This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#149984 by RGMixProject
Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:40 pm
and

to think my first jingle was with Red Book Phone Book for AM radio um-teen years ago.

Not only is it who you know, but WHEN your in, its harder to STAY in the who you know.

Constant daily communication "sometime hourly" is a prerequisite.

#149987 by Etu Malku
Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:38 am
I was taking lessons with a cool guitarist John Berenzy (Johnny Jewel) back in the 80's and he double booked himself for studio work and 'made' me go do one of his sessions . . . lol, I was poopin' in my pants, turned out to be a piece of cake, better yet piece of toothpaste, I ended up playing almost inaudible guitar wah on a Colgate Pump commercial . . . got paid, but never asked to do another one, LOL!!!

#150161 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:38 pm
Why not? Do I detect a lack of confidence?

Where's your chutzpah, bro?? Once you've reached a certain level of talent, that is all that separates the working from the wanna-bees. Well, that and rehearsal

#150326 by RhythmMan-2
Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:02 pm
Yod said, "We're talking about business and the reality is that everyone in business has to make an investment to compete. If you really think you "have the goods" then you will spend less on video games and movies until you come up with the cash. If you are the least bit unsure of your ability to compete, you won't. Hence the point of the $300 fee.
"
Heh - I can't afford video games or the movies, either!
:)

#152364 by Greg Bullock
Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:32 pm
Here's the deal with TAXI ...

It's not for everyone!

If you are not writing songs that "fit the mold", then it's not for you. TAXI, in order to please the music supervisors that use them, they have an obligation to only pass along songs that specifically fit what the MS is looking for. In most cases, that is something that is "commercially viable". If they list a number of bands/songs they want a song to sound like in their "opportunity", what you send them must resemble that sound very closely.

If your music is truly original, your chances are diminished greatly.

Also, keep in mind that when you submit a song, it is being screened by one individual, who may or may not take to your style of music.

In most cases, you are better off contacting music supervisors directly. Many of them accept hard copy submissions. Most will not take the time to go to your website for a listen ... they will grab your CD off of their desks, along with a handful of others, and listen while driving to their next appointment. If one of your songs strikes them, they will contact you.

It's up to you to find and pursue the music supervisors. Or, find someone to represent you (an agent) who is willing to take a percentage of the take on the licensing of your music. Do your homework, and listen to what they have used in the films, TV shows or videos they have worked with. Some are fairly specific stylistically. If you are writing pop or country songs, you don't want to be pursuing the people responsible for the music in "True Blood" or "The Vampire Diaries".

You should not be paying anyone, anything up front to be "screened". That is just throwing $$$ down the hopper.

One thing above all ... your music MUST be of "broadcast quality" and well produced. No MS is going to take the time dealing with music they'd have to re-record/produce. They'll just move on to another song.

#152373 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:36 pm
UmbraMusic wrote:Here's the deal with TAXI ...

It's not for everyone!

If you are not writing songs that "fit the mold", then it's not for you. TAXI, in order to please the music supervisors that use them, they have an obligation to only pass along songs that specifically fit what the MS is looking for. In most cases, that is something that is "commercially viable". If they list a number of bands/songs they want a song to sound like in their "opportunity", what you send them must resemble that sound very closely..

Like I said...you must be able to compete and have the goods. It's not the only avenue, of course, but if you live in Bumforge Nowhere, it's a way to connect without moving to the big city (like Music XRay and others but with a better track record)

The best way would be to move to NYC or LA and get into the film industry to meet the people who are looking for film music, combined with a professional recording studio in your house and the ability/talent to score an orchestra.

Outside of that there are limited opportunities, but if it was easy everyone would be doing it already.