This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#151095 by PaperDog
Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:03 am
1) Grab some binoculars
2) Grab a small bottle and a pair of tweezers
3) Search the landscape, or hide In Bass Player Blinds in the hills... Scan the terrain for a bass player with your binoculars.
4) When you see one... reverse the binoculrs and look through them from the large end. Note the tiny bass player.
5) Grab the tiny bass player with your tweezers.
6) Drop the bass player in the small bottle
7) Secure the cap on the bottle .

Done!
#151096 by PaperDog
Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:05 am
PaperDog wrote:1) Grab some binoculars
2) Grab a small bottle and a pair of tweezers
3) Search the landscape, or hide In Bass Player Blinds in the hills... Scan the terrain for a bass player with your binoculars.
4) When you see one... reverse the binoculrs and look through them from the large end. Note the tiny bass player.
5) Grab the tiny bass player with your tweezers.
6) Drop the bass player in the small bottle
7) Secure the cap on the bottle .

Done!

I have found that you can actually lure Bass players into close range, using a snare and Bass drum Rythym device. Some even say that a wah wah pedal on a guitar can do the trick...

#151100 by fisherman bob
Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:45 am
There's something Freudian about your post. Some latent disrespect for bass players. I've been in a number of bands where I was considered the least important band member. Seems like a lot of people consider bass a sideman instrument. I've been kicked out of bands only to be begged to come back (sorry too late). Then I've quit bands that subsequently dissolved. If you put a bass player's influence on the same level as all the other instruments and STRESS that in your search for one you'll have much better luck finding one. A good one might come out of the bushes, no binoculars needed...

#151111 by PaperDog
Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:08 am
fisherman bob wrote:There's something Freudian about your post. Some latent disrespect for bass players. I've been in a number of bands where I was considered the least important band member. Seems like a lot of people consider bass a sideman instrument. I've been kicked out of bands only to be begged to come back (sorry too late). Then I've quit bands that subsequently dissolved. If you put a bass player's influence on the same level as all the other instruments and STRESS that in your search for one you'll have much better luck finding one. A good one might come out of the bushes, no binoculars needed...

I dunno about that Freudian thing... Let me assure you, I have much love and respect for bass players...In fact...I've explained this before.... I say to bass players on this project...Show me you can do something with my simple little tune ...Show me that you can breathe your life into it... and you'll have a best friend out of me, and a musical partner, bar none the best advocate of your existence in the big picture of 'us' the band.

I take that kind of relationship very seriously, and quite frankly , I haven't met another musician that feels that strong as i do about it.. Maybe its there, but they just aren't showing it, or I just ain't seeing it...

And to tell you the truth, "greatness" (However self perpetuated and delusional) needs no coddling. What I mean is, if you know your own chops, and you feel you can handle the other guys' chops...if the musical chemistry is there... no explanation is required about the subsequent influence... Its not even an issue. Its simply assumed that it exists and will be nurtured.

As for the binoculars thing... that's really out of endearment...not disrespect...

#151114 by fisherman bob
Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:32 am
"Drop the bass player in the small bottle". What could possibly be more Freudian than that? Why not say "here's the finite place, a jail cell, that you will occupy in this band." How about another Freudian remark: "Show me something you can do with my simple little tune." Or "I say to bass players on this project". ME SOMETHING. MY SIMPLE. THIS PROJECT. What if the bass player was a songwriter as well. What if he (or she) was a lead singer? What if the bass player was also a capable frontman? Everything about your post and your answer to my remarks SCREAMS I'm in control and you will have a finite place in this project. I know you created this thread with humorous intent but I'm a perceptive SOB and I've been in bands where I was given a place that restrained my creative abilities. In those situations I pack my gear and leave, give no explanation, and people are left wondering WTF happened...

#151124 by philbymon
Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:08 pm
LMAO

I'm a bass player. I often piss ppl off because my vision of a tune is so different from theirs. Yet, when allowed to play without restrictions, I nearly always pull more life out of a tune than was there previously.

I think the reason for this is that so many ppl are bass-driven, in their minds, yet they don't think as open-mindedly, & approach the instrument (& the musician) with a certain rigidity of thought. Lots of ppl relegate the bass to the extremely simple. Others "hear" the extremely complex, in their mind's ear. However they think of it, they expect their own vision to be performed, & when it isn't, they become frustrated.

Bass is rarely, if ever, in the forefront for most bands, &, when a composer or a band leader hears something a bit out of the "norm," it grabs his attention, & often grates on his nerves until his vision is the one that's played. I find this rigidity more in the blues & bluegrass genres than any other, for some reason, but it's there in every genre.

Guitarists in particular have this problem, I've found.

Imagine, say, if The Who had used Paul McCartney instead of Entwistle as their bassist. They would have been a completely different band, yet I bet they would have been just as viable. Many musicians don't think in those terms. They think bassists are interchangeable as nuts & bolts on a car, without realizing that the bass is an actual instrument, & not just a "required sound" in music...& that bass players are musicians, not just harmonizing thumps used to glorify a guitar.

I imagine that drummers have it even worse...in my mind I can hear Captain Beefheart yelling at his drummer to "play a strawberry!"

#151143 by Starfish Scott
Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:59 pm
philbymon wrote:LMAO

I'm a bass player. I often piss ppl off because my vision of a tune is so different from theirs. Yet, when allowed to play without restrictions, I nearly always pull more life out of a tune than was there previously.

OH THAT WAS A MOUTHFUL !!!!

Yes, it's insulting to teach someone the part you envision/hear them play and realize they have their own spin on it.

If they have been playing that tune for a while, it is hard to hear another version you didn't write.

Now if the guitarist etc. is smart, what they do it during the audition phase is to try to get them to pump some improv into the tune to see if the new bassist's vision could actually could work.

Sometimes you get a better tune. Sometimes you get a different tune.

Sometimes you know that the guy is a loon and he needs to go back to the dog pound where you picked him up.

When I played bass, I pissed off countless people by playing a part that was still in the pocket but yet not what was written. You know the people are ding dongs when they don't even notice...

(shaking glass bottle, "is he in there", shaking it some more)(does he need water and some grass to eat?)(stop tapping the glass)

#151153 by fisherman bob
Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:45 pm
Thanks Chief Engineer Scott and Philbymon. I couldn't have said it better myself.

#151154 by Starfish Scott
Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:49 pm
What people do not realize is that bassist is the best friend your guitar loving ass has.

"It sure isn't your drummer". lol

Oh and you'd better run if your bassist is upset, because you know damn sure that your group probably won't be sounding good THAT night.

------
Bob you ought to give lessons if you aren't already.
Same goes for Philby !

PS: Just "Scott" works fine and the rank is for forum fun, only.

#151155 by PaperDog
Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:02 pm
fisherman bob wrote:"Drop the bass player in the small bottle". What could possibly be more Freudian than that? Why not say "here's the finite place, a jail cell, that you will occupy in this band." How about another Freudian remark: "Show me something you can do with my simple little tune." Or "I say to bass players on this project". ME SOMETHING. MY SIMPLE. THIS PROJECT. What if the bass player was a songwriter as well. What if he (or she) was a lead singer? What if the bass player was also a capable frontman? Everything about your post and your answer to my remarks SCREAMS I'm in control and you will have a finite place in this project. I know you created this thread with humorous intent but I'm a perceptive SOB and I've been in bands where I was given a place that restrained my creative abilities. In those situations I pack my gear and leave, give no explanation, and people are left wondering WTF happened...

Seriously Bob?? If you read my posts backwards, I'm really saying that Paul is dead... LOL! (and How Freudian toward bass players is that...?) I think you are reading way too much into my post. I view band efforts, such as performance and recording as a "business" part of the art. Its team oriented in the long haul... I'm not inclined to let my future go down a toilet on account of somebody else can't on a very basic level, comprehend my vision.

So, to that end, If I am failing to get my vision across, and or if what gets across isn't appealing enough, I'll work a little harder ... I'll just go figure out the bass lines myself...then if someone wants in later, I'm still gonna make em jump through my hoops...first. Its just gotta be that way...

A lot of musicians mistake that for arrogance... But its not arrogance. I have my standards, and I know what I'm willing to accept...everything else is just a waste of time...

And BTW, I'm a pretty perceptive SOB too... :wink: I noticed that in two of your posts now, you've gone on about how you quit and leave a band hanging, if they don't agree with your sensibilities. In my world, that's really not professional. I mean, you might come off to others as that 'whiny guy who storms out when things don't go his way" .

You are suggesting that I foster a restraint on creativity against other musicians... You could not be MORE WRONGER EST about that. Its quite the opposite. I'm gate-keeping hard, to weed out copious amounts of losers/... Think of it like that search for the soul mate...except its the soul mate of music. It may come off to you as harsh or unreasonable... but there are some musicians out there who get what I'm trying to accomplish. Naturally, those would be the ones I'm interested in talking to.

Now, Here's the Million dollar question of the day for you: Why did Led Zepplin quit and dissolve the band?

#151165 by fisherman bob
Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:57 pm
You're simply the Alpha male. I get along great with SOME Alpha males. Those who have to be the Alpha male 100% of the time are trouble. Not worth messing with if you're a creative musician. I tell those 100%ers to send me their songlist, I'll learn every one and show up ad gig, no rehearsal needed. As far as working on originals I'll come up with basslines for EVERY one of theirs IF they come up with guitar parts for EVERY one of mine. Now I don't have dozens of originals. So I usually do more of theirs than mine (if they have more than mine). The bulk of the learning curve is usually on me. Time permitting I can usually learn an entire night's worth of music, even if I get blisters doing it (often hapens), within a few weeks. If the other band members censor ANY of my original tunes, I leave. No whining necessary. I'm happy to jump through your hoops if you're happy jumping through a few of mine. Deal or no deal...

#151167 by gbheil
Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:24 pm
[img][img]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm74/sanshouheil/Copy2ofNKF7-4-11018.jpg[/img][/img]

I find this whole conversation rather odd.
" Floyd " here, is the best and as we say the only true musician in our band.
Soft spoke, humorous, kind an loving soul he is.
Vietnam veteran, father grandfather, I could go on all day but I'm sure you get my point by now.
Saturday, at last moments notice he was asked to fill as bassist for the band that went on before us.
He did with pleasure, playing southern gospel music then transitioning into our original rock without a hitch.
He composes the bass lines for all of our original music with total autonomy.

Floyd is the man.

#151172 by fisherman bob
Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:36 pm
Napolean was supposedly a rather odd character. The Napolean complex is unfortunately a commonplace personality defect in band "leaders". You guys (NKF) haven't got any members with the Napolean complex. That's why your music progresses as it has.

#151177 by gbheil
Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:41 am
fisherman bob wrote:Napolean was supposedly a rather odd character. The Napolean complex is unfortunately a commonplace personality defect in band "leaders". You guys (NKF) haven't got any members with the Napolean complex. That's why your music progresses as it has.

You might be surprised Bob.
I'm as freakin anal as they come.
And Ray ... he is full blooded redhead for sure.

But when it comes to the Band .

Your absolutely correct.

Family ( the band ) comes before the individuals.
Always has.