This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Drums and Accessories.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#103117 by JaxDrumBum
Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:16 am
I've been playing with a double bass pedal for sometime, but I feel as though I'm still having difficulty in mastering it. Any suggestions?
#103138 by RGMixProject
Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:04 pm
JaxDrumBum wrote:I've been playing with a double bass pedal for sometime, but I feel as though I'm still having difficulty in mastering it. Any suggestions?

When I was younger I used to take a couple of old pedals and stick them in oval shaped buckets of water. I would then play along to music or a click track for a couple of hours. Then play a lttle while on reg heads. Strength and speed will improve.
#117702 by cbrdrummer72
Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:05 pm
What I recommend for my students is consistency. You have to practice some everyday. There are several "tricks" that can help you optimize your practice and ability. First of all, always get in some time with a metronome. Pick a speed that you're comfortable with and jam on some single strokes (RLRLRL...) that for at least 10 minutes, but as long as possible. Gradually increase the tempo on the metronome. I also have folks play rudiments on the bass drums. Flams and doubles triples (RRRLLLRRRLLL) are generally all I encourage since singles, doubles and flams are the basis for all other rudiments. One often overlooked aspect of drumming is the throne. You should buy the highest quality throne you can afford. One fundamental concept of double bass is the amount of balance required to play effectively. And all that starts with the throne. Check out a bunch of thrones and buy the one that you feel is most comfortable and supportive. There are also tons of vids all over the place that give you pointers on many other aspects of double bass. Check out the players you admire and emulate. Finally, check into some of the awesome printed resources like The Encyclopedia of Double Bass and Double Bass Drums by Joe Franco. Put in the time and optimize the time you put in and just keep asking questions.
Best of luck.

#118340 by Drumsinhisheart
Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:50 pm
I have found that exercises apart from actual drumming (like what athletes do) helps alot with the weaker limb.

Hold your leg out and flex your right foot a hundred times as quickly as you can with consistent motion. Try the same with the left foot. It should tighten up far more quickly. But you should find as you do that simple exercise, both feet will pick up coordination, speed and endurance as you easily get to 100 reps. It's just muscle development.

Another thing to try is just sitting down with a practice set up (if you have one) and play to music with just your feet doing whatever strokes you can. Follow the melody line, or vocal line, or just follow the bass or whatever.

As far as balance I found out a long time ago that office chairs blow away drum thrones for comfort and balance for me, especially using a back rest. You can find really nice old chairs at used furniture or office supply stores, or try a new chair that suits your posture.They cost alot less than a high end throne, too.

Lastly, I played dble pedal for almost 20 years and began to notice some real problems with discomfort in my hips, knees, and even my ankles. It's just the slight twisting of the body to accommodate the typical bass drum/dble pedal set up. I came upon the Fisher OFF SET dble pedal through a discussion board, checked it out, got one, and not only did all the body discomfort go away, but the pedal produced exactly the same action for both feet just by sheer design and the natural playing position it puts you in. I love it. Best pedal I have ever owned, and I've played many of them out there. Charles Fisher is a great guy, too. Check it out:

http://web.mac.com/kleidy1/Off-Set/Home.html

#122513 by TIGER27
Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:51 pm
I'm experienced drummer but new with double-bass pedal. Thanks for all the advices.

#126488 by parakletos
Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:37 am
Find the "sweet spot" on the footboards, usually about mid way. You will know when you find it. Then practice, practice, practice. Then after you have practiced ... practice some more. ;-)

#128047 by Donald Ray
Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:39 am
I never played them until about few weeks ago "when my cuz give me his new pearl pedals that he bought long time ?

I try them for a while " I didn't like how the felt to me .So i went to the drum shop and i saw a older model pearl pedals in there .Sorta like a mid 1980s .I say to the guy " I trade ya .So i did just that

#139935 by Joemetaldrummer
Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:20 pm
Use ankle weights to build speed and stamina. Wear for the first half of your practice then take them off. I used this training for around 6 months to get to 240bpm. Good luck!

#143623 by Billy Rich
Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:59 am
Tredmill works wonders.
Used on a regular basis, the mechanical, steady, pace will pull your double pedal timing into sync.
Additional bonus - variable speeds can improve stamina, or slower speeds can improve control. (Keeping a steady walking pace at very slow pace)
Another tip....Bowflex. Easy on the joints, and symetrical muscle group workouts. We're not talking Hulk here, just light resistance/range of motion stuff.
Recently discovered this for myself....seems obvious now.
And of course....practice/practice/practice.
Good Luck!

#148181 by rushing
Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:20 am
I just play for no less then 2 hr a day,and after some warm up songs i find the fastest songs with the fastest drum playing i can find and go for it,it helps alot and its more fun the working out,well it is a work out :D BloodGod is the bomb for this.

#151713 by ChrisLarabell
Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:56 pm
when your not on the kit, tap your feet in paradidles (LRLL RLRR) over and over again until your shins burn so bad you can't take it.

#154373 by GeorgeK88
Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:11 am
A little story about how I dramatically improved by double bass technique, when I got a second bass drum I would practice for a few hours every day for a month, then my friend suggested the unoriginal idea of putting pillows in my bass drums, and I immediately was way better at double bass in a matter of 15 minutes. But if you already have pillows in your bass drum, then I don't really have anything to add.

#157157 by HEARINATOR
Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:52 am
I've always use the different feels and grooves in my upper body and apply those feels and grooves to my legs. It probably sounds crazy, but it works for me.