This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Drums and Accessories.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#150118 by RhythmJester
Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:15 am
I am self taught, 40yr old. I have been playing for 6yrs, in a couple of bands. I am told I am a great in the pocket player but I am told I should still take lessons. My biggest weakness is for some reason ending songs or even sometimes starting. I really dont think I could learn to take lessons and read music and all that. Any tips?

#151209 by Noli
Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:54 pm
Watch drummers on youtube. There are some great tips, exercises, techniques on there. You can investigate on what you should learn and work on it without taking lessons.

Its about developing. Practice and play. They are 2 different things. Practicing is whole different world. Respect that. It develops the memory to muscle connections.

Invest time on your own voice on the drums, don't always practice listening to recordings. Spend some time playing and listening to yourself; it's like you are singing on the drums. This will tap into your creativity. Relaxing is a key and not tensing your muscles. It can be a simple phrase like 'ABC' or solifa.

Your song ending must mean a crescendo!? That'll be your technique, maybe you are not technically proficient to express yourself OR you are not confident and you get a thought block e.g. thinking too far ahead.

Good luck.

#151712 by ChrisLarabell
Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:53 pm
If your trouble is with beginning and/or ending songs, don't look to your playing skills as the answer. You need to brush up your listening and really study the songs your playing. Its not bad playing that causes drummers to slip up on a song, its a lack of confidence in the correct way to start or end a song.

When I was gigging all the time I had a ruff time remembering the beginnings and endings of some songs. Burn those to CD and listen to them at least ten times a day. You'll get it... no problem. Trust me, as a teacher I know that works.

Need to memorize the details of the songs.

#154063 by RhythmJester
Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:27 pm
Guys - Thanks for the advise!!!

#157158 by HEARINATOR
Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:57 am
You gotta be able to feel the music to play music in my opinion, if you don't feel it then a drummer doesn't sound right.

#159701 by United We Stand
Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:05 am
For som reason i cant seem to do a fill during a song but i can when im not. help??

#159705 by RGMixProject
Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:56 am
Colourless Rainbow wrote:For som reason i cant seem to do a fill during a song but i can when im not. help??

Are you counting in your head before, durning and after the fill?

#159943 by feeling good
Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:08 pm
Playing for many different bands as hirerd to play person when needed I've learn to listen and keep my head up (most drumers look down a lot and off to the side) and watch what the others are doing every band plays different they change things up and once you get the feel of the bass player and the lead guidarist and watch their hands on the neck you will get a better feel of starting and ending.