This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#162797 by jacobbgarcia
Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:26 am
bored and trying to discover more music and learn anything that has to do with music, from sheet music to making instruments to your favorite band/ favorite musical equipment (:

Anybody care to start?

#162838 by gbheil
Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:38 am
A good start here is to visit the sites of the various forum contributors and listen to their music and watch their videos.
Some really good stuff floating around Bandmix ... and some damn fine players as well.

This Gibson Custom Shop ES-339 would be my favorite instrument to date.
[url]Image[/url]

#162852 by jacobbgarcia
Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 am
Ahh good tip, i'll definitely check out everybodies music.
And that's a beautiful guitar, i bet it sounds amazing.
My current favorite for acoustic would probably be the Taylor Big Baby Dreadnought. I love the way it plays, it's so smooth and the tone is gorgeous.
As for electric i'd probably have to go with the classic American Standard Fender Stratocaster, something like John frusciantes vintage model.

#162926 by gbheil
Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:42 pm
That fat Strat tone is definitively a classic.
Being as that is what I'm playing against in our band sound an Les Paul or my ES-339 make a good contrast.

#162932 by RhythmMan-2
Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:06 am
The acoustic guitar is my instrument, and the dreadnaught is my preference; fuller, better all-around sound.

#162990 by jacobbgarcia
Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:02 am
RhythmMan-2 wrote:The acoustic guitar is my instrument, and the dreadnaught is my preference; fuller, better all-around sound.

I love the dreadnought acoustics. although it's pretty cheap, my favorite is the Taylor Big Baby Dreadnought haha, it's a little smaller than full scale but it plays soooo nice

#163024 by PaperDog
Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:18 am
I LOve my Dreadnaught Martin.... But I also love the other Jumbo body styles

#163152 by John Livingston
Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:12 am
I know this is not something you want to hear, but I am an avid fan of the saying "It is not the instrument, it is the player." Which I tend to keep leaning towards believing.

Now would I want a P.R.S. Mark Anthony model? ... hell yes... but I don't need it to make something awesome.

To be honest, I have this thought, that it doesn't matter anymore these days unless you play live. There are so many ways to tweak a recording lol... I prefer to play live, but there aren't very many venues where I am that would appreciate what I do.

If you haven't already trained in Music Theory, I definitely advise it. It helps things to be organized. If you haven't studied, and want some tips to get started, let me know man, and I will do so.

#163157 by RhythmMan-2
Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:11 am
Yep - you don't need to spend a lot of money to be a good musician.
I played on 'crap' guitars for 20 years.
If you can make a piece of crap sound good, then you are a good musician.
So many folks brag about all the guitars and amps and pedals they have . . .
The test of a good muscian is to unplug them, then listen . . .
But there are songs where you do need the electronics to reproduce the sound of the song.
All I'm saying is to just don't get in the habit of requiring the electronics to sound good.

#163163 by gbheil
Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:17 pm
A great sword does not make a great swordsman.

A great swordsman with a crap sword is f@#ked.

You are limited by the equipment you use ...

#163195 by RhythmMan-2
Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:55 pm
I'm not a swordsman, I'm a musician.
:)
A guy with a $300 guitar can easily sound better than a guy with a thousand dollar guitar.
My point is only that you do not have to be rich to be a good musician.

#163197 by RGMixProject
Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:26 am
RhythmMan-2 wrote:I'm not a swordsman, I'm a musician.
:)
A guy with a $300 guitar can easily sound better than a guy with a thousand dollar guitar.
My point is only that you do not have to be rich to be a good musician.

Wadda ya mean you don't have to be me to be a good musician :evil:

:lol:

#163199 by gbheil
Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:26 am
Your point is as valid as mine.

You don't have to be rich ... yet quality equipment does make a difference in all human endeavor.

#163228 by MikeTalbot
Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:37 pm
Plus these days, a low end instrument can be pretty darn good. I have high end gear but can walk in a music store and play some pretty low end stuff and be pretty impressed.

Makes me glad I got decent deals on my stuff.

I'm with George though - there is a certain level of 'low end' where you just can't force the sound out.

Talbot[/code]