This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#186935 by J-HALEY
Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:49 am
The first song on my player Katie! My new Child! Thanks to my most beautiful wife for helping me with the mix! I love you Dawn! A special thanks to my niece! God bless you! I was able to post "my version" of Europa! enjoy! :lol:

#186940 by PaperDog
Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:26 am
Excellent Work Jeff! You are a master on that lead work... Love the changes/breaks in the structure... Great balance (Your wife did outstanding on the levels). between acoustic and Electric. Great Song bro! :D

#186949 by J-HALEY
Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:08 pm
At work now listening through different speakers. Crap the volume is too low. Not sure why that is. I did everythinbg by the book! I could tell during the mixdown the levels were a little low. During the mastering process it brings the volume levels down even lower damn! :roll:

#186953 by jsantos
Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:16 pm
That was very good JHaley! I enjoyed it very much. Love the guitar work especially the blues mixed with melodic shredding. You have those tripplets down perfect. Thanks for posting.

#186965 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:44 pm
I'll listen from home. WHen you 'master' it, the volume should be brought up to 'commercial' level (without squawshing it with too much compression.
Did you use a mastering preset on that recorder? That might be the problem. If you don't have any software to boost the volume, I can do it for you, it only takes a few minutes - send me a link to download the WAV file from someplace like Soundcloud, dropbox, etc. mikebirchmusic AT yahoo DOT com

#186967 by PaperDog
Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:54 pm
J-HALEY wrote:At work now listening through different speakers. Crap the volume is too low. Not sure why that is. I did everythinbg by the book! I could tell during the mixdown the levels were a little low. During the mastering process it brings the volume levels down even lower damn! :roll:

I think the Mastering corrects a lot of that and makes the signals a little hotter

#186975 by J-HALEY
Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:47 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:I'll listen from home. WHen you 'master' it, the volume should be brought up to 'commercial' level (without squawshing it with too much compression.
Did you use a mastering preset on that recorder? That might be the problem. If you don't have any software to boost the volume, I can do it for you, it only takes a few minutes - send me a link to download the WAV file from someplace like Soundcloud, dropbox, etc. mikebirchmusic AT yahoo DOT com

That would be awesome Mike and much appreciated I will get that done and send you a link this weekend. In all honesty I tried to raise the volume on that song and Europa last night using an old version of cakewalk pyro. I think the reason for the low volume is that several years ago while doing a lot of writing I had entered those 2 spots for songs and never did anything with them. They just set unused (empty song data) then when I started recording again (almost 4 years later) I used those spots. In hindsite I should have deleted that data and started over. I am thinking that over time if you don't use it there is some degredation. I won't know until I record another song. The other problem is I haven't used that recorder in so long I am having to relearn how to use it LOL! Damn coverbands have kept me so busy I haven't had a chance to record but that is going to change! Any thoughts anyone?

#186996 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:14 pm
When recording digitally, its always best to record with your levels down around -12dB - gives you plenty of headroom when mixing. then you crank the volume back up in the mastering process.

I use Roxio Creator Audio Editor for fast uniform volume increase - it boosts the volume up a few dB at a time, and won't boost anymore once the peaks it 0dB, so it's an easy tool to use.

Advice - that digital recorder may be ok, but once you move up to using a computer for recording, you never look back. :D Automated volume envelopes, unlimted FX and EQ control .... I just sold my Boss BR600 reocrder on Ebay. It served me well as a learning tool, but has been gathering dust for a year now.

#187003 by jimmydanger
Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:08 pm
Sounds good Jeff but yeah the levels are very low. The mix is a little funky too, the acoustic is louder and has more presence than the lead guitar. But it's fine for a demo.

#187008 by J-HALEY
Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:26 pm
jimmydanger wrote:Sounds good Jeff but yeah the levels are very low. The mix is a little funky too, the acoustic is louder and has more presence than the lead guitar. But it's fine for a demo.

Thanks for the input! I am going to remaster it again (I agree) and will fix those things!

#187012 by JCP61
Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:27 pm
A little more monochrome than I am usually attracted too, but I enjoyed it never the less,

good job jeff!
#187016 by Stringdancer
Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:27 am
J-HALEY wrote:The first song on my player Katie! My new Child! Thanks to my most beautiful wife for helping me with the mix! I love you Dawn! A special thanks to my niece! God bless you! I was able to post "my version" of Europa! enjoy! :lol:

Knock, knock… may I come in?
Oh boy JH is going to go ballistic on me anyway here I go with my 2 cents.
First off congrats for your technical skill, unfortunately you’re victim of dreadful disease afflicting millions of solo guitar players who get trapped in showing off their skill at the expanse of a good riff, a melody or a hook thus resulting in a failure to deliver.

With a song title like Katie and the beautiful time signature you’ve chosen, one expects a bit more substance in way of a melody thus giving it more meaning; instead I hear a constant solo filled with fingers calisthenics followed by sound stunts.

Don’t get wrong calisthenics and stunts are nice but not throughout the entire song IMO. Finding the proper balance between the two can make the difference between and average song from a great one.

My advice would be for you to smoke a fat joint, get inspired and come up with a nice melody that Katie can actually hum or whistle since there are no lyrics, then re- record the song starting it with the main motif or melody followed by the calisthenics and stunts and finally ending it with a tasty ending.

Off to the shelter!!!
#187017 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:59 am
J-HALEY wrote:The first song on my player Katie! My new Child! Thanks to my most beautiful wife for helping me with the mix! I love you Dawn! A special thanks to my niece! God bless you! I was able to post "my version" of Europa! enjoy! :lol:

EXCELLENT,,,,, PERIOD. !!!!!!!!!....
#187022 by J-HALEY
Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:01 am
Stringdancer wrote:

Knock, knock… may I come in?
Oh boy JH is going to go ballistic on me anyway here I go with my 2 cents.
First off congrats for your technical skill, unfortunately you’re victim of dreadful disease afflicting millions of solo guitar players who get trapped in showing off their skill at the expanse of a good riff, a melody or a hook thus resulting in a failure to deliver.

With a song title like Katie and the beautiful time signature you’ve chosen, one expects a bit more substance in way of a melody thus giving it more meaning; instead I hear a constant solo filled with fingers calisthenics followed by sound stunts.

Don’t get wrong calisthenics and stunts are nice but not throughout the entire song IMO. Finding the proper balance between the two can make the difference between and average song from a great one.

My advice would be for you to smoke a fat joint, get inspired and come up with a nice melody that Katie can actually hum or whistle since there are no lyrics, then re- record the song starting it with the main motif or melody followed by the calisthenics and stunts and finally ending it with a tasty ending.

Off to the shelter!!!

Have you noticed Mr. Stringdancer I didn't say "Phuk you" from the moment you first set foot back in this Forum? I don't know if you read my recent apology to EVERYONE here on B.M. (yes even you) :wink: One thing you have yet to learn about my "delbert mullet wearing self" is despite my redneck rough around the edge's "I LOVE PEOPLE" even though I get pissed off I get glad just like I get mad! I have taken YOU off ignore because I believe "most" people have some endearing qualities deep down in their heart! For all those out there still trying to figure out a Texan? Texas is a BIG place with a lot of space in between. You might not see another human being for a while! As a result we tend to value friendship to the point that when we don't get the response from someone we consider a friend we get our feelings hurt! don't worry we come to the realization other folks don't see things the way we do at which point we (bless their hart)
Now that, that's out the way I say to you Mr. Stringdancer "you don't know me at all! Bro. this is your opinion and please don't think I am dismissing your appreciated critique of my music. I will spare your music my critique "cause it wouldn't be pretty" and I am afraid your ego couldn't handle it! It is all good you are a human being no less than the stars in the sky and you undoubtedly have your story! Welcome to bandmix my friend! :)