This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#15564 by Starfish Scott
Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:23 am
Ah just got back from the latest audition.

What was supposed to take 34 minutes, took more like 1 3/4 hours to drive 1 way.

Did I mention Map Quest is sh*t?

Oh man, I have to hang my head low. The news is not good. lol This is what you get when you spend less than 1 day preparing.

1) The sh*t lasted to 2.5 hours, maybe 3 and my vocals are blasted.
2) I never even got to touch my guitar. The one guy told me that he just wanted me to try out as a vocalist.
3) The set list was f**k up! Let me illustrate..

They gave me a set list that reads;

Proud Mary...CCR/Ike & Tina Turner
Mustang Sally.........Wilson pickett or anybody
I'd Love To Change The World....Ten Years After
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynrd
Gimme Three Steps - Lynyrd Skynrd
Road House Blues - Doors
She - Green Day
About A Girl - Nirvana
Bring it On Home - Led Zeppelin
Custard Pie - Led Zeppelin
Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
Jumpin Jack Flash - Rollin Stones
Sympathy For The Devil - Rollin Stones
My Worst enemy---lit
American idiot---Green Day
Back in the USSR....The Beatles
Bad Moon Rising.....CCR
Bang a Gong.........T. Rex
Birthday..............The Beatles
Dead Flowers..........The Rolling Stones
Who'll Stop the Rain?..Creedence Clearwater Revival
Play that Funky Music - Wild Cherry

I read it initially and cringed. I figured later, why not? What is the worst that could happen? ugghhhhhhh Oh man.

SO i get in there and the list has changed. I have all this music, cause i don't play most of this stuff. I like southern rock, yeah i think so. lol

So we end up playing; - means bad/+ is passable/0 is neutral

Bad Moon Rising.....CCR - (my voice tightened up and I did it an octave higher than usual)
I'd Love To Change The World....Ten Years After +
Roadhouse Blues +
Gimme 3 Steps +
Sweet Home Alabama +
About a girl 0
My own enemy - Lit - (omg my voice cracked) -
Sympathy For the devil +
Jumpin Jack Flash +
Proud Mary +
Back in the USSR +
Sunshine of your love -
Bad moon Rising -again this time an octave lower 0
Hey Joe +
Tush +

They omitted a lot;
Mustang Sally.........Wilson pickett or anybody
Custard Pie - Led Zeppelin (If they were to sink Levee, then forget the LZ)
Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
When the levee Breaks (this was my add and they just omitted it)
She - Green Day (the bass player didn't know either green day)
American idiot---Green Day(the bass player didn't know either green day)
Bang a Gong.........T. Rex (i was looking forward to this)
Birthday..............The Beatles (get real)
Dead Flowers..........The Rolling Stones ( nuh-uh)
Who'll Stop the Rain?..Creedence Clearwater Revival
Play that Funky Music - Wild Cherry (big veto on that)
Please don't Judas me - Nazereth (wtf is wrong with Nazareth?)
Hurdy Gurdy man- Donavan (they said no to hurdy gurdy)

SO bad Moon rising gave me issues, which is a first.
I did a Nirvana tune. ecchhh. I need a shower to feel clean again. lol
I have to laugh, the one guy asked me if this was my first time singing Rolling Stones, I said yes it was and he said he was shocked and that he liked it. I hate Mick Jagger. lol
Eccccchhhh Proud Mary.. I should shoot myself now!
Back in the USSR - was actually good. No one more shocked than I.
Impromptu Hey Joe sounded like a cross between that and Pride and Joy. lol

So I guess I can safely figure i won't get a call back on that setup, but if I have to do all that damn CCR, I won't shed a tear.

They didn't even know "SUSIE Q" which is a cool tune. No "GREEN RIVER". They wanted WHO WILL STOP THE RAIN, echh. The wanted Down on the corner. ecchh/

They threw out all the Green Day. I was kind of looking forward to experimenting with it.

And they stripped me down to NO VOCAL effects at all. Yet I had to bring my mic/a back up and a dsp 128.

Then the guy goes to me, "Well let's just say that you didn't sound like the recording on your my space page".

I felt like saying, "without any effects, you wouldn't either genius".

I suggested "Albatross" and "Clean my wounds". He let me know they were too heavy. uggghhhhh

I threw out, RADAR LOVE. Nope, they didn't know it.

I feel so dirty after that episode. I feel like I slept with the whole football team, 1 at a time. LOL

#15566 by jimmydanger
Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:23 am
I would respectfully suggest you forget auditioning for other people's bands. From what little I know about you - which is only from what you have written here - you should try to put your own thing together. For your style of music all you need is a drummer and bass player. With some effort you can find someone; but first you must learn to be more flexible, less judgemental and more open minded. The Nirvana crack was unnecessary; we know you stop listening to new music by 1990 but Nirvana was one of the most important bands of that decade. How often do you go out and see bands? You should go at least once a week, preferably bands you have never seen. This might nudge you out of your comfort zone and open your eyes to new things. The longer you go to these horrible auditions the more cynical you will become. Good luck.

#15569 by Starfish Scott
Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:59 am
I like Nirvana, I just forget sometimes that I can't perform it well.

And really, "About a girl" wasn't too bad. It was just a big dose of NEW in my veins. (cold shiver)

Kurt really had a very unique voice, very tough to make sound plausible.

Some of the other stuff I wanted to include/stuff they omitted would have been really good.

I definitely think the the My Worst enemy/LIT was a bad idea.

I laugh about the back handed compliment for the rolling stones Sympathy for the devil and Jumpin jack flash.

I went in saying that I couldn't do the Led Zeppelin/mustang sally/wild cherry/rolling stones and would max the CCR/Bang a Gong/Nazareth/Southern rock/LIT/Green Day/doors.

The only thing I think I really did well was the Doors and the Southern Rock, maybe a boob award for the Stones.

It was a debacle. Every time you think you know what's up, you might get surprised if you don't look out. I got surprised this evening and I don't like it at all, no sir not at all. lol (my vocal cords got all tight and sh*t, I should have had a shot of whiskey if I was going to be like that) (faq)

I miss my leslie effect.. (cries and pees a little) LMAO (pout)

Oh and I laughed at how well the Hendrix copy junk went. Another thing I shot my mouth off about and ended up saving my bacon with it.

Let's just say if my life depended on that audition, I'd be sitting with lead. lol

#15573 by Franny
Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:50 am
What's the new McDonald's motto? :lol:

Search Lennon's catalog you'll find it.

#15574 by TheCaptain
Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:14 pm
I feel like a dirty whore!~

Isn't that sort of inherent in that whole ~music business~ thing...?

#15580 by jw123
Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:09 pm
Scott, Ive turned down a couple of offers to join bands cause I was going to have to play the "same ole sh*t".

A cover musician is basically a cheap whore, a hit artist is high class but still basically a whore.

Remind me, Why do we do this?

JW

#15588 by RhythmMan
Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:43 pm
jw123, you said, " . . . Ive turned down a couple of offers to join bands cause I was going to have to play the "same ole sh*t".
Yeah, I've turned down 4 - 5 band offers for the same reason. I'm not going to let anyone take the pleasure away from playing . . .

#15590 by Irminsul
Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:45 pm
I haven't been in a cover band since I was 18.

#15591 by Starfish Scott
Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:48 pm
I don't know about you people, but I am getting bored looking for pink elephants among a sea of green bugs and purple tigers.

In other words, I grow tired of writing good stuff in order to have to convince others to participate.

I am a multi-tasker and I recognize the ability and desire to do something else, should the current situation be slow or non-responsive.

Thus, I do have my fingers in a couple other situations and I do search out others that have something I like. Be it the sound I like, be it the material I like, be it anything I like, I will participate/input over very little.

I have played with people that really didn't sound like much, other than the fact I liked them. That type of situation tends to burn itself out, though.

I do this stuff as I am bored and I can't create/buy 2 or 3 more clones.

And yes Franny, I completely concur when in doubt, snag a Beatles tune or 3. Je deteste cette "back in the ussr" et ils ne savent pas "lucy in the sky with diamonds". C'est l'étincelle qui a fait allumer l'incendie!

#15593 by JJW III
Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:57 pm
Captain Scott wrote:I don't know about you people, but I am getting bored looking for pink elephants among a sea of green bugs and purple tigers.
I do this stuff as I am bored and I can't create/buy 2 or 3 more clones.

I know exactly where you are coming from. Frustrating aint it? I have a bunch of stuff listed as an example of how I play, not what I want to write or play and I get "That sounds like heavy metal Jazz" or whatever and I am like "Dude, that is made up on the spot" Give me a drum beat and that is what I can do on the spot. Actual writing is whole different matter.

I don't know about you captain but I explain the idea of a composition to some one and they can't understand the concept, let alone attempt to play it, and like you said I can't do it all myself. Then if it is to complex or not a regurgitation of some other crap that has already been done, oh it will never work.

Like you I am tired of it.

Ok some one can say I suck. Maybe my songs do but like I said they aren't songs, they're improvs. I might believe I suck as a guitarist if I didn't hear what I am competing against. No, I am not the worlds greatest but I far from suck.

Open your freaking minds people.

Sorry captain to spout off on your thread but I can totally relate to where you are coming from and feel your frustration.

#15594 by Starfish Scott
Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:24 pm
Oh I love to hear "the spout"

Ignore the voices of the malcontents. They know very little.

And people hate that which they do not understand or are not capable of.

It's kind of like my "my space" pages. I get a lot of sh*t at times and I read it and laugh.

I find it ironic that people like to give compliments in private so others cannot read them. Case in point, I had a guy say some very complimentary things about the dog dirt I posted. He's writes them in email fashion, though. I tell him thank you and if you really feel that way, to post a comment so they world may read your thought.

(silence) lol And he was gone.

Then I get cretins who want to find fault. I welcome this, as unknown to them, I actually get creative ideas from negative energy at times.

And you know THEY always make the meanest shots the most public they can.

I don't know. It's a Hating/Wannabe/x/x1/x2 world out there. When you figure out what the other variables are, write the book that lists them. I haven't the foggiest clue about humanity, nor do I care to learn it.
#15617 by fisherman bob
Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:43 am
BINGO, PEOPLE. USE YOUR GOD-GIVEN CREATVITY, PEOPLE. WRITE SOME ORIGINALS AND PLAY THEM IN FRONT OF PEOPLE. DON'T PLAY COVERS LIKE COVERS, PLAY THEM THE WAY YOU WANT TO, PEOPLE. You ARE PEOPLE, aren't you, people? You're not mynah birds, right people? You don't have to mimic other people, do you people? Like the man said, OPEN YOUR FREAKING MINDS, PEOPLE. Later...

#15624 by Starfish Scott
Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:34 pm
See that's the issue, unless you have the finished proof they tend to doubt.

They do not realize that the finished proof eliminates some of the hired hands.

I mean if you like studio musicians, you can write to your hearts' content.

I personally, do not like studio musicians. It is just a preference, but it does give whatever created a certain intangible quality that otherwise may not be present. It's a warmth issue you might say. It's a brown sound issue. It's a feeling that you create with the right setup, as opposed to a lack of feeling.

I am an emotional player, I want the audience to feel every piece good, bad or indifferent. If I didn't evoke a strong emotional response, I didn't do my job correctly.
#15633 by Irminsul
Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:36 pm
fisherman bob wrote:BINGO, PEOPLE. USE YOUR GOD-GIVEN CREATVITY, PEOPLE. WRITE SOME ORIGINALS AND PLAY THEM IN FRONT OF PEOPLE. DON'T PLAY COVERS LIKE COVERS, PLAY THEM THE WAY YOU WANT TO, PEOPLE. You ARE PEOPLE, aren't you, people? You're not mynah birds, right people? You don't have to mimic other people, do you people? Like the man said, OPEN YOUR FREAKING MINDS, PEOPLE. Later...

Bob I really hate it when you sugar coat things. Just let it out, man!
#15644 by fisherman bob
Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:11 am
dissatisfied with cover bands. There's almost always arguments over which songs to cover. And then how many times can you listen to and perform a song you've heard a million times before? As much as I like pizza I would get sick of having the same pizza over and over and over again. I need to eat something I never had before. Just like I need to perform a song I never or seldom heard before. It drives me insane to go and audition with a band that's doing the same songs the same old way they've been done for the last few decades or more. Hell, that's what DJ's, karaoke, and juke boxes are for. Tired of this sugar-coating, got to go write another song. Later...