This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#183975 by Tyler Riddim Murphy
Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:29 pm
I'm sort of on a blues binge lately and wanna infuse some of it into my playing. I know blues is sevenths on the the V (and in some cases on the I and IV), and uses swung notes and the pentatonic scale, but is there anything else I would need to know to play the blues?
#184025 by PaperDog
Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:16 am
Tyler Riddim Murphy wrote:I'm sort of on a blues binge lately and wanna infuse some of it into my playing. I know blues is sevenths on the the V (and in some cases on the I and IV), and uses swung notes and the pentatonic scale, but is there anything else I would need to know to play the blues?

You gotta actually experience it. Blues is not just a genre...Its a way of life, and its not something that one 'chooses'

AFter that Yer good to go...

#184026 by Tyler Riddim Murphy
Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:20 am
By experience you mean like walk the walk? Like?

#184037 by MikeTalbot
Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:41 am
gosk.com (guitarist's online survival guide) has some blues scales and chord charts that provide exercise fodder.

Here is a tip I rely on:

consider the cosmic farce that is your life, recognizing that while dreadful, it will never improve and perhaps get worse. Laugh. Drink two shots of bourbon. (cheap wine can be substituted)

Pick up guitar - wail your protestations to a silent sky and bend those strings! Repeat until satisfied. (remembering of course, that you will never truly be satisfied)

Talbot

#184040 by Tyler Riddim Murphy
Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:45 am
Well considering I'm 18, I'll do all of the above, but instead of getting drunk, I'll drink five nonalcoholic beers, pretend to get drunk, get broken up with listen to five hours of Delta Blues, and then play some twelve bar blues and bend some notes! sound about right?

#184087 by PaperDog
Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:00 am
Tyler Riddim Murphy wrote:By experience you mean like walk the walk? Like?

BLues aint a macho contest neither... You walk the way you are born to walk... and its all good...

But Blues is about how the heart reacts to everything and everyone that blocks your way...Blues is the perpetual tale of how ya got around it all...

Finally, there aint nothing cooler on this planet than a cool "old" black man...

He 's the guy we should all be taking our queues from.

#184089 by Tyler Riddim Murphy
Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:05 am
So you just play what you feel and express that in life there will be death but you can get around it ?

#184094 by PaperDog
Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:14 am
Tyler Riddim Murphy wrote:So you just play what you feel and express that in life there will be death but you can get around it ?

Depends on the kind of death you mean. (There are many kinds)

#184097 by Tyler Riddim Murphy
Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:19 am
I'm assuming natural, but I'm sure there are just many blues songs about murder.

#184109 by PaperDog
Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:06 am
Tyler Riddim Murphy wrote:I'm assuming natural, but I'm sure there are just many blues songs about murder.

"Hey Joe" Jimi Hendix
"Down By the River" - Buddy Miles

Although these are not completely Blues per se But they have Blues roots.

#184112 by Tyler Riddim Murphy
Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:15 am
I'm gonna have a tougher time than I thought.

#184366 by fisherman bob
Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:05 am
Tyler Riddim Murphy wrote:I'm gonna have a tougher time than I thought.
. You'll have a tougher time if you try and force it, produce it scientifically. All the music theory in the world won't make you a good bluesman. Just keep playing it, over and over again. Don't worry about "getting" it. Either you'll "get it" or not, and if not what you learn will come in handy in just about any other genre you tackle.

#184367 by Tyler Riddim Murphy
Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:10 am
So just play a bunch of chord progressions along with old recordings until I either get it after a while or get frustrated and give up?

#184371 by PaperDog
Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:33 am
Tyler Riddim Murphy wrote:So just play a bunch of chord progressions along with old recordings until I either get it after a while or get frustrated and give up?

ANother way to look at it... First just relax about it...then, ride the song like that wave you catch when you boogie-board... Let it carry you...You'll see what I mean..

#184373 by Tyler Riddim Murphy
Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:36 am
So play with the song until I get the timing, (which I am) and then play over it (Still working on the first part)