This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of Canada.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#16177 by Irminsul
Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:40 am
TheDeepEnd1 wrote:We are better to culture the festival venues. People will eventually return to live music.

Thank you. I have been preaching the festival venue here till I'm blue in the face. BandMix has this knee-jerk, default tendency to judge "the scene" by clubs and bars.

Also, amen on the return of the value of live music. I saw it just last August when I attended an outdoor performance of the Utah Symphony playing Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture (with the live cannons and everything!). I looked around at the audience and was amazed to see that half or more were in their early 20s. These "kids" are obviously craving great live music again. I think they are getting maxed out on the harder-louder-faster media assault. At some point the mind just numbs and shuts down, and we go back to the root - great music.

#16218 by Starfish Scott
Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:42 pm
That's a good name for a hardcore band, "Assaulted By Media". lol

#16630 by loudbob1955
Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:48 am
TheDeepEnd1 wrote:Very interesting forum. I've just reactivated myself in the business over the last 6 years and conditions sure have changed.
I can appreciate the views by the likes of Captain Scot and Prevost82.

Stricking a balanced perspective appears to be the way to approach this supported with some major canvasing/marketing for live music.
I think that everyone on this forum can agree that we will all have different ways of looking at the business and that there are all types out there with which we will have to content with. The fact remains that we are musician/performers and due to our creative nature we will be a bit on the flacky side. Getting organised for some of us is a tall order.

Much can be said for being a good showman as well as standing up for the material that you decide to perform. The most enjoyable performances that I remember are the ones that comprised a reasonable amount of showmanship which was usually overshadowed by a awesome performance.

Some of us will lean more towards showmanship than artist and vice versa. Different strokes for different folks!

The biggest change that I can see is that bars or clubs have fallen into the hands of short term investment types who are looking for a qick return on their investment and you have people managing these places who are looking to satisfy those investors more than satisfy the client. Canned music, get 'em in and get 'em out.
Drinks are too expensive. People are drinking at home before going out.
It appears as though the bar/club venue is not seeing the live performers as an investment component right now.
We are better to culture the festival venues. People will eventually return to live music.

I love doing Festivals. The crowds really enjoy themselves and seem to enjoy the Music more,too.

8)

LB

#17646 by Shima
Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:46 am
:
Captain Scott said:You want to do what is equivalent to the moral musical majority, go right ahead but don't put me down as I have the balls to play what I want, regardless of what I get paid.

I dont have balls but I totally agree with you!~ dammit the music should be a passion! and you love it enougth for make it liked by the people! and if they dont like at all....who cares? you like it! it,s the most important point...I mean the good band are normaly true band playing for the passion and the adventure than the lil guy searching for popular sh*t, girls and money....the music is an art before everything...the business is something coming with it! since everyone would want to do it...live from is music but for start business you could start by love what you are doing

sorry I had to say it I really like when I someome else protecting the fondation of the music.....thanks captain :wink

#17657 by TheDeepEnd1
Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:08 pm
Chère Shima,

Il me semble que tu serais mieux servi de communiquer en français... jeune branche.

#17667 by RhythmMan
Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:48 pm
Well, I'm one of those guys who cares if the audience likes my music.
I play the right music for the right audience, and if they didn't like it, it could only mean that I wasn't any good. And I'd need to practice a whole lot more.
I'm not there just for self-gratification. If people didn't love my music, I'd be playing elsewhere . . . or I'd stay at home practicing, writing, or practicing, or recording, or practicing, or practicing , or practicing . . . .
:)
. . . get my drift?
Peace.

#17694 by Shima
Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:05 am
TheDeepEnd1 wrote:Chère Shima,

Il me semble que tu serais mieux servi de communiquer en français... jeune branche.

hehe biensur ça serait beaucoup plus facile mais beaucoup de personne ici ne connaissent pas le français...nous somme quand même dans une forum canadien :roll: je crois que je parle mieux japonais que je parle anglais...honte a moiXD sans joke s'il y a des corrections a faire genez vous pas de me le dire je suis toujours enclin a lamelioration :wink:

for rythmMan the only think I can say is: you have many kind of musician...you have some doing this for a career...some doing this for a dream, some doing it only for the fun

you see I am in the category dream...I alrealy have a good job paying really well(an another dream I realised in my life) and now I want to realize my second one:P

anyway just for say all the kind of musician are good...I mean it's like taste you can't really argument about it. Just let everyone use the way the want and let's discuss only for the fun of see different's opinion?

#17861 by TheDeepEnd1
Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:05 pm
Désolé jeune branche....
Continu a parler.....mon anglais n'était pas bien fort quand je suis déménagé du nord des grands lacs pour arriver au sud de la province.

J'ai tout le temp aimé la culture japonaise.

#17912 by Starfish Scott
Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:27 pm
Your audience is going to like what they like, independent of what you play or say.

They say "f**k you, I listen to what I like", so I say "f**k you, I play what I want to play".

#17923 by Irminsul
Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:16 pm
I think it's a mix of both.

Audiences are so much more receptive than you think. They pick up on all sorts of things from a performer, down to that performers confidence and sense of self. I've personally seen audiences warm to a performer who was resolved and faithful in what they were doing, even if the music itself wouldn't necessarily appeal to them outside of that performance.

Some performers even go the other way, and plant hecklers in their audience to create some tension they can play off of. I've seen Jello Biafra's spoken word shows several times, and once when he was here in Salt Lake City, some punk chick stood up in the middle of something he was saying and screamed out "You're nothing but a f**k sellout!" From there Jello did a hilarious response to her. I found out later, because I actually knew the chick, that Jello paid her to heckle him with that line so he could address it.

I saw a similar incident at a Laurie Anderson show, but I'm still not sure if it was staged. It was effective though.

#17955 by HowlinJ
Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:49 pm
Irmy,
The lady that Jello retained as a heckler is called a "stooge" in entertainment jargen.

Ron,
I,for one, respect your opinions.

Fellow Wild OL' Men,
VERY GOOD TOPIC.......In my neck o"Penn's Woods"A good "beerjoint band"can play for anywere from $0 to $100 per man.(before..."gulp"...taxes.)
Everyones trip is different .

#17976 by Irminsul
Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:29 pm
HowlinJ wrote:Irmy,
The lady that Jello retained as a heckler is called a "stooge" in entertainment jargen.... .

"Shill" actually, in this neck of the woods. And it's not limited to musicians. Politicians have planted softball questioners in the audiences for their news conferences and speeches, forever.

#18004 by RhythmMan
Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:31 pm
What do you call the people who sit in the audience yelling "Freebird?"
Is there any particular term for the people who scream out the names of songs which you really, really don't want to play?

#18029 by Irminsul
Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:03 pm
Yeah.

"ASSHOLES".

#18034 by Guitaranatomy
Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:16 pm
Irminsul wrote:Yeah.

"ASSHOLES".

Lol. I would agree or I could answer that in another way. What do we call these people who yell songs they want to hear (that you do not want to play)? "The Audience." They may be pains in the ass, but it is their choice.

I love the idea of joining a band someday, but it is going to suck when all of them tell me I have to play a song that I do not like. I am not so good at covering something if I do not feel it.

Oh well, that is life!

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.