This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#144586 by Eddie V
Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:19 pm
I like it..........."guitarmageddon"!

Good stuff.

#144591 by jimmydanger
Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:15 pm
Good stuff, but it's a little too STP for me. Rock on!

#145228 by drag57
Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:40 pm
you asked for opinions so,your using three guitars because each guitar sounds weak on it`s own.it`s like iron maiden i`d rather have john sykes than those three weak sounding players.

#146659 by ChaosZen
Mon May 16, 2011 2:38 pm
It's a live style I'd like to see more people experiment with, but it's not new. In the Fayetteville NC area, a band called Sworn To Darkness has had the same thing going on, but each stood out a little more by using different styles and FX. STD's only downside was that it was an overly common screemo-metal band on the vocal end.

I'm currently hoping to find a few others to do something similar using two bass. I play FX-laden bass, usually either in a neo-industrial jazz-funk style or distorted metal style, kind of grungy, similar to the bass-like sounds of Coil and hoping to find another non-territorial, more traditional bassist for a clean, more conventional sound to mix in, or else a different style of play and FX to blend and mix.

I like what you're doing, but would recomend changing up the sounds just a little so each one stands out with a little more definition.

#166105 by ktel60
Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:53 am
Southern boogie tended towards 3 leads (Marshall Tucker, Wet Willie). The thing is to get individual sounds for each player - e.g. Doobie Brothers having Strat, Paul, and 335 tones

#166124 by jimmydanger
Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:10 pm
The guitarists in Wishbone Ash used a Flying V and a Strat to get a range of tones.

#166357 by MikeTalbot
Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:35 am
Mr. Zen

I got to play with another bass player doing the more conventional roll plus a very hot guitar and drummer. Only once. It was grand.

Honestly though, I don't know how that would work in th long run.

I'd certainly like to try it again though.

Talbot

#180186 by Mister_Rittenhouse
Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:34 am
My last band used a 3-guitar attack, usually LP/335/Explorer. Towards the end, when our peieces got reeeeeally complicated, it made for a helluva massive sound. I miss that sound, not so much the guys who made it.

#180198 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:54 pm
We've got 3 guitars in our Beatles tribute band, Instant Karma. I play acoustic for many songs, but on occasion we are all playing electric, or two of us on acoustic - and we play different parts, not all doing the same thing.
Of course on many songs either me or one other guitarist (or both of us) will be playing keyboards instead.
It's all about presenting a variety of sound in the tunes.

The Outlaws were famous for their 3 guitars, but the songs all had the same overall sound.

#180209 by jw123
Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:47 pm
To me there are a couple of approaches, in heavy metal music having multiple guitar players playing basically the same thing really thickens it up, without hearing the differences between guitars til one solos.

Now take a song like Sweet Home Alabama and you can pick out all the different guitars, i think it takes a lot of respect between players to do this, in my case I aint got no respect for other guitarist so it wouldnt work.

Of course we just a weekend warrior cover band so why would I want to split the money anymore than I have too, for me being the only guitar is a challenge that I just love.

When I record I like to double my rythym guitar with a LP and a Strat, they just kind fill in the holes for the other.

But my hat is off to people that can make this work.

It would be cool to do harmony leads with another guitar player, but hell I just use my whammy pedal for that, sounds tight everytime! LOL!

#180212 by Lynard Dylan
Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:11 pm
I think Mr McKracken's videos speak
volumes. The boys are talented, just
wish them success.

You can make anything work if you try

In anything I've ever done it's never been
about the money, it's been about making me happy.

I read a thread by Mr McKracken a year or two ago,
about why he got in the music business, it was funny
and held a lot of truth also.

You guys rock Mr Mckracken, anybody that says you
don't are wannabes.

Guitar players or not the more guys you have in the band,
the harder it seems to make it work. You guys know the
routine, personalities, old ladies, drugs and alcohol to name
a few.

#180302 by MikeTalbot
Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:16 am
I've been thinking about this. I think I'd rather have a violin than another guitarist. Two more guitarists? No.

i've played a lot of three piece where I was on bass and rarely did I miss the second guitar. The bass player has to actually work for a living to make that happen but there it is.

When I play guitar I sometimes like to have another guitarist - just not always sure how to approach that. Not comfortable with the traditional lead/ rythym roles.

Talbot

#180337 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:57 pm
It all depends on the music, of course. A Skynard or Outlaws song with 1 guitar would sound WAY empty. Early Beatles music, ok with 1 (plus keys) for some songs, but other Beatles songs, no way (Sgt. Peppers for example has 4 parts, but can be covered by 2 or 3).

#181203 by XhaDoW-6
Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:44 am
My first band had 3 guitar players I was the third

It made are breakdowns really awesome and allowed us to do milotic and dark reffing styles without sacrificing aggressiveness

The states got crowded sometimes though