This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#180523 by Faulty Wiring
Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:28 am
Just did a cover of Zoe Jane. First song I've uploaded here. All thoughts, comments are welcome. I know there's a part with an echo. Its intentional. Took two separate recordings of that section and overlaid them. I may work on it a bit more since it could be a bit better.

#180532 by Faulty Wiring
Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:05 pm
That bad?

#180535 by TamsNumber4
Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:29 pm
Well Mr. Wiring...if that is your real name.....LOL!!

I will tell you how I see this.

You are a self proclaimed vocalist and lyricist, yet you posted a cover song.

That isn't a very original way to kick off a post in my own eyes, some others may not agree (this is just my opinion), but I do understand that you were singing this song, but I don't know the original so I'm not sure if this is Karaoke or your new interpretation of this tune.

Your voice is nice, but it is hard to tell because the recording is so distorted (fuzzy sounding), the mix isn't great and the echo part makes the words difficult to understand.

For me personally (snd this is my own opinion), it is hard to appeal to singer/songwriters without some original work.

I also feel that there are some fantastic musicians on this board and if you want to impress them, you should come at them with something that borders on "really good, if not great".

There are songwriting boards where you can hone your skills and find collaborators (which you mention on your bandmix site), covers are not welcomed at some, but you can check out "Just Plain Folks", I post there and it is a supportive community of people who dish out comments and advice, a great place to learn, grow and put together some originals.

I think it is great you are working on music and open to collaboration, as a singer/songwriter myself, I would urge you to find your own sound and voice.

I like your photo, reminds me of my college library....good times!

Tammy

#180539 by Faulty Wiring
Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:35 pm
Thanks Tammy. I actually got my name legally changed to Faulty Wiring. ;p I kid. I'm just looking for critiques on my voice really. Its more of a karaoke of Zoe Jane by Staind. I wish I could have gotten the instrumentals a little clearer, but I couldn't find a straight instrumental version and had to resort to trying to cut the vocals out of the original song, and the song lost its crispness.

I'd like to find out if it would be worth my time to invest in a vocal coach when I can afford it. If I'm overrating my voice, then I won't make that investment. Either way, I'll be putting original work on here in awhile, once I sort out the voice thing. I'll go and find a vocalist to collaborate with, if nothing else.