This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Which brand of Acoustic for you?

6%
18%
6%
N/A
18%
6%
6%
6%
6%
29%
#16453 by TheCaptain
Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:34 pm
I realize that there are varying situations.
Maybe we can keep this poll general, & say "if you had to choose one or recommend an acoustic", what would it be?
I tried to enter a much larger list, but there's poll limits..Sorry if your baby didn't make the list.

Me? Well, I' have to say, for what you pay, Larrivee lights my fire.
Solid craftsmanship, incredible deals out there for the sound you get .
And , for those interested, I have played the venerable Martin HD-28: which btw I think compares very closely to my D-05.
I have played, Taylor Jumbo & 310 & 814, Gibson J-200, Bourgeois, a very nice Breedlove & others.

I've owned in order(Larrivees):
LS-19
L-10
D-05 (current guitar)

played :
L-10 Custom, D-05, L-05, J-09

So: my choice at present? Larrivee

#16457 by Guitaranatomy
Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:54 pm
Hmm, I like the sound of the Ovation. I play right now on a Yamaha Acoustic, the sound is alright, but I hate the body, just too large for my arm. I prefer bodies on acoustic guitars that are small.

#16460 by jimmydanger
Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:09 pm
My 1976 Martin D-28 can't be beat as far as tone, but for ease of use I really like my Ibanez PF.

#16492 by JJW III
Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:14 pm
Ovation.

And if you got the big money Adamas

#16512 by Irminsul
Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:44 am
I'd say Lyon and Healey - but if you can't afford that one, go with Triplett or Dusty Strings.

#16516 by Jon Nilsen
Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:17 pm
For the price of those Gibson repros you can find an original prewar model. Nothing beats the mojo of a 70 year old guitar.

#16645 by loudbob1955
Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:16 pm
Well... I've got a 35 year old 12-String that I love... Lately though, I've been playing a Canadian Made Godin 12-String which has nice Fretting and great Tone. But I still enjoy my Ibanez Classical when the Mood hits me... 8)

LB

#16656 by Craig Maxim
Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:42 pm
Tacoma
#16670 by Musicbyd
Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:54 pm
i hate to say this but i found a distributer in tex for bluegrass gui8tars
thats the brand they are uuugggthhh made in china but each one is hand made start to finish by one craftsman lo ender is about 1k beautifal inlay un believable sound full ness of tone as good as any high end taylor or gibson both of which i play

#16797 by Paleopete
Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:10 pm
I didn't do the poll thing but I have been hooked on Takamine since I bought my EGS-330SC. Also had a Epiphone FT 140 years ago that I loved, it was stolen in Austin, TX around 1987-88 or so, you don't wanna know what I'd do to the thief if I caught up with the slimeball...

Anyway, I looked for a guitar to replace it for years, I have a tendon problem in my left hand and have to have slim necks, which are uncommon with acoustics. (Tendon to left ring finger was cut in half when I was 12, surgically reconnected and it's given me problems ever since. Fat guitar necks make my arm hurt up to the elbow.)

I always look at Epiphone of course, and have played bunches of them that sounded great. I also always check out Ibanez, Ovation, Guild and suprisingly Oscar Schmidt. Alvarez makes some nice acoustics, Sigma guitars are worth a close look, and Martin of course, but too pricey for me. Have only played one or two Taylors, I can't form much of an opinion so far on those. But I look at Takamine first.

Two things though, since I bought my Takamine. I'll always check out Takamine, this one is not the first one I found that I really liked, I've played a bunch of them before buying it and all played and sounded good. Had my sights set on a blue Takamine when I spotted my Peavey Patriot and acoustic got sidelined for a while though...I HAD to have that Patriot...and I've never regretted buying it either, it's a great guitar. I've never seen a Takamine that wasn't very well made, the craftsmanship looks very good. Second, I'll look at cedar tops first, this thing sounds great and has more sustain than any acoustic I've ever picked up. It's my first cedar top guitar, and I like it better than any acoustic I've seen so far. I have a friend who got a steal on a Martin that has to be 30 years old or more, my Takamine sounds and plays better...

#16799 by Crip2Nite
Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:47 pm
I use a cheap Yamaha because I beat the crap out of it every day. I only use it for all finger exercises, scales, arpeggios, etc... before I ever touch my electrics every single day. Would not want to put all that abuse on a beautiful Martin or Taylor just for practicing....

#16813 by RhythmMan
Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:07 pm
Crip2Nite,
I hear you. I've got a $75 piece-of crap I use for practice. I wore the finish off the neck, put grooves in all the frets from the strings, and dug trenches on the fret-bourd from my fingertips/fingernails - in one year . . .
You don't need an expensive guitar to be a good guitar player.
To be a good guitar player, you need to practice. And practice. And practice.
True, more expensive guitars will allow you to do more techniques.
True, more expensive guitars have a better sound quality.
True, more expensive guitars can be easier to tune.
True, more expensive guitars will stay in tune longer.
and, more significantyly, for me:
True, more expensive guitars are EASIER to play.
BUT, -
For practice: give me a guitar that is HARD AS HELL to play.
If you keep practicing on that guitar, you'll eventualy get to the point where you can make even a piece-of-crap guitar sound great.
And, THEN, when you pick up the GOOD guitar . . .
:)
You get my drift, people, eh?

#16816 by Guitaranatomy
Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:21 pm
RhythmMan_BluesRockFolk wrote:Crip2Nite,
I hear you. I've got a $75 piece-of crap I use for practice. I wore the finish off the neck, put grooves in all the frets from the strings, and dug trenches on the fret-bourd from my fingertips/fingernails - in one year . . .
You don't need an expensive guitar to be a good guitar player.
To be a good guitar player, you need to practice. And practice. And practice.
True, more expensive guitars will allow you to do more techniques.
True, more expensive guitars have a better sound quality.
True, more expensive guitars can be easier to tune.
True, more expensive guitars will stay in tune longer.
and, more significantyly, for me:
True, more expensive guitars are EASIER to play.
BUT, -
For practice: give me a guitar that is HARD AS HELL to play.
If you keep practicing on that guitar, you'll eventualy get to the point where you can make even a piece-of-crap guitar sound great.
And, THEN, when you pick up the GOOD guitar . . .
You get my drift, people, eh?

I have to say I agree with that logic. It is what I am doing now. I plan on getting a $200 dollar guitar, and once I have worn that one out I will get a much more expensive one. I have made my First Act sound fairly good for the piece of junk it can be, lol.

#16819 by RhythmMan
Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:57 pm
GA, my $75 piece-of-crap is a First Act. Don't dis it too much.
Don't junk it.
I took the nut out, sanded the bottom of it (slightly), and re-installed it, lowering the strings.
Be SUPER-careful if you do this - it you take off a millimeter too much, you can ruin it.
Then I straightened the neck a tad. Screw the bolt in NO MORE than 1/4 of a turn, and give it 3 DAYS to re-adjust and settle in.
No more than 1/3 turn at a time. If the rod snaps. it'll probably cost you about $300 to fix. And be SURE to give it 2 days to settle in, before doing sunsequent adjustments.
If you want to lower the strings, try sanding the nut FIRST. Sand off (LEVELLY) a thickness about equivalent to the "B" string, and try it.
That's not much, guy . . .
Only adjust the neck if you can see a pretty big bow in it. There's supposed to be a tiny bow, to keep the strings from buzzing . . .
After doing this, I found that 2 strings buzzed in the 13th fret. That is; when I held the 13th fret down, the string hit the 14th fret. But when I fretted on the 14th, the 15th fret was just fine.
The frets higher up the neck hadn't been installed quite levelly.
This is proof that it's a crummy guitar. But I fixed it.
My solution, and, I kid you not: a hammer.
Pow! Pow! Hey, for $75; what did I have to lose?
But it worked great. And - what a difference. That $75 guitar now plays like a $300 guitar.
It doesn't LOOK like a $300 guitar. I don't give a poop.
GREAT practice guitar . . .
My biggest complaint with it is it's hard to tune . . .
But - you would not BELIEVE the number of people who have told me, after hearing it, that it's a real good guitar. Everyone who hears it (not 'sees' it) says "Wow! That's a really expensive guitar, huh?
I love the look on their faces when they hear me say, "Nope. I bought it brand-new for $75."

#16820 by Guitaranatomy
Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:25 pm
RhythmMan_BluesRockFolk wrote:GA, my $75 piece-of-crap is a First Act. Don't dis it too much.
Don't junk it.
I took the nut out, sanded the bottom of it (slightly), and re-installed it, lowering the strings.
Be SUPER-careful if you do this - it you take off a millimeter too much, you can ruin it.
Then I straightened the neck a tad. Screw the bolt in NO MORE than 1/4 of a turn, and give it 3 DAYS to re-adjust and settle in.
No more than 1/3 turn at a time. If the rod snaps. it'll probably cost you about $300 to fix. And be SURE to give it 2 days to settle in, before doing sunsequent adjustments.
If you want to lower the strings, try sanding the nut FIRST. Sand off (LEVELLY) a thickness about equivalent to the "B" string, and try it.
That's not much, guy . . .
Only adjust the neck if you can see a pretty big bow in it. There's supposed to be a tiny bow, to keep the strings from buzzing . . .
After doing this, I found that 2 strings buzzed in the 13th fret. That is; when I held the 13th fret down, the string hit the 14th fret. But when I fretted on the 14th, the 15th fret was just fine.
The frets higher up the neck hadn't been installed quite levelly.
This is proof that it's a crummy guitar. But I fixed it.
My solution, and, I kid you not: a hammer.
Pow! Pow! Hey, for $75; what did I have to lose?
But it worked great. And - what a difference. That $75 guitar now plays like a $300 guitar.
It doesn't LOOK like a $300 guitar. I don't give a poop.
GREAT practice guitar . . .
My biggest complaint with it is it's hard to tune . . .
But - you would not BELIEVE the number of people who have told me, after hearing it, that it's a real good guitar. Everyone who hears it (not 'sees' it) says "Wow! That's a really expensive guitar, huh?
I love the look on their faces when they hear me say, "Nope. I bought it brand-new for $75."

Lol. For me to do what you just said would take 50 years. First off I have no access to the right tools to do that. Second, I am so confused you will never know -- shows you I am still a beginner, but I am learning. I hope to someday upgrade this First Act. I was thinking about using the body but changing around the pickups. I may have to make some adjustments to the neck and stuff, but yeah. Here is a list of what I wanted to do:

1. I wanted to airbrush an image onto it after stripping its paint off and redoing it.
2. I wanted to take the inlays out and paint them in bright blue glow in the dark paint, so if I am playing in the dark it looks cooler.
3. I wanted to replace the pickups with something cool. Perhaps put an EMG or Duncan pickup in the bridge, and maybe leave the humbuckers that are in the mid-neck to neck positions.
4. I may have to do some work on the neck (Sand it down maybe), after all of my playing the wood has begun to shed on the fretboard, leaving tiny scratches and small gaps.
5. Add a new saddle with a tremolo bar.
6. I have to replace the entire output port because it broke on me.
7. I may repaint the pickguard (Or buy a new one to fit the look I want).

So, there are a ton of things I want to do to this guitar. I will need to acquire a lot more knowledge before I can go through with this, but it will be a fun project.

Either I will do all that or just leave it as is and tell people in the future it was my first guitar. It really is not too bad this guitar, it just is not what I want right now. The guitar is very strong, I can not tell you how many times I have dropped it.

At any rate, we will see what I do someday in the future.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.