This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#18701 by Greeniemagic
Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:09 pm
Hey Fastfret..Would that be The Scorpions "Winds Of Change"?

I will go with "Eruption" by EVH

#18703 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:22 pm
"Eruption" had a great solo, the best part of it though is the tapping portions. I snagged a couple of those for my own stuff, lol.

Another favorite solo of mine would probably be "Sweet Child O'Mine" by Guns and Roses (GnR). Slash rocked out on that one, even though he hated the song I hear.

As far as classic rock goes, Jimmy Page's solo in "Dazed and Confused" was awesome.

#18750 by PhrAiLGuitarist
Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:19 pm
Throes of Rejection: Dimebag Darrell
Planet Caravan (Pantera Cover Version): Dimebag Darrell
Repentance: John Petrucci
Trial of Tears: John Petrucci
Airborne: George Bellas
The River Dragon Has Come: Jeff Loomis
Anything by Jody Fisher
Don Pardo Pimpwagon: Ron Thal and Mattias Eklundh
Building The Church: Steve Vai
Blue Powder: Steve Vai
On Sail: Greg Howe
Time: Joe Satriani

Gah, this list would go on and on. lol.

#18760 by neanderpaul
Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:56 pm
TRIPPIN' ON A HOLE IN A PAPER HEART - Stone temple pilots.

#19885 by a7xwarrior
Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:10 am
bring me the horizon-off the heezay
deathklok-thunderhorse
iron maiden-2 minutes to midnight
led zeppelin- achilles' last stand
pink floyd-dogs
between the buried and me-mordecai

wow.i have so many in mind.its gonna take awhile. too busy to type all now

#19896 by Faultline 29
Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:49 am
many a metallica solos...........right now im thinkin of all of em in orion
the 9 solos in hanger 18 from megadeth
always loved the solo in smells like teen spirit from nirvana. it just complements the song so well.
also the dazed and confused and stairway to heaven solos
freebird..............

so many more i could name but i wont

#19919 by scarletrust
Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:22 pm
So many great rock & metal solos mentioned here already. "Flying in a Blue Dream" totally. Metallica? Represent. My man Jimi? Oh, yeah. SRV? Check.

There are so many "shred" solos out there, I thought I'd go with some that I think are more on the "melodic" side. Not that those others don't have melodic phrasing at all......

One that sticks out in my mind is "Time" by Pink Floyd

Here Is No Why - Smashing Pumpkins
Jessica - Allman Bros.
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Beatles (well, Clapton)
Apart - The Cure
November Rain - GnR (don't care for the song, but the solos are sweet)
Trademark - Eric Johnson

OK, I'll stop there.

:wink:

#19956 by Guitaranatomy
Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:18 am
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" was especially great when performed live back in the tribute concert to George Harrison. Clapton played epic solos and really made them into something even more amazing.

I like "November Rain," it was amazing. I like the whole song, awesome solos.

You know what was cool sounding, and it is not exactly a solo, the Coldplay version of "Bittersweet Symphony" done with Richard Ashcroft (Lead singer of the Verve) live for Live 8. I love that song.

Another good one is "Believe" by The Bravery. Finally, I think one of the coolest solos done is "New Years Day." That song is awesome, I am not fond of the chorus, but I like the rest of the song. I like how "The Edge" uses heavy delay on his guitar. I know many people hate effects because they tend to cover up a guitarist's abilities at times, but I love how they sound and do not mind them.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#19965 by scarletrust
Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:35 am
There is some good left hand vibrato in recorded history, but no one can touch Slowhand. Well, there's B.B.

Ah yes, the Edge & his Memory Man......

Did you see the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony when Prince came out in the middle of the song when Petty, Lynne & co. were doing While My Guitar Gently weeps? He tore it up. Man, that guy can play. 8)

#19978 by Guitaranatomy
Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:09 pm
Is that what that was? A ceremony? I saw him solo over it, yeah apparently he is a good guitarist, lol.

As for the vibrato... Well no one can beat B.B.'s famous "Butterfly," lol. Clapton has a great vibrato, I use a very similar one, but I am more prone to using B.B.'s type, with the rotation of the wrist. However, mine is much harder due to the fact it is more so modeled after Kirk Hammett's.

So many greats, lol. But those are the people to idolize, they make us what we are sometimes. Other times we are just creative as it is and make ourselves.

I cannot wait to get a multi-effect pedal and throw the delay on with chorus or flange. Take out that guitar and play "New Years Day," lol. Plus play a bunch of Coldplay songs, and then write my own.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#22695 by Felicity Chicane
Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:18 pm
Comfortably numb

#22837 by Otis6
Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:31 am
So many great solos,Jeff Healey rips it up on "Blue Jeans Blues". My favorite Metal solo wpould have to be George Lynch "Mr. Scary. In my opinion Lynch is very under rated.My favorite Classic Rock solo would be anything by MSG.The best all around solo would be "Voodoo Chile" by Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughn

#22852 by jimmydanger
Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:04 am
Speaking of vibrato, I always liked Trower's use of it. Never get sick of the solo in "Too Rolling Stoned".

#22854 by Needle in a haystack
Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:26 am
Its not all concrete and sidewallks.lol Ya have to bring a country guitar'est to the table.Brad Paisley,The "OLD" Keith Urban, New sh*t's to sappy,Vince Gill,Brent Mason. 8) OK back to the street's. I do like Kenny Wane Shepperd JhonnyLang The guy who plays for Storieville. Kings X guy Great gutiar Player.John Mayer, a few of my favorit's.. :D

Haystack out!

#24430 by RyanStrain3032
Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:14 am
Dragonforce - Through The Fire and Flames

Metallica - One