This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#155071 by A Persuasive Reason
Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:38 pm
PaperDog wrote:
5) Grab the tiny bass player with your tweezers.
6) Drop the bass player in the small bottle
7) Secure the cap on the bottle .

Done!

OK, use something besides tweezers, they pinched the crud out of me last time. Also, if your gonna secure the cap, POKE A HOLE IN IT! I almost passed out because I couldn't breathe!
#155128 by PaperDog
Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:05 am
TJ Jones wrote:
PaperDog wrote:
5) Grab the tiny bass player with your tweezers.
6) Drop the bass player in the small bottle
7) Secure the cap on the bottle .

Done!

OK, use something besides tweezers, they pinched the crud out of me last time. Also, if your gonna secure the cap, POKE A HOLE IN IT! I almost passed out because I couldn't breathe!

Better the tweezers than tape or stubby fingers... Sorry about the cap... Was intending to rush home and let the bassist out in the garage... :shock:

#156496 by Lord_Hearteater
Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:47 pm
1. Establish that the bassist is of equal importance in the band.
2. Advertise that this is your philosophy

This should be enough to lure a bassist, or two.

3. Treat your new bassist as specified in #1, and that includes paying him/her equally, giving him/her a significant participatory involvement in your creative process, if you are an original act
4. Don't imitate; innovate. Life is too short to be making bad music, and there are plenty of bassists who have reached this conclusion, and have laid down their instruments in the wake of it. Yes, there is room for creativity and improvisation in the world of coverband gigs. If that's your thing, then make sure that the bassist shares in the love.

#156513 by PaperDog
Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:18 pm
Lord_Hearteater wrote:1. Establish that the bassist is of equal importance in the band.

This should be enough to lure a bassist, or two.

3. Treat your new bassist as specified in #1, and that includes paying him/her equally, giving him/her a significant participatory involvement in your creative process, if you are an original act
4. Don't imitate; innovate. Life is too short to be making bad music, and there are plenty of bassists who have reached this conclusion, and have laid down their instruments in the wake of it. Yes, there is room for creativity and improvisation in the world of coverband gigs. If that's your thing, then make sure that the bassist shares in the love.

I never realized that bassist were viewed as un-equal... I cant imagine how any band would ever survive without bass... How in the world do people conclude that bassists are 2nd class citizens in music? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Maybe the individuals who feel this discrimination just simply didn't or couldn't carry the load that was expected.

I look at a guy like Flea, and what can I say...that guy tows the line , quite extensively, and that's only one role in the band. I think that he was best friends with Anthony Kiedas as a child... and they grew up , never differentiating their importance, respectively... So I'm guessing when a bassist (or anybody actually) steps into an established band, the scrutiny is a lot less about the actual bassist and more about the bassist as he/she fits a certain mold...

#159319 by WillingToRelocate
Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:03 am
Previous Quote:
1. Establish that the bassist is of equal importance in the band.

F.Y.I.

3. We usually have a song or three to bring in.
4. We like pizza. *HINT*

#159623 by Spectre1966
Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:05 pm
Ive heard more than once "if you cant play guitar, drums, or sing, you can always play the bass". People think its so friggin simple and we are expendable....most music would suck with the low freqs.

...and Ive walked out of bands because they didnt consider me an equal member and werent interested in my input. Most of them totally broke up not to long afterwards or after the rhythm guitarist realized playing the bass isnt any easier because it has 2 less strings....

Kurt

#159625 by MikeTalbot
Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:20 pm
Last weekend my twelve yr old grandson was here for a visit so I got him to help my check the efficacy of my soundproofing.

For six string guitar, I showed him how to strum an Em and an A. I went outside and listened at various volume / tone combinations. No probelem, he almost sounded musical at points.

For my bass I showed him the equivilent notes. He had a lot of trouble with that for some reason.

Since Bass was my first instrument and because I used it for most of my professional career (with some excpetions) it seems simple to me but maybe I'm wrong. I do know that playing bass well is not so bloody simple.

I also know that since I got serious about guitar and started using that for songwriting instead of my bass my life became much easier. Playing chords on bass can be a chore...

I've been lucky in most outfits in that they wanted a musician, not just a bass player. Yet I always keep in mind Dave Mustaine's infamous comment "I equated playing bass with playing kazoo!" And then he met Cliff Burton and changed his mind. 8)

Talbot

#159635 by PierceG
Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:15 am
I'm not usually the type of person to come off as a hard-@$$ about something, but respecting all of the members of your band equally and realizing their value is something that has always been very important to me.

I have known of bands with a complete and utter disregard for their bassist, and all kinds of bull**** about expendability and who knows what else.

My personal opinion on the matter is this: if you have such a lack of respect for a position in the band that you think the member occupying that position is expendable regardless of who he is, then you need to do one of three things:

1.) Play without that position.

-There have been rock bands that have went with no bassist, The Doors, The White Stripes, The Black Keys...that's all I can think of at the moment.

-Guess what, those are incredible bands, so if you want to go sans-bass, you'd better hope that you and yours are truly remarkable musicians, because it's not f***ing easy.

2.) Quit playing music because you're as @$$hole, members are to be respected and treated with dignity.

3.) Continue to play music but, GROW UP, members are to be respected and treated with dignity.

I'll tell you guys something, if you can get a bassist that can really rip on his own, Geez, that's a guy/girl that will mesmerize the crowd. The rest of the band can take five or ten because there are very few things quite as enrapturing as listening to the low melody of that bass all by itself.

DISCLAIMER: For those of you on here that do not know me, I am not a bassist, I am a lead singer.
#162222 by Bass player looking
Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:59 pm
The bass drives the band . The notes and phrases and dynamics of the bass sets the mood and tonality of the band. A good bass player can take an average solo and make it over the top with just a few accents or runs at key moments or take a soft verse and make it so cool with some simple harmony notes.

#162229 by MikeTalbot
Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:36 am
BPL

Where is Georgetown?

Great looking bass in your profile. I'm a softie for white Fenders (and ampegs!).

Talbot

#162230 by MikeTalbot
Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:36 am
BPL

i meant to say, where is Georgetown in relation to Atlanta.

Talbot

#162250 by Bass player looking
Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:52 pm
I live 45 miles south of Columbus. That bass is a Fraken bass it is a 84-Japan neck on an 81 american body. BASSLINES active eq pickups with the switches. Schaller tuners ,Hipshot drop d ,high mass bridge and it is on its second set of frets it is a true player lol

#162253 by AirViking
Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:02 pm
Having the right attitude along with having a product that can be sold is what keeps me away.
Sorry, I'm almost done "having fun" I want to actually do something.
I'm not looking to play games and have internal struggles, there is enough in front of us to worry about.

To trap me? Let me worry about the basslines, you worry about your part, and so on and so forth.

#162297 by PaperDog
Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:33 am
AirViking wrote:Having the right attitude along with having a product that can be sold is what keeps me away.
Sorry, I'm almost done "having fun" I want to actually do something.
I'm not looking to play games and have internal struggles, there is enough in front of us to worry about.

To trap me? Let me worry about the basslines, you worry about your part, and so on and so forth.

This thread is pretty old now... I started it then, out of frustration... (Couldn't secure a serious bassist for my project). Its all good now...at least for a while...

#162309 by MikeTalbot
Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:46 am
aw come on Dog - keep it going. Dozens of bass players are now employed because of your efforts!

Talbot