This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#12954 by clarence05
Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:56 pm
I play Bass, been still living the dream for 40yrs. now .5 kids, 6 grandkids .
My wife has stayed home while I did my thing, 80's got off the drugs and booze(ROCK STAR LIFE STYLE) I finally grew up, HA!!! HAA!!!.I have been playing the bar circuit since then having a hell of a good time.I am happy ,content with the way things are.I have been with the guitar player for 15yrs. now we know where the other is going & play off each other.I have 2 grandkids starting to play so the dream will still survive.I am still enjoying the ride,as long as there are no roadblocks ahead.

#12969 by johnnya
Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:43 am
:shock: wow, sounds like your a rich man, same here, just part of life, been a volunteer coach for little league football, pop warner just got down here in south texas, i know i will be busy, God bless,

#13395 by Lady Rocker
Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:23 pm
Hey johnnya -- so - if back in June you say you're expecting another one -- then ya only have a few more months to go aye!??

Well Congrats! I think that's great!! :D

#13890 by singersongwriter1
Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:55 pm
To: Jacquee Rae
I too am married and a mother of 4 kids myself . I hear you on not getting out their musically as much! However ,don't give up on your dream. I am living proof it can still come true! I am starting to feel called to get out their more even with my 4 kids! I will be performing my first gig this christmas and begin my first C.D. after that. I began, simply by, finding a restraunt with a karaoke setup that I could sing solo to. This is not at a karaoke hour. It is just a solo performance that I will bring my own Christmas Accompiament C.D.'s to sing to. Hold on to your dreams, as your time will come ! Blessings to you and your family!

To : Sbrown67

I myself am a Contempory christian singer / songwriter working on my first C.D. also. I would like to be able to connect with other christian artist as well. I don't see a way to contact you to stay in touch as you begin your recording contract. Congrats! on that! I will add my email on my site for you to contact me. Blessings to you and your family,
Sincerely ,
Singer/songerwriter1
Melanie

#13922 by johnnya
Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:40 am
yea, he is due in december 5th, 4 boys and one girl, :D
#15022 by ted_lord
Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:36 am
I must be crazy or something or dare to persevere against the overwhelming odds of making the dream, and raising a kid....oh well I guess she'll just have to put the strings down and stop singing, the thought of trying to raise a kid while getting a band together and running boggles my mind now...never mind me actually thinking about doing it, but fortunately for me I like crazy

#15072 by johnnya
Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:28 am
i love the balance, my kids show interest in the music, my wife is a fluetest, but when your young and music is a go-ahead, stay single and focused, but as my time is heading forward, having a family isnt so bad, but i focused on my music full time when i was younger, and now, i still perform and play and taking it as it comes, and do look and go after interesting venues, but i consider my family in my decision.

#15086 by chitownfan
Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:01 pm
I have 3 kids 14 , 20 and 21 and a grandson 4 months
Man did I feel old when he came but I love him to death
Im divorced and now remarried after being divorced for 8 years. When I went through my divorce is when I started playing again. So I gave it up for alot of years and the dream was still there. Now I try to balance and my wife and kids do get the short end of the stick some times. I try not to play in bars the weekends I have my 14 year old but I play festivals where he can go. I try and make him feel a part of by working some lights or selling cds.In practice every once in awhile I will show him something easy he can play with the band on keyboards. A simple allman Bros tune.
Done somebody wrong. At times he still complains and so does my wife so I know they need some attention at the time so I try and do something not with music with them.My goal is to show my kids and grandkids that you are never to old to pursue your dreams. I cant put this down anymore . i have to keep going till I die. All dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. (Walt Disney)
Good luck hope you find the balance and when you do bottle it and give us some lol.
#15094 by Swampy
Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:21 pm
I was palying 5 nights a week, usually 2 gigs a night on weekends plus perhaps a wedding reception, too. All while supporting a sickly wife, 2 kids and going to college full time. Thank goodness it only lasted 5 or 6 years ... the candle was burned in the middle as well as both ends!

If you're really good at scheduling your time, you can have it all. By all means keep the kids in the picture .... they grow up and leave you so quickly, you don't want to waste a minute of it.

Who knows, you may discover some hidden talents / interests your kids have, too.

Swampy

#15141 by OuttaHand
Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:20 pm
I'm pretty new around here. Just getting to read this, and can relate to alot of it.

I'm 42, rugrats include a 14 yr old boy, and daughters 11 and 5. Been married for 17 years. My wife is not a musician and neither was anyone in her family. My old man played music forever so we have different backgrounds.

It's been hard at times to make the family and band things work, takes a compromise on each side. And getting a little older helped me too, now I remember that it's all for the fun, fame is out of reach.

My kids have shown absolutely no interest in music, that's the hard part for me. :cry:

#15144 by Franny
Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:49 pm
OuttaHand wrote:My kids have shown absolutely no interest in music, that's the hard part for me. :cry:
Wow thats a bummer man, my oldest boy plays guitar in a band (that screamin' metal stuff) my middle son wanted drums, so i got him a starter set that he beat on for under a half an hour in 4 years, my 10 yo son loves to sing and has a mini Fender Strat, so i'm going to break down and get him some lessons.

It's awesome as all get out to be onstage with your son, even us shooting ideas off each other or setting up guitars together is like "better than Fishing". :lol: 8)

#15154 by OuttaHand
Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:27 pm
Franny wrote:
OuttaHand wrote:My kids have shown absolutely no interest in music, that's the hard part for me. :cry:
Wow thats a bummer man, my oldest boy plays guitar in a band (that screamin' metal stuff) my middle son wanted drums, so i got him a starter set that he beat on for under a half an hour in 4 years, my 10 yo son loves to sing and has a mini Fender Strat, so i'm going to break down and get him some lessons.

It's awesome as all get out to be onstage with your son, even us shooting ideas off each other or setting up guitars together is like "better than Fishing". :lol: 8)

I have no doubt it would be awesome, but can't see it happening. My 11 yo will goof on the ukelele once in awhile but when I try to show her anything she loses interest.

#15155 by Irminsul
Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:40 pm
I recall being 11 once...and I lost interest in just about everything in 20 seconds flat. Could just be an age thing.

#15156 by RhythmMan
Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:16 pm
I don't have a son/daughter to pass my knowledge down to.
. . . wish I did . . .
So, I see now how the whole idea of 'apprentice-ship' come into being . . .
If I found the right kid, a good kid, I'd give him/her unlimited free lessons . . . make 'em my apprentice . . .
. . . they can carry my amp for me; and I'll teach them for free . . .
:)
They just need to have 'it.' (You shouldn't have do ask what 'it' is . . .)
Either you have it or you don't. If you don't have it, then lessons won't make you great . . . but you can become good, anyway . . .
But, if they had superior determination, and were willing to practice even half as much as me; - I'd see to it that they became one of the best and most respected musicians around . . .
That's not an offer to the general public, by the way . . .

. . . but, on the other hand: if anyone near Madison, CT knows of a good kid who wants to learn . . . .