This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#171868 by Daniel Charles
Tue May 01, 2012 10:42 pm
Hi :)
i have some questions for live singing

1. how to avoid memory blanks , and being afraid of it ?

2 when i did an open mic , i put the mic in a certain position , and it did a big unpleasant sound . what is it exactly?

3 is there something to eat ( like maybe raw eggs...) to protect the voice before a performance . i am concern especially with the falsetto

4. what about if a guy has to perform thursday , but he catch a cold on tuesday? also how can he prevent that?

thanx,daniel
#171869 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed May 02, 2012 12:24 am
Daniel Charles wrote:Hi :)

2 when i did an open mic , i put the mic in a certain position , and it did a big unpleasant sound . what is it exactly?

3 is there something to eat ( like maybe raw eggs...) to protect the voice before a performance . i am concern especially with the falsetto

4. what about if a guy has to perform thursday , but he catch a cold on tuesday? also how can he prevent that?

thanx,daniel

it sounds like you have a lot of anxiety about singing (aka stage fright)

That unpleasant sound is called "feedback" and it happens when you point the mic towards a speaker (unless you use a Bose system). Basically it's amplifying itself exponentially. Don't point it as the monitor or the mains.

The best thing you can drink is plain water at room temperature. Talking wears your voice out faster than anything so keep it to a minimum on gig day if possible, but especially if you have a cold.

I used to think that eating raw lemons and drinking straight whiskey helped my voice. Not!!!

To avoid memory loss, practice singing until it comes automatic. If you use cheat sheets, you'll end up relying on them.

The more prepared you are (practice) the less anxiety you will have.

#171910 by GuitarMikeB
Wed May 02, 2012 2:02 pm
All good tips from YOD.

Warm up your voice before singing - do scales or a song you consider 'easy' while heading to the gig. Don't over-extend your voice; if you haven't been trained on how to scream, don't do it. Remembering lyrcs - one of the toughest things. If you can't remember the lyrics to every song in your set list, find someone else to sing lead on some. If your experience is karaoke, you'll never learn the lyrics, as karaoke give you them.

#171916 by jimmydanger
Wed May 02, 2012 2:19 pm
A good exercise for remembering lyrics is to write them down once a day until you can recite them without looking. Everybody forgets a lyric once in a while but the more you do it the better you'll get.

#171928 by Daniel Charles
Wed May 02, 2012 3:11 pm
thanks everybody :)
daniel

#171932 by Starfish Scott
Wed May 02, 2012 3:35 pm
jimmydanger wrote:A good exercise for remembering lyrics is to write them down once a day until you can recite them without looking. Everybody forgets a lyric once in a while but the more you do it the better you'll get.

Wow great advice, Jimmy.
I'll try that as well.

#171935 by fisherman bob
Wed May 02, 2012 3:53 pm
Definitely don't aim a mic at a speaker, even the side of a mic aimed at a speaker can cause feedback (some mics). Swallow the mic practically if you have to. So many singers I see stand back too far or to the side of a mic, get your mouth right up on it. Concentrate on moving as much air out of the speakers as possible. Know what your max power is. If it's not enough to cut through then maybe take up the piccolo or something. If you hold the mic while singing make sure you don't cover up any part of the mic that your voice needs to get to. As far as remembering lyrics don't be afraid to ad lib if you forget the words. There's nothing sacred about most lyrics except if you are singing the National Anthem perhaps. If you don't like any particular lyric or word CHANGE it. I do it all the time. I also sometimes put in a parody line or two, even add my own verse. WHO CARES! As long as I sing fairly often I don't lose my voice. If I'm inactive vocally for an extended period, a week or more, it takes me longer to warm up. As far as colds that's a health issue. I almost never get them. I take six or more garlic pills a day, 1000 mg Vitamin C, eat plenty of onions and raw veggies. I'm killing cold bacterium continuously so I usually don't get them.

#171939 by Starfish Scott
Wed May 02, 2012 4:02 pm
If you YAWN a few times before/while you are warming up, it's great way to warm up your voice.

#171944 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed May 02, 2012 4:24 pm
Chief Engineer Scott wrote:If you YAWN a few times before/while you are warming up, it's great way to warm up your voice.

where did you hear that? How does that work? It sounds as valid as drinking 3 shots of straight whiskey to me.

:lol:
#171946 by DennyDream
Wed May 02, 2012 4:41 pm

thanx,daniel

1. Don't be afraid of blanking, adlib if you have to, repeat what you do remember that fits. I will find myself with memory blanks at times too. Key is to practice, practice, practice. Need to get to the point where it is automatic/natural and not having to think about it - that way you can also enjoy, or put more into the performance. What helps me is listening to/practicing the song w/out lyrics, but also practicing a few times with the lyrics w/out singing it, then doing the song w/out lyrics but having them handy just in case. For an open mic, it won't hurt to have them with you either. I will also go over the lyrics in my head w/out anything (kinda like writing them down method mentioned in a post above).

2. Yeah, that's probably feedback. Keep mic pointed away from speakers.

3. Drink water and keep hydrated. I think you're supposed to stay away from dairy and a few other things as well (google it). I avoid eating anything right before singing. Alcohol, caffine and salty foods are not ideal either b/c they can dehydrate you.

Warm up before you sing-- either scales or an "easier" song. Don't start your warm up with something really high (e.g. a lot of falsetto or screams), work up to it. A lot of talking, particularly if you have to talk loud (e.g. in a bar) can wreak havoc on your voice as well.

This may sound strange, but on songs I've never done before I have to "learn" how to physically sing the song-- e.g. key, octave, how I physically form the notes, when/how to breath. Point is, know how you need to perform the song and how you need to hit the notes-- and if you can't how you'll change them.

4. The show must go on. Do the best you can - again, stay hydrated. Depending on what the illness is, you might be ok, or you might be screwed.

My 2 cents.
Last edited by DennyDream on Wed May 02, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#171947 by DennyDream
Wed May 02, 2012 4:43 pm
yod wrote:
Chief Engineer Scott wrote:If you YAWN a few times before/while you are warming up, it's great way to warm up your voice.

where did you hear that? How does that work? It sounds as valid as drinking 3 shots of straight whiskey to me.

:lol:

Its probably more to stretch your fascial/neck/throat muscles than anything else.
#171950 by jsantos
Wed May 02, 2012 4:59 pm
DennyTheDream wrote:

thanx,daniel

1. Don't be afraid of blanking, adlib if you have to, repeat what you do remember that fits. I will find myself with memory blanks at times too. Key is to practice, practice, practice. Need to get to the point where it is automatic/natural and not having to think about it - that way you can also enjoy, or put more into the performance. What helps me is listening to/practicing the song w/out lyrics, but also practicing a few times with the lyrics w/out singing it, then doing the song w/out lyrics but having them handy just in case. For an open mic, it won't hurt to have them with you either.

2. Yeah, that's probably feedback. Keep mic pointed away from speakers.

3. Drink water and keep hydrated. I think you're supposed to stay away from dairy and a few other things as well (google it). I avoid eating anything right before singing. Alcohol, caffine and salty foods are not ideal either b/c they can dehydrate you.

Warm up before you sing-- either scales or an "easier" song. Don't start your warm up with something really high (e.g. a lot of falsetto or screams), work up to it. A lot of talking, particularly if you have to talk loud (e.g. in a bar) can wreak havoc on your voice as well.

This may sound strange, but on songs I've never done before I have to "learn" how to physically sing the song-- e.g. key, octave, how I physically form the notes, when/how to breath. Point is, know how you need to perform the song and how you need to hit the notes-- and if you can't how you'll change them.

4. The show must go on. Do the best you can - again, stay hydrated. Depending on what the illness is, you might be ok, or you might be screwed.

My 2 cents.

^^Signed.

#171965 by GuitarMikeB
Wed May 02, 2012 6:00 pm
fisherman bob wrote:I take six or more garlic pills a day... eat plenty of onions ...

And everyone gives him plenty of stage room! :wink:

#171968 by PaperDog
Wed May 02, 2012 6:07 pm
Chief Engineer Scott wrote:
jimmydanger wrote:A good exercise for remembering lyrics is to write them down once a day until you can recite them without looking. Everybody forgets a lyric once in a while but the more you do it the better you'll get.

Wow great advice, Jimmy.
I'll try that as well.

What..You mean you guys dont make 'em up as you go?... :lol:
#172023 by Stringdancer
Thu May 03, 2012 3:10 am

thanx,daniel

The other points were covered by the BM crew as for the falsetto putting your nuts in a vise grip should give you an excellent falsetto with a huge range, do not forget to remove the vise grip when singing in a low registry.

Hope this helps.