This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#15799 by Cary Smith
Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:38 am
Off the top of my head I would have to say:
Elliot Easton - The Cars - I had to look up his name.
Neil Giraldo - Pat Benatar (Her Husband) I had to look for his name too.

Anyone care to add any names to the list?

#15813 by JJW III
Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:44 pm
Rik Emmet

#15814 by jimmydanger
Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:49 pm
Martin Barre (Jethro Tull)
Warren Cucurullo (Frank Zappa, Missing Persons, Duran Duran)
Todd Rundgren

#15881 by jw123
Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:39 am
Danny Gatton never got much recognition. I dont know if there are any you-tube videos of this guy but I saw him a couple of times and he was great. I think he killed himself 5 or 6 years ago. If your into hot rod chickin pickin Tele music he might be worth looking into. I think his problem was he didnt fit into any genre of music, but he was awesome live.

#16141 by Gi
Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:59 pm
Eric Bloom and Donald Roeser (Buck Dharma) of Blue Oyster Cult.

#16343 by RedMahna
Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:01 am
Yes, definitely Martin Barre and Buck Dharma.

Also, Mark Knopfler (check out "Speedway at Nazareth").

He prolly isn't really overlooked, tho.

Red

#16344 by Guitaranatomy
Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:11 am
I can easily name three:

1. Peter Frampton (He is amazing and yet you do not hear about him a lot in the guitar world).
2. James Hetfield (Best vocalist-rhythm guitar player I have ever seen, and yet is not given an ounce of credit.)
3. Dave Mustaine (Not given enough credit for his complexity of soloing and style).
#16510 by fisherman bob
Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:54 am
pick up "Loading Zone" by Roy Buchanan, a guitar genius like no other and died way too young and way too underrated. Later...

#18160 by HowlinJ
Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:06 pm
"Scrapper Blackwell",.....(inventor of modern guitar playen').

The late, great "Glen Buxton" back in 69 when Alice Cooper was the greatest unknown band in the world.

"Wendel Richardson" .....Osibisa.

"Leigh Stephens" ..........Blue Cheer

#18570 by MacLeod
Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:20 pm
Rick Emmett from Triumph

Berton Averre from The Knack (My sharona the full version is a spectacular solo)

Glenn Tilbrook from Squeeze

Too many to mention really

#18594 by PhrAiLGuitarist
Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:17 pm
Guitaranatomy wrote:I can easily name three:

1. Peter Frampton (He is amazing and yet you do not hear about him a lot in the guitar world).
2. James Hetfield (Best vocalist-rhythm guitar player I have ever seen, and yet is not given an ounce of credit.)
3. Dave Mustaine (Not given enough credit for his complexity of soloing and style).

Uh... Peter Frampton not getting credit? Are you kidding me? How long have you been in the world of guitar, my friend? Those are three of the most well-known names that any decent guitarist will say, "yes, I know who that is and why they've made a name for themselves with their playing."

Peter Frampton: Only has one of the most recognizable songs to date. Your parents or friends of your parents would tell you that listing his name was ridiculous. Peter Frampton had his recognition.

James Hetfield: Even if someone doesn't know the man behind the riffs by name, Metallica is only one of the most well-known bands around. Just because you haven't heard much from Metallica lately doesn't mean he hasn't had his day in the spotlight MANY a time. When a band like Dream Theater covers an ENTIRE ALBUM of yours at a live concert, you're well recognized. lol.

Dave Mustaine: I will give you credit for this one but not because of his soloing. Not to sound like I'm King Sh*t or something but Dave's solos are the simple ones when compared to his hired guns on each Megadeth album. Dave's riffing is what I find to be extremely underrated. His note choice for riffs and like you said, style, is truly unique and I think a bit underrated.

When I think of guitarists who didn't get or never have received recognition, I think of guys like Shawn Lane, Vito Bratta, Anthony Mazzella, Bob Zabek, the list goes on and on and on and on. Then again, let's truly define, "didn't receive recognition." On what scale are we talking about here, you know? Because in the underground shred scene, guys like Shawn Lane are well-known and VERY recognized. Are we talking about guitarists who haven't had their names plastered in page after page of name your favorite guitar publication? There are a lot of guitarists who could be mentioned or removed based on the clarification of exactly what is meant by, "never received recognition."

#18597 by Guitaranatomy
Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:28 pm
I must contradict, I have been around long enough to say once again, Peter Frampton deserves more credit. Yes, I know he was given a ton of it when "Frampton Comes Alive" came out. But these days people seem to just ride over him like he did not exist. Frampton was a God on that guitar, and no shredder like Malmsteen compares to him. Malmsteen drives me nuts by the way, he annoys me, too damn cocky.

As far as Hetfield goes, I am not sure, I just know you do not hear guitarists mention him as a good guitarist. I have watched many videos of him, to me he rocks. So yeah, that is why I said, he is underrated. Yes Dream Theater is big on covering every song he has ever done, which is creepy since that lead singers voice is way too high for Metallica, but anyhow, what can you do about that?

Mustaine on the other hand, I agree, his riffs are harder than his solos. I cannot play his solos, I do not possess that kind of speed, nor dexterity. But he was not given enough credit for his riffs, those Megadeth riffs can burn your hands off. Even ones off of that new album, United Abominations (Which was not so good by the way).

I will take those 3 guitarists any day over these sh*t bands that we actually call "bands." At least those guys have talent, so when people are like "Matt Heafy of Trivium rocks!" I am like, "No he does not, he is just another pentatonic shredder who likes to show off his speed and ability to sweep pick faster than light." We have no more talent like those guys these days, so we pray for them to keep making albums to spare us of these crappy bands nowadays.

Anyhow, no offense meant. Just a matter of opinion I guess.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#18617 by shyartist
Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:27 am
thurston moore -sonic youth

#20112 by Faultline 29
Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:06 am
I do agree on James Hetfeild not receiving enough recognition for his guitar playing. Its just something that doesnt seem to be talked about all that much in comparison to his vocals or lyrics.

#20120 by Guitaranatomy
Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:59 pm
Faultline 29 wrote:I do agree on James Hetfeild not receiving enough recognition for his guitar playing. Its just something that doesnt seem to be talked about all that much in comparison to his vocals or lyrics.

Yeah, his vocals are a bigger deal to people, lol. Now his vocals are gone because of all of the drinking and his age. But his guitar playing is still just as sharp.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.