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:28 am
Hi to both of you and thanks for your replies and welcomes. I'm struggling a bit to find my way around the site at the moment so forgive me if I make a mess of everything. Nice to know I won't be completely out of my depth.

My current harp is a 26 string Harpsicle (http://harpsicleharps.com/ - hope it's all right to post that link, btw, I'll delete it if it counts as advertising), which was a great instrument to begin on, but I'm now in the process of having a 34 string Ossian made to my own design and it's one of the most exciting things I've ever done. Both of these are the 'lever' variety (not the big 'concert' type).

I'm in my 50s and have always wanted to play an instrument but never quite got round to it after the usual short guitar/piano stint in my teens. I've taken early retirement for health reasons so at last I have time to learn (and practice) properly and I wish I'd done this years ago. All my friends are very interested but none of them are musicians themselves so it'll be heaven to find a group of people who will happily chat music ad nauseaum without me woryying that I'm boring them to death.

#188545 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:30 pm
I expect that if you do some searching around in your area you will find other Celtic harpists - I saw/heard a tent full of them at an Irish fest here a few years ago. 8)

#188565 by lyn85968
Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:30 pm
They're harder to find here than you might think, Mike. It took me four years to find a tutor! Even now we're very thin on the ground (at least, in the part of England where I live) but I guess that just makes it more fun when I do find one. As you rightly point out, I suspect I might have more success in Ireland.

#188621 by gbheil
Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:00 pm
Welcome . . .

Post what you feel and worry less.
Don't be concerned about if you belong, just be where you want to be. 8)

#188650 by PaperDog
Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:00 am
lyn85968 wrote:They're harder to find here than you might think, Mike. It took me four years to find a tutor! Even now we're very thin on the ground (at least, in the part of England where I live) but I guess that just makes it more fun when I do find one. As you rightly point out, I suspect I might have more success in Ireland.

seems to me you could take over the role of master harpist and give people who discern pro from unpro a good 'what for'... You have ground floor opportunity mate ;)

#188665 by lyn85968
Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:21 am
It's a nice thought. Sadly, I know of only two other local harpers and they're both a lot better than me! Ah well . . .