This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#114114 by 90 dB
Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:10 pm
You might want to look at the Studio Projects C1 or B1. Inexpensive, but very good. A lot of people like the AT mics as well. You will need a preamp with any of them however.

#117671 by jw123
Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:22 pm
The last recordings I did the engineer used a SM 57 for vocals. He has some sort of tube preamp, Im not sure the brand. But the 57 does a good job, suprised me when he put it up cause I love condensers for vocals. In the end it doesnt matter as long as you are getting the sound you want. I say this cause I hate to see someone go out and buy a $1000 mic thinking its going to magically make them sound like Chris Cornell. It doesnt work that way. If you are recording and playing live SM 57s are fairly inexpensive and are reliable. They are one of the staples of mics.

#117675 by Starfish Scott
Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:27 pm
sm58 or sm58 beta

#125494 by JamminJeffShire
Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:59 pm
Believe it or not, the mic pre amp is where the magic happens, IMO. For example, a UA LA-610 or similar pre with a Shure 57 or 58 will knock your socks off or any non-tube mic in this case.

Two tubes (mic and pre) may be too dark in many cases.

Budget usually dictates everything so if a UA or higher end mic pre is out of the question, then maybe a good clean pre like a Presonus Eureka will work.

Look at this way. If you take an expensive mic and try to shove it into a cheap mic pre, you still have the sound of the cheap mic pre in the way. Like a choke to the signal path.

That said, there are a few good cheap mic pre's that work well but it's a mindfield trying to find one that works well with your voice. Same goes for the mic choice. Voice matching to the mic is really important, even for home studio use.

If you are using the mic pre that is in your interface (whatever that may be) chances are you will be limited by the pre, not the mic. Sample rate (if digital) will affect the outcome too. Things get weird in the mix at 44/48, etc. but blossom at 96 or higher.

At the end of the day you can use a great mic pre on anything for the most part.

Welcome to the world of compromise. It's a bitch.

#140483 by KLUGMO
Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:10 am
I use SM58[/b]
#140667 by PatrickPulver
Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:43 am
As mentioned above, it depends on the vocal and the track. If you are serious about your recordings, go to a real studio where you will have a wide election of mics, and pres to create the sound needed for the track.

Just my 2 yen.

#141208 by Jorma
Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:58 pm
Sure Beta 58's are tough to beat. If you need something more sensitive you can always check out the MXL 990.

Mic

#141609 by LegsPond
Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:59 pm
an SM 58 is great for live, butb for recording try an MXL 90oo any Cool Audio Dudes studio mic.

#155080 by A Persuasive Reason
Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:58 pm
It really depends on your budget as well. For the lower end, the Beta 87A is a little crisper with more clarity than the Beta 58, but it's also a condenser and requires phantom power.

I personally own a Rode NT 2000, Avatone CV12, and a Newmann TLM 103. I bought the CV12 because it was the mic used for Taylor Swift, and I had a female project coming up. However, I found that I ended up using the Rode for her voice. I run that into an UA LA610, no EQ and compression dial set at about 2.2. You can hear this setup on my recordings. It's a great match for her particular voice and very natural.

I've messed with the MXL stuff, but I have found them to be grainy and lacking fundamental. However there is a guy online that makes mods for alot of those mics, capsule replacements, etc... I've not used a modded one, but I hear they sound very close to their high end counterparts at a fraction of the cost. Here is the link to his website. Again, I've never tried any of his items, but being a gadget guy, I am intrigued at the idea of doing a hardware hack/mod to a mic.

http://oktavamod.com

TJ

#155369 by blues edge
Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:07 am
all good ! the rode nt1 or nt2 works pretty well for not a lot o $ also. the problem is it cost a lot to experiment . everyones voice is different & like someone else mentioned the pre amp interaction playes a big role as well.
borrow a beta 58 & try it if your happy then go no further .

#155558 by Mommy Complex
Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:05 am
Blue makes some decent handheld condensers. Blue Microphone enCORE 300A is little pricey at $199. Running sound for years and in the studio we pretty much used SM 58 & SM 57's for everyone. SM 57's are great for miking a guitar cab. We used condensers a lot for those few people who are timid when it comes to projecting their voice. SM 58 is $99 everywhere unless you get itused. Sennheisers are another fave. They sell 3 packs of E 835 mics for $229 on at Sweetwater online. My personal fave is the Neumann U87A. Yes for $3,000 it it a damn fine condenser.

#156109 by minionv2
Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:24 am
i 2nd the condenser mikes ..