This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of Canada.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#17133 by claude
Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:17 pm
I agree with the general idea that if someone is looking to form or join a working band that they need to be as professional as possible, that means putting up samples of your work.

However, there are some old farts like me who are just looking to jam on weekends with some like-minded people and would actually prefer not to play in public. I do have some clips up on my profile, but I certainly wouldn't discount playing with someone who didn't.

In the end it depends on what you're looking for, if you're looking for a professional musician to tour with I agree that you can pobably ignore those without music samples. But that doesn't mean that those without clips are lesser musicians, they're just looking for something different.

Now I have to go get some work done...

#17136 by FastFret
Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:34 pm
I came here looking for a bassist, but don't require any sound clips. I'd rather judge someone in person...

Someone might have a clip that sounds good, don't mean anything if it took them 20 trys to get it right and can't do the same thing again in 20 more trys.......

I have been hanging in here for the convo, not hoping someone will pick me for a band.. I already have a band.

I'll be glad to share our music once we have recordings though. :wink:

#17140 by claude
Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:51 pm
FastFret wrote: I'll be glad to share our music once we have recordings though. :wink:

It's so easy to record with the computer technology that's easily available. I am no professional but with around $100 for an Sm57 mic, mic stand and cable and an old computer that the office was tossing out, I am able to record to my heart's content. I just use a free piece of software called audacity and voila, I'm producing mp3s. My first recordings were with a cheap computer mic and I wouldn't recommend posting recordings that way unless tone doesn't matter in the genre of music you're playing but that approach is bargain basement cheap.

For a couple of hundred bucks you could have a complete recording package with one of those Zoom H2 or H4 rigs. I've heard some really good recordings made with one of those sitting on a table in front of the band.

#17148 by Irminsul
Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:41 pm
Good post, claude. And it points up what I said much earlier about these moaning excuses regarding posting some audio. Whenever I hear someone complaining about the cost of recording, I remind them that if they have a computer and internet access, they can surely afford the resources to upload their material. Call it prioritizing, or redistributing funds, it can be done.

#17152 by FastFret
Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:49 pm
One might consider copywriting their original work before posting it for others on the net....

I'm not so willing to give away music for a professional lurker to scam onto online...

If that even happens, I dunno, just a thought.

But I suppose since I dont have any recordings posted and consider my work something that a professional would want to steal, I am talking out my ass anyways. :lol:

#17156 by JJW III
Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:55 pm
FastFret wrote:One might consider copywriting their original work before posting it for others on the net....

I'm not so willing to give away music for a professional lurker to scam onto online...

Oh man here we go on this again.

#17157 by claude
Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:04 pm
This recording business can be really intimidating since if you listen to people who are producing recordings professionally they are spending tens of thousands of dollars and have loads of experience and training to do the stuff they do. But for the purposes of little mp3 demo tracks, it couldn't be easier.

I think the biggest issue for most people is the fact that once you put your music out there it's there for everyone to hear and critique. There are some people around who like to crap on others' attempts to make music and usually they are the people who don't play themselves. I have a thick skin and I know that I'm not that great of a musician so if someone wants to crap on my playing, I don't really care. But I can understand why some other people might be reluctant to put themselves out there. OTOH, if you want to be a serious musician you'd better get used to hanging your ass on the line with every note you play.

#17158 by Guitaranatomy
Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:05 pm
Wegman wrote:
FastFret wrote:One might consider copywriting their original work before posting it for others on the net....

Oh man here we go on this again.

I am going to assume you mean this is going to start another debate. Okay, I will man the gates, someone give me a rifle. :cry: Lmao. Well, we have many other debates going on as is, if you want to call them that. So, here we go again! This time I am hiding.

#17171 by Irminsul
Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:45 pm
Guitaranatomy wrote:
I am going to assume you mean this is going to start another debate. Okay, I will man the gates, someone give me a rifle. :cry: Lmao. Well, we have many other debates going on as is, if you want to call them that. So, here we go again! This time I am hiding.

No, he means that we have argued this to death so many times that the corpse's bones are even starting to turn to dust. We should probably make it a sticky topic.

#17176 by FastFret
Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:51 pm
really what was the majority opinion on the issue?

#17202 by JJW III
Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:20 pm
Irminsul wrote:
Guitaranatomy wrote:

No, he means that we have argued this to death so many times that the corpse's bones are even starting to turn to dust. We should probably make it a sticky topic.

Spot on Irminsul. Spot on.

#17204 by RhythmMan
Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:24 pm
Go back over the previous topics - you'll find it . . .

#17205 by Guitaranatomy
Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:24 pm
I see. You are right, it should be made a sticky. Lmao. I am still going into hiding, no more of this subject.

#17207 by JJW III
Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:26 pm
FastFret wrote:really what was the majority opinion on the issue?

The bottom line is the misinformation that has been circultated that is taken as iron clad when it comes to copywriting.

Rather then go over it again I recommend talking to your lawyer or getting the Musicians Legal and Business Handbook.

The cliff notes version is this. Even with a formally copywritten tune it is extremely difficult and costly to prove infringement.

Basically if that is the main hold up for not posting content don't worry about it.

Again don't take my word for it (though I have read the book and talked to my attorney) do your own research.

#17228 by FastFret
Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:01 pm
I'm not worried about it, that was just something that had crossed my mind yesterday....

I will post something eventually..

We're looking into one of those Zoom portables.. Look kinda cool.. Or a laptop with some software.

Not trying to hide anything and I'm not worried about negative opinions either, I would expect more negative because our music is heavy, not for everyone.