This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Mics, pre-amps, boards, etc.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#151336 by Alter Doxology
Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:15 am
I have heard many many good things about Mac's regarding recording music and it's user friendly software. Currently I have a Dell Inspiron & Audiocity for my editing software. I've yet to get an interface to recording w/ clarity b/t my amp and laptop. Currently what I'm having to do is run a 1/8" dual male cable from my RP90 pedal's headphone jack to my laptop's mic jack to remove the external background noise. Obviously it isn't the best setup but certainly "workable". I've learned I need to get an audio interface to remove a lot of the "hum" and crackling in my recordings.

The reason for my post is to ask 2 questions and to see the opinions and preferences of guys with more experience than me on

A: Are Macs the way to go or no?
B: Perhaps more practical right now, what model recording audio interface am I going to get the best value and user friendliness from for under $150?

My Gear includes:

Schecter Damien Solo Elite
Hartke SB-15 bass
Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Crate VTX 15 Digital Amp
Digitech RP90 Processing Pedal

I'd like to upgrade on my pedal build my own board & also pickups for my bass but that's for another post.

Thanks and keep rockin'!
Scott

#151343 by RGMixProject
Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:25 pm
If your gonna stay with Microsoft then use the Alesis Multimix USB with Mixcraft digital multitrack software however, Mac is much better.

#152664 by Cajundaddy
Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:32 pm
In my project studio I use both a stand alone Roland VS2000 multitrack recorder and a MacBook Pro with Protools and M-Audio interface. Great sound but complicated and big $$$$.

For simple solo projects or live recordings I use a Zoom H1. It sounds great and is butt simple to get good results for $100. Worth a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmT00jOD ... re=related

#153082 by JamieSeekingHousematesFor
Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:27 am
If you can afford a mac, get one.

If you can't, have a look at Cubase and Sonar - both I have used extensively and while not as easy to navigate as Logic or Pro Tools, they're still great.

Reaper and Digital Performer and meant to be good but that's only from reviews/word of mouth.

Interface wise, I'd recommend most M-Audio products. Also have a look at the TC Konnekt 6. Probably far better in comparison and not much more expensive if you only need a small I/O count. I'm using the Konnekt 48 at the mo and it's great.

#153104 by Starfish Scott
Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:55 pm
Be careful, Sonar 7 + 8 are resource intensive.

(your old machine will not push it when you have too many tracks)

Sonar 6 is resource light and easier to get to run properly on a strong single core machine.

#153935 by Wrong_Writer
Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:55 pm
I've been reading praise for Garage Band on the Mac for years but in my work life I have to use PC so I never got to try it. They now make Garage Band for PC so I'm giving it a try. I get the feeling it is aimed at the less experienced home recording aficionado but since that is me, that's okay :) From what I've seen so far it looks like it will meet my immediate needs.

Re: Mac Vs PC: Traditionally PCs were marketed to the business community and Macs to the artistic creative niche. While Macs still appear to have an edge on the number of products for the artist I see that gap closing fast. I see no point in spending the money on a good Mac when I already have a good PC and the selection of composing and recording tools for PC continues to grow. Plus the technology of Virtual Machines is getting to the point where it is or soon will be feasible to run a virtual Mac OS on your PC and have the best of both worlds. I already run a virtual Mac for some less resource intensive software. A state of the art PC could probably run all of the recommended Mac apps in a virtual Mac OS environment with no problem.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide and how it works out once you know.

Cheers,

Glen
WW

#179667 by adina728
Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:26 am
Nice Post…Thanks For sharing the info.

#179677 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:17 pm
Old post you dredged up! :wink:

I recommend anyone exploring home recording to go to homerecording.com, read all the articles and join the user forum. Tons of good information there - accelerated my learning curve 10000%.