This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#154576 by Ray Hernandez
Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:56 pm
Hey guys,

Are we talking for a particular genre or all around guitarist. For me, Al DiMeola is the greatist underated guitarist there is. He started the speed riffs way before it became popular. Before Malmsteen, George Lynch, Van Halen and all the rest there was Al playing power chords and superfast riffs and off time signatures. He started the speed metal movement yet no one's even heard of him in these circles. Check him out. Early Al with Return to Forever group, Chic Corea duets and his many solo albums.

#154596 by jimmydanger
Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:18 pm
Al is definitely not underrated for those who know good music. I've seen him a few times and he's great. But John McLaughlin was doing it years before Al.

#155037 by blues edge
Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:37 am
Slink Rand ... quincy Il /no mo. in 74 i watched him for two sets 1st set 1 side of houses of the holy 2nd set inner mounting flame ,he played a 59 v through 2 marshall 50 watters into 4 twin reverb cabs no head in them..... this guy was awesome

#157123 by Rhythmsteve
Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:29 pm
Trey Anastasio......complex, quirky, shredder, great improv skills, the man can play anything

#158321 by Rock 1
Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:25 am
Rory Gallagher
One of the all time greats IMO

#158340 by PierceG
Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:47 am
Mark Knopfler-Until he gets into the Hall of Fame, he's underrated.

#159615 by cowbellradio
Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:13 pm
bundydude wrote:Criss Olivia (Savatage), Jake E. Lee, Jeff Waters (Annilator), Nick Bowcott (Grim Reaper), Geoff Thorpe (Vicious Rumors), David T. Chastain, Uli Jon Roth, Gary Moore, Ronnie Montrose, Larry Barragan/Andre Corbin (Helstar-"Nosferatu" era), Aaron Jellum/Phil Kettner (Laaz Rockit-"Know Your Enemy" era). Thats just what I came up with off the top of my head. Horns up!!!

Jake E. Lee was always one of my favorite guitar players.

#161188 by VocalsBass
Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:12 pm
Guitarist and songwriter Jerry Cantrell.

Zoltan Bathory.

#161283 by PierceG
Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:49 am
I'd suggest that Cantrell is held in high-enough esteem that it's tough to call him, "Underrated."

I will say this: I don't think there has ever been a guitarist in the world more loyal to his band than Jerry Cantrell. He only did his solo stuff reluctantly. He would have waited forever for Staley to recover and never once thought of replacing Staley while he was still alive.

In fact, if it hadn't been for Mike Starr's death earlier this year and the fact that he was with Layne the day before Layne died, I would say that watching Jerry wait for Staley to recover only to have him die instead was the saddest thing about the whole affair.

Did you guys know that Alice in Chains self-titled third album had more Layne Staley lyrics than any other AiC album? That's also when he was well into his problems with addiction. It's almost like Cantrell was doing everything he could to keep him with the band by any means possible.[/i]

#161985 by Original Guitarist
Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:04 am
fisherman bob wrote:Roy Buchanan and Freddie King are still my all time favorite guitarists. There's quite a few really good Youtube videos of Roy, especially from a show he did in Austin 1976. Royz Bluz and The Messiah Will Come Again are astonishing.

YES that austin video of the messiah will come of again is the 1st i heard of him and i was blown away more and more as the video went on.

once he played all the down the strings my jaw dropped...and then i heard his version of Hey Joe :shock:

#162323 by vincentnmartin
Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:54 pm
Gene Simmons - Bass Guitarist

#164037 by Paul the bass guy
Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:43 pm
How can no one have brought up Alex Lifeson. You have got to be kidding me. His lifetime of work is second to NONE. Thoughts?

#164047 by jimmydanger
Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:17 pm
Sorry Paul, if anything Lifeson is way overrated. I mean he's OK but there are many better.

#164160 by Lynard Dylan
Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:19 pm
I thought Alex was a great guitar player,
what a chord player, 2112 kicked, but I
grew tired of it, kinda like Kiss, somebodys
probably got Ace listed here somewhere.