This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#15198 by johnnya
Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:32 am
Just saw that movie children of men where people just stopped being able to have children, and , well its a interesting movie, one is a lonely number, and thats what i do not want, love my kids, they are funny, and at the same time tick you off at times, but didnt we do the same?
#16109 by bluesyrosey
Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:49 pm
I started singing and playing guitar 6 years ago. Have two sons 13 and 16 who are my inspiration. They love being my "roadies". I enrolled in a music course at a community college to learn the basics. I never sang a tune in my life and was extremely shy. A musician friend of mine said i had a voice and I should pursue music, so I did. I learned performance, vocal training, music theory, and started writing songs. It has been a wonderful journey and at 48 my kids think it's so cool to have a Rockin Roll mom. I hope to instill the gifts of music to them.

#16111 by OuttaHand
Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:27 pm
My kids think it's cool that I'm in a band, and my wife brings them to watch us play at outdoor gigs, afternoon type affairs.

But that's as far as it goes, it's just not cool enough to really stick with any lessons on anything. Consider yourself lucky if they share your interest enough to pursue it.

And yeah, they tick ya off from time to time, I think that's part of their job description. :lol:

#16115 by jw123
Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:07 pm
I was playin music the first 6 yrs of my 15 yr olds life, hes getting me back now with groups like Slip Knot, Disturbed, Lamb Of God, Tool, and SoulFly.

Seriously there is a period of time in kids life where we as parents are the biggest influence they have. Dont blow the time you have with your kids cause you are chasing some rock n roll fantasy. I wish I could go back in time and relive all those times I was too tired to play with my son cause I was playing in some honky tonk for peanuts. Unfortunately we dont have the option of going back. I just would advise any musicians on here with toddlers to lay off music a few years unless it is the way you make a living, and spend quality time with the kids. Not while you are changing guitar strings or trying to get ready to hit the road to some gig.

Sorry to be negative, but your kids are way more important than some gig or some song youve got to write.

#16131 by OuttaHand
Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:21 pm
jw123 wrote:I was playin music the first 6 yrs of my 15 yr olds life, hes getting me back now with groups like Slip Knot, Disturbed, Lamb Of God, Tool, and SoulFly.

Seriously there is a period of time in kids life where we as parents are the biggest influence they have. Dont blow the time you have with your kids cause you are chasing some rock n roll fantasy. I wish I could go back in time and relive all those times I was too tired to play with my son cause I was playing in some honky tonk for peanuts. Unfortunately we dont have the option of going back. I just would advise any musicians on here with toddlers to lay off music a few years unless it is the way you make a living, and spend quality time with the kids. Not while you are changing guitar strings or trying to get ready to hit the road to some gig.

Sorry to be negative, but your kids are way more important than some gig or some song youve got to write.

Well said, that's why music is in the "hobby" category for me. We have practice on Monday nights, gig no more than once a month, always local. It's a great way to keep the "music" in me alive but yet keep my family as a priority.

With a 14, 11, and 5 year old I am plenty involved in my kids and their lives. Just too bad they don't want to learn to play anything. :?

#16286 by johnnya
Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:44 am
hey front man, hows it been? well , the 5th one popped out monday the 26 recently in 07, seriously,i know that it wasnt that i had no cable, i was shocked to find out it was all my wifes fault, but its ok, now, sat the other day watching what kids do, you just have to live it to know it, took interest in everyones sayings on the forum, very neat sayings, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.

#16300 by Crip2Nite
Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:44 pm
Got me 2 boys and no matter what the situation, I set aside at least 3-4 hours a day for practice and then rehearse in my basement studio with da band on weekends....wife...kids....dogs...whatevs...nothing is gonna get in my way this time around.... reason for leaving my 1st wife!

#16305 by johnnya
Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:13 pm
what made me happy is that my kids and wife understand what i do, for the 1st time i took my kids to practice and my girl seemed most interested, looks like yur heading in the right direction, FELIZ NAVIDAD to all.

#16319 by Greeniemagic
Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:13 am
I'm pretty lucky as my kids are all grown up now and have their own lives so I can gig like a mad thing when the time comes without feeling guilty or anything. I will also be a granny in March and I'm still trying to get my head round that one lol...But seriously looking forward to Ollie's arrival all the same :wink:

#16320 by Guitaranatomy
Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:28 am
Well I am feeling a bit like the oddball here, lol. Most of the people on this forum are in their 30's - 40's. I am only 19. It is like being the apprentice to the experienced musicians.

Nice vocals Greeniemagic, and congratulations on the soon to be born grandchild.

#16383 by loudbob1955
Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:45 pm
Well... looks like I'm the Oldest out of everyone Posting. I'll be 53 next month and have been playing since'68. I've married twice, have 4 kids and 6 Grands, and have been in a giging Band for 4 years. Can I Shred? Not really. But I've never given up on trying. Things came to a real slow down when the kids were born. But now, it's just my wife and our weiner dog. And because she supports me in what I do, I've been able to keep my playing up a bit. I'm the IT guy for a Company of 22 and have been since 1995. It's still a balancing act, but my wife says, " if you can do it, then go for it". What a Gal. 8) She's my Manager. She makes sure I get my Practicing in at home, and grades what we do as a Band, without holding back.

Will I ever make it to the "Big Time"? Who knows, but it's a great Trip to go in that direction. It's great playing with other Musicians and learning the things they know. Heck, I had Nick Cantanese from Black Label Society stop by at Practice on night, and we had the best time! He's a Gifted Musician and one of the nicest guys I've ever met. And he showed me a lot that I was missing.

I like this Journey. It's challenging, rewarding, crushing, can be an amazing high, and at times, can rip your heart out.

But when you have support from Family and Friends, you'll have very little to regret.

IMHO,

LB

#16384 by Guitaranatomy
Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:50 pm
Loudbob1955,

Tell Nick if he sees Zakk Wylde to tell him a kid in Florida needs guitar lessons! Lol. Just kidding. But yeah, that is cool man. That rocks that your wife is that supportive of your music. Good luck in your journey man.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#16390 by jw123
Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:59 pm
Greenie, A Grandma, No Way

Congratulations Greenie and once again how far is that form Memphis?