This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#172389 by PaperDog
Mon May 07, 2012 7:25 pm
jake_in_sterling wrote:
Slacker G wrote:
" Just seems like all everyone wants to do anymore is sit in their bedroom and record every idea they come up with. That would make me go crazy!"

Had it crossed your mind that when you play music live, it goes into the air and disappears? But when you record with a DAW, your music will remain alive for your children and friends and their children and their friends long after your gone.

Some people record for the legacy. Some to attain a degree of perfection, learning the aspects of recording, editing, mixing, and mastering. Some record to go beyond the present limits of their imagination, being able to compose, arrange, and come to some understanding of the scope of music that lies within them. All without being side tracked by the limitations of another musicians imagination.

Most of us enjoy doing both.

Thanks for the patronizing reply but you're really missing the point. I'm not against recording in any sense. My problem is with jokers who sit in a makeshift studio creating stuff they have no hope of ever recreating live. What's the point of that? Any moron can pile 10 guitar tracks together and it will sound massive. Doesn't mean they know jack sh*t about music.

I would be one of those morons... Oddly enough, I sort of agree with what you are saying about piling on the tracks... That 's counterproductive if you want to take the act on the road. Some would throw in the argument, saying that they could use the recorded track as part of the act ... But there is one tiny hole in the claim about the morons... For example, I was recently approached by a local musician , who wanted to do one of my tunes in the club, He asked me about the bass line. (Said he would have written it differently... I told him, if he could stick with the basic idea of the line that I did, I really didn't care if he pulled triple lindys with it, to knock it out of the ball park on the stage... In fact I encourage deviation from the blueprint

Recording was never meant to be (and fails as) a composition tool.

Absolutely not true... Some of the best sh*t... ever, comes out of a recording session... The list of pros that have done this is endless. However... We don't see it occur that often, more because of studio budget/money constraints...(but not for lack of creative prowess)

I'm not saying recording technology doesn't have it place, or that I'm somehow "against" records. Quite the opposite. I'm saying that first and foremost in any musical project, outside of genres that are exclusively created digitally (like a lot of modern rap and techno), is playing together in person. Why? Because that's what made bands like Zepplin, Floyd, CCR, etc great. The interplay between the band members gave them a distinctive sound. I'm well aware of "why" people record their music, and I do record stuff I write, just only after it's written. What I'm saying is too many people get caught up in ONLY that aspect of it and they forget what playing music is really all about. This is just my opinion.

I agree

And as far as music "disappearing" when you're playing live, that's just plain ridiculous. The stuff you record on your hard drive is just as easily deleted. And I have better memories of seeing bands live than any memories I have of music played through a radio, iPod, whatever.

I think you might be misunderstanding what Slacker was saying... I believe he was conveying the benefit of Recording, by contrasting it with mere Performing... As you know, the greatest performance of the greatest song at the greatest show on earth is indeed a good memory, but it can never be re-experienced (except by a recording of the experience) and how cool would that be?

#172394 by Jahva
Mon May 07, 2012 8:52 pm
I'm surprised no one slammed you for not having any music posted. It's the usual initiation round here.
Anyway... it wouldn't hurt to throw up some recordings you may have. It'll give others an idea of what you sound like.
Don't let no's bother you. You have to go through them to find the one yes!
Just sayin.
Good Luck.

#172398 by PaperDog
Mon May 07, 2012 9:47 pm
Jahva wrote:I'm surprised no one slammed you for not having any music posted. It's the usual initiation round here.
Anyway... it wouldn't hurt to throw up some recordings you may have. It'll give others an idea of what you sound like.
Don't let no's bother you. You have to go through them to find the one yes!
Just sayin.
Good Luck.

LOL! JAHVA... You know its inevitable...But we must think of the others, who might want to get their slam on too ... ;)

#172515 by RumbleStilskin
Tue May 08, 2012 6:04 pm
I use Real Band to play MIDI files and Band in the Box to create new songs. It is fun and you do not have to rely on others. I am also now getting people who want to play with me and my files.

#172584 by KLUGMO
Wed May 09, 2012 3:21 pm
Nice videos man especially the third.