This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#161315 by PaperDog
Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:47 am
PierceG wrote:Da*n straight, Talbot.

Even, "Doing something," doesn't always make you better than everyone else in the end except for having different memories. To illustrate what I mean, I've seen the following bands play for crowds of 300 or less in the last five years:

Stephen Pearcy (Ratt lead singer)
Night Ranger
Firehouse
...and others

I'm not saying that's what those bands regularly draw, but I know a bar owner who has an outdoor venue and puts summer concerts together and he's always (no offense to him) making terrible decisions. Locally, he's just not going to have the drawing power for these bands to make money off of what he's paying to have them...even with the liquor sales. I think he broke even on Firehouse.

The funny thing is, he did midget wrestling with no cover charge and absolutely killed on the profits that night!

I'm done rambling now...[/list]

Someday, Midget wrestling AND Dwarf tossing will become Olympic sports... They will just have to curb the cigar sales during those events and shows... (Being athletes and all...)

#161358 by PierceG
Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:28 pm
That's pretty funny. I have no idea why people are so infatuated with watching midgets get greased up and toss one another around, but apparently, there's a huge market for that.

#161648 by gbheil
Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:15 pm
Not being a professional musician I'm not certain. But it would seem that the bones must be dug up on our own.

Try the search function since you've gone through the trouble of a full membership.

Good hunting, and Welcome Bass Bones

#162259 by orion50
Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:50 pm
PaperDog,

If I were in El Paso, I'd ring you up. In the late 60's, I played bass for Rod Crosby & The Intruders. I was a bass newbie, and Rod was kind enough to take me under his wing and give me a shot. If anyone may know of available bass talent, Rod would be the guy. He owns (I think) a studio known as Rosewood Studios in El Paso. Give him a shout. And, good luck.

Mike

#162302 by PaperDog
Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:44 am
AlgebraBlue wrote:PaperDog,

If I were in El Paso, I'd ring you up. In the late 60's, I played bass for Rod Crosby & The Intruders. I was a bass newbie, and Rod was kind enough to take me under his wing and give me a shot. If anyone may know of available bass talent, Rod would be the guy. He owns (I think) a studio known as Rosewood Studios in El Paso. Give him a shout. And, good luck.

Mike

Mike... This is way Cool..

I just spoke to Rod Crosby a couple of months back. He dropped his studio... He got sick of it after he was ripped off by one of his engineers.. As he told me, he was pretty disgusted by the whole issue and just decided to throw that towel in. So, to the best of my knowledge, there is no more rosewood studios . I think He still runs equipment leasing and he does still perform with the EP border legends from time to time... So he is alive and kicking ;)

Its awesome that he took you under the wing... That had to be an honor...

Since this thread started, I eventually did find a bass player. He's great, I couldn't be happier... AND he's the sound engineer too, for the project I'm on...

If you are ever back in El Paso, look me up, man, I'll keep the beers pouring! :)

Also, If you know Rick Stone (Brother of Ron) , he's got a dedicated page on facebook, for Bobby Fuller...(I believe Rod Crosby had some jam history with Bobby Fuller)

#162600 by MikeTalbot
Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:15 am
I'm a bass player who switched to guitar. I still play bass enough to be keeps my muscle memory and jam when i can.

Since songwriting is my primary focus i just found (after all these years duh!) that guitar is more appropriate.

Sometimes I miss it though...no offense anyone - but I've always felt that as bass player I was in charge of it all - like the quarterback - keep the drummer sober, remind the singer (sigh) when it's time to come back in. Wave my arm when the guitar player needs to hit a pedal. Oh -and put down some bass work while worrying about my flock!

I learned an important lesson from a jazz player named Jack Lindsey. He invited me and my brother over to jam. (his wife was booking our band)

He looked at us, set his bottle of vodka and the floor and took charge. First he took the bass from me and handed it to my brother, the lead guitarst. Then he looked at me and pointed at the piano.

I hesitated and he said, "Make up your mind, are you an instrumentalist or a musician?" i knew it was an important moment and felt honored. i did my best on the damn piano! Jack did the clarinet and sax. (and my brother delivered on bass)

That's why I'm willing to play either instrument.

Talbot

#162610 by feeling good
Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:53 pm
It isn't that they are hiding not to many people want to play bass they want to be the guitarist thinking they get most of the fame when the bass player and drumer hold things together but I find out most of the time bass players are generally the joker of the band they also got to remember that Ozzy Osborn used his bassist to write most of his lyrcs.

#162615 by Lynard Dylan
Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:43 pm
Hey Talbot' myself as a guitar player, piano player,
singer, really only want to flick a 7th note at you with
mi little finger on my left hand, and I want you to know
where I'm going from that. The drummer will.

I've not had good luck with bass players. The best ones
I've played with are the ones I taught to play the bass.

While fronting a band I always blow my amp at or past
the drummer, and make him follow my time. That leaves the
bass player to follow or make us sound like sh*t.

Come on I can play a bass with gloves on.

#162634 by PaperDog
Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:44 pm
Dregonfly wrote:This bassist is hiding in the back BEHIND her instrument.

Nice job on your song... Love the lyrics... Also thinks its cool that you play an upright ;)

#162665 by MikeTalbot
Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:16 am
lynard - maybe its not about the instrument - maybe we're just control freaks! :D

Talbot

#162669 by Lynard Dylan
Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:34 am
Maybe your right Talbot, I've been
called acontrol freak before. This year
I've decided to go with my control
freakiness, I think I've got a better ear
than most, and will not settle for any
finish product till it meets my control
freak standards. Probably unrealistic,
but what the hell. :)

#162781 by Starfish Scott
Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:12 am
The best bassist is the one you don't ever need to talk to.

It knows when you drop a line/verse/chorus/bridge and goes where you do.
It knows about dynamics and ALL musical terminology.
It knows that a bass is 50% melodic and 50% percussive.
It's never shaken, knows the pocket, knows how to adjust on the fly and most of all, it's contributing to the music and not dominating it.
It plays impromptu better than it plays from full musical notation.
It should read full musical notation, but isn't a deal breaker if it doesn't.

"It fills the empty spaces in your music to enhance the experience".
If not, it's only a matter of time before replaced by one that does.

In short, HE doesn't exist short of torture and extensive rehearsal.
Practice is what it does before it ever came into view.

And all composers are control freaks.
Q:Does a composer want input on music mostly already finished from a bassist? If the composer asks they do, otherwise, no keep your mouth shut.

These days a regular bassist that is good and flexible is just as rare as a decent keys player.