This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Would you need 1.5-2 million dollars to make an album?

6%
94%

#172366 by GuitarMikeB
Mon May 07, 2012 1:27 pm
Yeah, make sure your gear is covered in a separate insurance rider - your van insurance won't cover all equipment losses in event of theft or accident.
Figure on a hotel room (or 2, depending on how many are in the band) every couple of nights for showers when you can't mooch off of friends.
And when you can't shower every morning, a change of clothes (clean ones!) is really neccesary, so have a couple of rolls of quarters ready for laundry.
Road food can take its toll, too - try to eat healthy, ask folks ahead of time for restaurant advice so you're not stuck with fast food and bad pizza all the time. Stop at good grocery stores for salad bar meals or for ingredients to make a decent meal (potato or pasta salads, etc) Places like Whole Foods have big hot/cold bars with healthy choices, and when you think about it, it really is no more expensive than fast food.

Of course all this is moot if you get one of these new RVs for touring: http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2 ... llion?lite

#172503 by Starfish Scott
Tue May 08, 2012 5:13 pm
Oh a "thinking" bass player...lovely.

What's next? a drummer that's a musician? LMAO

#172706 by Starfish Scott
Thu May 10, 2012 7:29 pm
Dregonfly wrote:Chief Engineer Scott:

I am respectfully asking you to keep future negative comments to yourself. Any response I have gotten from you has been unwelcome and plainly... a DOWNER. Knock it off.

I'm here to learn and grow as a musician.

I am respectfully telling you to shhh, stick a potato in your mouth.

I sincerely hope I am not impeding your ability to learn and grow.

If I thought I was, I would turn it up and stunt your growth forever. lol

You'd be a gnome woman playing an upright bass. lol

Did I ever tell you that i know voodoo? lol

I need a bat wing to finish your hex...

#172713 by PaperDog
Thu May 10, 2012 9:57 pm
Dregonfly wrote:They may be old for YOU, but I just read it! :D
Instead of making a new thread, which would just take up more space, as well as leave the basis for my question without reference, I commented.

When my band regroups this winter, we want to play more and travel more. I am determined to fund our trip by playing. I figure make a point A to B to C, etc, plan. Then, call to see which gigs we can fit in between, busk, hand out demo CDs, sell full CDs..... I'm saving for a van to haul us all around in. AAA is the BEST x-mas gift I ever get!

Any tips for the future trip would be appreciated!
I figure, camping, walmart parking lots, camping stove, visit friends' houses to get the much needed showers in. (A friend mentioned Travelers' Insurance?)

Sounds like you gonna have some great fun.. a true journey... unhindered by the trappings which often surround us...
You pretty much named all the right stuff .
You an the band should Agree on ONE credit Card Acct and use that for your Motels/Diners/ Bars/ and everything else that associates to the tour effort. (Or pay cash...Either way, hold on to receipts. In cases of cash, try not to carry too much of it around...but have some on hand.

#172753 by GuitarMikeB
Fri May 11, 2012 12:38 pm

I am respectfully asking you to keep future negative comments to yourself. Any response I have gotten from you has been unwelcome and plainly... a DOWNER. Knock it off.

Guitar Mike B:

Thanks for the tips! I'll be looking into different insurances for sure. That RV is incredible! .... When I win the lottery. Yup.

Don't let Scotty get to you, one kick in the balls and he quiets right down, just like any rabid dog.
Keep us updated when you hit the road - a laptop with wireless and Starbucks will be your friend! Keep an eye on the weather, too, that way.

#172783 by Starfish Scott
Fri May 11, 2012 6:05 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:

Guitar Mike B:

Thanks for the tips! I'll be looking into different insurances for sure. That RV is incredible! .... When I win the lottery. Yup.

Don't let Scotty get to you, one kick in the balls and he quiets right down, just like any rabid dog.
Keep us updated when you hit the road - a laptop with wireless and Starbucks will be your friend! Keep an eye on the weather, too, that way.

LOL Uh-huh Mike, you best break out your "Grecian Formula" because if your sh*t wasn't grey to begin with, it'd def be after.

PS: Love your tunes, kids..and that goes for the both of ya.

#172815 by GuitarMikeB
Fri May 11, 2012 8:55 pm
Chief Engineer Scott wrote:LOL Uh-huh Mike, you best break out your "Grecian Formula" because if your sh*t wasn't grey to begin with, it'd def be after.

PS: Love your tunes, kids..and that goes for the both of ya.

I don't even know what the first part means, but my hair IS getting greyer and longer every week! Thanks foe the comment, if anyone listens to my songs its; good (whether they like them or not!)

#172840 by PaperDog
Sat May 12, 2012 1:32 am

Guitar Mike B:

Dragonfly.. its no use getting upset over Scott. I used to get upset until I realized he actually can be a lovable bastard... The trick is time... (and make sure to allow for some days in the month when he goes beer guzzling or similar )... He's likely to wander onto the forums and start drooling on some of us LOL! Other than that , he's got a workable charm... And...he actually has some good music up...

#172915 by Starfish Scott
Sat May 12, 2012 11:18 pm
No, I don't...

I don't post music because I aspire to be like the majority of bandmix in general, asleep at the wheel and no music to speak of.

And whatever nice stuff you said Paper, it's all a lie.

I am a mean bastard and I tell the truth in such a way that you won't want to hear it and god help you if you post something truly awful.
I'll tell you even when others won't and I'll entertain myself at your expense.

Isn't that what you wanted to hear?