This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#183919 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:37 pm
As far as I am concerned, there's nothing wrong with liking the kind of music you do, and not liking other types. As full-fledged musicians we may choose to look down on those who just 'mix' other people's tunes together and rap over them, or others who do not really create/play anything (like VinnieViolin, haha :wink: ).

But I also think its wrong to look down on others who make music in genres/types we don't personally like. Unfortunately I see it too much (not necessairly here).

Last night at practice for the acoustic 'trio' (the third guy on mando has made only 1 practice out of the last 8 I've been at), I was talking about the short solo set I did Saturday night at a local bar during my friend's show. The defacto trio leader and his brother (bass) had talked about going over there, but they didn't show up. 'Leader' asked what songs I did, I listed them, and after each one (except the last) he said 'hate it'
- I was going to call him out on why he said that, but then figured discretion was better. Confirms with me, though, that I won't stick around with these guys once something better materializes.

The set list I did Saturday (all solo on acoustic):
Tupelo Honey - Van Morrison
Things We Said Today - Beatles
Friend of the Devil - Grateful Dead
Time - Pink Floyd
Signs - 5 Man Electrical Band/Tesla - when I named this one, 'leader' didn't recognize it at first and then said something about Sting covering it :roll:

#183921 by jw123
Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:01 pm
I think when I was younger I was pretty bad about dissing every sort of music that I didnt personally like, but as Ive aged Ive come to appreciate genres that I never thought I would.

I dont know why you even mess with anyone who doesnt have a more open mind than that to diss what you are doing. To me thats just musical immaturity, plain and simple, we should always try to listen to things and learn from them, doesnt matter if its folk, punk, hard rock or disco, or even country for that matter. And Im one of those guys who at age 20 wouldnt give country or disco the time of day, I would call you a traitor for listening to that kind of music, but today I listen to almost anything, and I think I pick up little things from it all, that I try to put into my music.

#183934 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:25 pm
I'm only sticking it out to make some money and improve my acoustic lead guitar work. Like I said, as soon as something else comes along, it will 'Bye-bye, call me when you need me for a paying gig!"

#183936 by Kramerguy
Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:56 pm
people are judgmental, it's just part of life.

I try to keep myself in check, I even once defended Britany Spears on a music forum.. lol. I've also taken shots on other musicians, so I'm guilty as anyone else.

You know what snobs bother me the most? Beer snobs!

I don't like heavy, dark, pale, wheat, hoppy, trendy, overly-flavored manly beer.

I like miller lite.

I hate when ppl constantly tell me I need to drink "REAL" beer, rag on the beer I drink, get all snobby.. it's so damn stupid, but aggravating also.

#183940 by J-HALEY
Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:01 pm
Kramerguy wrote:people are judgmental, it's just part of life.

I try to keep myself in check, I even once defended Britany Spears on a music forum.. lol. I've also taken shots on other musicians, so I'm guilty as anyone else.

You know what snobs bother me the most? Beer snobs!

I don't like heavy, dark, pale, wheat, hoppy, trendy, overly-flavored manly beer.

I like miller lite.

I hate when ppl constantly tell me I need to drink "REAL" beer, rag on the beer I drink, get all snobby.. it's so damn stupid, but aggravating also.

I don't like a "Beer Snob" either they suck! I am diabetic and can only drink Michelob Ultra its a low carb beer that taste like HORSE PISS! You know that cartoon where the horse is drinking out of a bucket that says Miller Lite and pissing in a bucket that says "Michelob Ultra" Read my forum signature below now thats REAL beer! Heck the most interesting man in the world drinks it. It must be good!:wink:

#183941 by Kramerguy
Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:22 pm
J-HALEY wrote:I don't like a "Beer Snob" either they suck! I am diabetic and can only drink Michelob Ultra its a low carb beer that taste like HORSE PISS! You know that cartoon where the horse is drinking out of a bucket that says Miller Lite and pissing in a bucket that says "Michelob Ultra" Read my forum signature below now thats REAL beer! Heck the most interesting man in the world drinks it. It must be good!:wink:

LOL, the most common one I hear is people tell me miller lite is what they piss out after drinking a 'real' beer...

#183942 by jimmydanger
Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:28 pm
The only American beer I will drink is Sam Adams. Snob? You bet; Miller Lite is for those with a mangina lol.

#183946 by KLUGMO
Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:55 pm
As refered to earlier, "even Country music" ha ha ha

We chase apple moonshine with beer. Try that! long hairs. :lol:
Country people have the thickest skin of the lot.
Country music is reality music. Everyone can relate to the lyrics of at least one song.

F*** that guy Mike.[/b]

#183947 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:57 pm
Musical snobbery is based on insecurity. They put others down, hoping it will elevate themselves.

Beer snobbery is based on facts which can be measured.

There are only 2 beers in America: Shiner Bock and Sam Adams. Anyone who does not know this has never truly lived. All other brands are merely pretending to be beer...and an embarrassing comment on America's superficiality.

#183950 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:16 pm
I feel sorry for those like Jeff, who's physical requirements make them drink horse piss. :wink:
Sam Adams is ok, when you have to drink factory beer. Go find some microbrewery stuff, though.
On the larger microbrew scale, Otter Creek (from Vermont) makes a great Copper Ale, and their Summer Ale isn't bad, either - not too fruity like most summers.
Red Hook (Portsmouth, NH) has some good beers, and free tours (with tastings).

I try to find microbrew taverns when I travel.
Bluegrass Brewing Company in Lousiville, KY and Big River Brewery in Nashville were two I found last year while on vacation and both had some tasty brews!

#183952 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:18 pm
I didn't mean to diss micro-breweries. Yes, they make the best beer on this side of the Atlantic.

Of the bottled variety there is no real choice in America.

#183953 by jimmydanger
Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:20 pm
I didn't mention it Mike because it's a microbrew but Bell's Two Hearted Ale is the baddest beer in the world! 7.5% alcohol, good for what "ales" ya!

I'm as a picky about beer as I am about the people I will play with. Both need to be reliable, tasteful and smooth lol.

#183955 by J-HALEY
Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:29 pm
jimmydanger wrote:The only American beer I will drink is Sam Adams. Snob? You bet; Miller Lite is for those with a mangina lol.

Sam Adams is some damn good beer! Jimmy you ever try Shiner Bach?

#183959 by Tyler Riddim Murphy
Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:09 pm
I hate when people assume you must not be very good because of the genre you play! My brother plays mostly Hard Rock and Metal and I play mostly Acoustic stuff, Reggae and Rocksteady, and most people assume he's a better player even though I've played three more years and can play most blues and rock very well.