This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#18329 by neanderpaul
Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:43 am
Fugazi slayed, weezer was pristine, Alan Jackson sounded better than the albums (man those nashville cats are PROs! ) Who did you folks see that rocked the house??

#18338 by StevenH
Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:21 am
It's been ages since I've been to a concert, but I have seen some great ones. Here are a few of the best.

Mad Dogs and Englishmen (Joe Cocker and Leon Russell)
DEVO
Pink Floyd
Alice Cooper
Elton John
Grateful Dead
The Band
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Marty Robbins
Sam and Dave
Max Roach
B.B King
Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen
The Pointer Sisters
The Ramones
Stevie Wonder

#18344 by HowlinJ
Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:26 pm
I believe it was back in "67". A couple of my band mates and I from "The Lost Minds", got on the bus and cruised on down to the "Big Apple" to see the big "Murrey the K" extravaganza.
I seem to remember the headliners as being "Mitch Rider" and"Wilson Pickett". Lower down on the marque were enblazened the names of groups like "The Blues Project" ;" The Mandella "; "The Blues Magoos" ; and on the very bottom,"THE WHO" and "CREAM"! ..Welcome to 1967 !
The overall sound was as good as any I"ve heard since, and the groups ranged from "great" to "increadable".
I'll never forget when the M.C. introduced "Cream".... "And NOW! from "merry ol' England!... Featuring Jack Bruce on bass, ( no response ) ; Ginger Baker on drums! ( still no responce ) ; and Eric Clapton on guitar! (at which time my pal Jim and I faced each other and in awe whispered " Did he say CLAPTON?)......... Still no reaction from the crowd ! Still , those guys as well as "The Who" rocked the house BIG TIME!
Last edited by HowlinJ on Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#18345 by jw123
Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Trans Siberian Orchestra sounded great. They werent loud, and you could hear all the instruments, the dynamics were great. Probably the best sounding show Ive ever been too.

Along the same lines. Prince sounded rally good to me. Not to loud but very clear to where you hear all the instruments and all the dynamics.

For a loud rock concert, I went and saw Tool a few monthes ago. They sounded good and like the records, but they were just a little too loud for me. I cant believe I said that. They were very boring, if they didnt have all the video stuff going there would not have been anything to look at. But for the volume they sounded good.

#18349 by Guitaranatomy
Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:46 pm
Hmm... Well... Here is my list:

Saliva
Staind
Trapt
Godsmack (They sounded good, just no stage presence!)
Incubus
Our Lady Peace
Drop Z (Bar band)

I know it is a short list, I have not been to many concerts.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#18364 by jimmydanger
Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:03 pm
It would be easier just to ask me who I haven't seen, I've seen so many great concerts. Personal favorites include King Crimson, David Bowie, Bruce, Devo, Roxy Music, Steely Dan, The Cure, The Fixx, etc.

#18494 by Irish Anthony
Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:17 pm
well i loved different bands for different reasons but here goes 1.radiohead the tightest band ive ever seen,2. U2 the best entertainment value,3.david bowie sheer class,4.nirvana best energy,5.daftpunk..robot rock,6.the pogues best party band,7.rage aginst the machine.. f**k u i wont do what ya tell me....saw them at the vegoose in vegas a while back and there just as angry as they have always been. :D

#18507 by Guitaranatomy
Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:34 pm
irish anthony wrote:well i loved different bands for different reasons but here goes 1.radiohead the tightest band ive ever seen,2. U2 the best entertainment value,3.david bowie sheer class,4.nirvana best energy,5.daftpunk..robot rock,6.the pogues best party band,7.rage aginst the machine.. f**k u i wont do what ya tell me....saw them at the vegoose in vegas a while back and there just as angry as they have always been. :D

Awesome, you saw Rage Against the Machine and Nirvana, and you got to watch "The Edge," of U2 play guitar. That I would like to do, lol.

#18512 by Irish Anthony
Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:46 pm
ah yes the edge is a fantastic player,most of the purests frown on his playing due to the amount of effects and such that he uses but he can kick it with the best of em....and if you really want to see what he can do check out the live version of "bullet the blue sky" jimi hendrix would be proud of him.

#18516 by Guitaranatomy
Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:07 pm
"The Edge" is a great guitarist in my opinion, I like the effects. I am big on effects, and this guy knows how to use them with his guitar. I am listening right now to "Bullet the blue sky," the live version, the Jimi Hendrix thing in the beginning was cool, but the song itself is not half bad either. I have never heard this, thanks for the recommendation man.

#18532 by Ilovedrummers
Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:59 am
Nickelback is the best live band I've seen in a long time.... a up and coming band Eygpt Central cd releasing on 1/15/08 rocked last saturday night....and turning point (local band)...all are awesome live shows
#18560 by fisherman bob
Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:24 am
1) Muddy Waters (saw them four times in the 80's)

2) Bill Blue Band (saw them numerous times in the 80's, actually my absolute favorite live band I ever saw)

3) Ventures (saw them one time in the 80's, didn't really want to go but was dragged out by a guitar player in a band I was in. Wasn't real into surf but was absolutely blown away, could not believe what an incredible bass player they had)

4) John Lee Hooker ( saw him three times, but the first time was definitely the best, I believe that time he had Tinseley Ellis playing with him, what a RED HOT guitar player he was)

5) B.B. King at Carnegie Hall (most powerful blues singer ever, period)
#18561 by Guitaranatomy
Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:54 am
fisherman bob wrote:1) Muddy Waters (saw them four times in the 80's)

2) Bill Blue Band (saw them numerous times in the 80's, actually my absolute favorite live band I ever saw)

3) Ventures (saw them one time in the 80's, didn't really want to go but was dragged out by a guitar player in a band I was in. Wasn't real into surf but was absolutely blown away, could not believe what an incredible bass player they had)

4) John Lee Hooker ( saw him three times, but the first time was definitely the best, I believe that time he had Tinseley Ellis playing with him, what a RED HOT guitar player he was)

5) B.B. King at Carnegie Hall (most powerful blues singer ever, period)

God are you lucky... Those are the best blues/jazz artists ever... I wish I was there to see them perform.

#18610 by fisherman bob
Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:07 am
and certainly all of them were a huge influence on me. I also got to see Albert King, Albert Collins, Canned Heat (a terribly disappointing gig), The Nighthawks, The original Fabulous Thunderbirds (their original bass player passed away recently), James Cotton, to name a few. There's some contemporary players that are certainly worth checking out: Joe Bonamassa, Anthony Gomes, Papa Chubby, etc. Twenty five years from now there will be young guitarists like yourself who wish they could have seen artists you will see perform soon. The blues isn't dead, just transforming as usual. Enjoy...
#18611 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:14 am
fisherman bob wrote:and certainly all of them were a huge influence on me. I also got to see Albert King, Albert Collins, Canned Heat (a terribly disappointing gig), The Nighthawks, The original Fabulous Thunderbirds (their original bass player passed away recently), James Cotton, to name a few. There's some contemporary players that are certainly worth checking out: Joe Bonamassa, Anthony Gomes, Papa Chubby, etc. Twenty five years from now there will be young guitarists like yourself who wish they could have seen artists you will see perform soon. The blues isn't dead, just transforming as usual. Enjoy...

I will take a look at those guys and see if I like their sound, thanks for the recommendations.