This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#120537 by Goldeneye
Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:29 am
It's interesting how the print media especially categorises music: pop as distinct from rock, jazz, opera or classical can cover a wide scope of genres and still be pop.

I perform pop music: I am a pop musician. I am quite unusual in my particular field - live music in pubs etc - playing pop as most live pub music is rock, jazz or blues. Whether this could be down to 'pop' acts not offering their demos to pub landlords I don't know. As with any genre or era of music, there will always be real gems that live forever as well as total crap that will appear, have its five minutes and then fade into oblivion. Pop shouldn't be a dirty word here or anywhere else: I like playing pop music and have no desire to be a rocker, bluesist, jazzer or folkie.

Ps Culture Club sold millions of records in their day; truly popular pop music.

#120556 by gbheil
Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:10 pm
PPS

And it still ... SUCKS :lol:

#144567 by Goldeneye
Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:41 am
It doesn't have to be good, well written, well performed, or anything else that gives it true artistic merit.

Interesting, this. It doesn't have to be well-produced, written or played of course; it just articulates something which people identify with and is accessible. Pop is capable of great art: think of Good Vibrations for example; a song which was abandoned for six months, painstakingly layered and superbly produced by Brian Wilson before being released to global success. It is possible to produce perfect pop records and be respected by your peers. Selling lots of units and selling out are two different things; it is possible to be popular and credible. Ultimately, pop is what we all play here really in that most of us don't really play jazz, opera or classical music. The quality papers divide and categorise music thus: pop, classical, opera, jazz. If it ain't one of the latter three, it's the former!

#145876 by NecroNath
Tue May 03, 2011 8:55 am
I used to snub pop in my youth but I have grown to appreciate it and even enjoy some of it.

I suppose as a musician, Pop is just not 'Cool' as it's mainly manufactured by record labels to sell records. Is there really a huge problem with that? People need to make a living...

Personally, I am disillusioned with the Metal scene at the moment. It is being packaged and manufactured like Pop music going against the roots of rebellion. You can see this reflected in the Hip Hop genre with the rise of BLING. This doesn't however, reflect badly on pure pop. Pop is there to appeal to the mass and to be quite frank, Pop in my opinion is quite good at the moment with the likes of Marina and the Diamonds, Pendulum and Lady Gaga

#145976 by drag57
Wed May 04, 2011 2:43 pm
pop is the catchy infectious stuff an it takes good songwriting.how can that be bad.

#165464 by Kenny Brunet
Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:18 am
bass117 wrote:Don't understand why pop is regarded as 'cheesy'. Surely most of the famous, greatest and best contemporary artistes music have won acclaim by their music being in the 'popular' charts and on Top of the Pops:
Metallica, Eric Clapton, Bon Jovi, Bowie, Nirvana, Muse.
So, yes people have got it totally wrong. Pop is not all about boy bands and rap.

Top of the Pops! Love the old replays with commentary on BBC4. Bass117 are you in a band? I need a bass player. [email protected]

#182813 by squodge
Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:03 am
As others have said, pop just means "popular"... so in that respect, it's not really a genre of music. Back in the early 90s, I used to wonder why bands like Blur were considered "indie", as indie meant "independent label". But from what I remember, Blur were not signed to an independent label. Anyway, that's just being pedantic.

More to the point, why aren't modern "R&B" and modern "soul" called pop? There's hardly any inventive rhythm and almost no blues in modern R&B. And modern soul just sounds like so-called "pop music".

Either way, there's nothing wrong with pop[ular] music. Obviously, if it's popular then it means the final production hits the spot. The iPad is popular... doesn't make it bad.

#188520 by Lee192
Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:08 am
Pop music is just like any genre. Some is sh*t (One Direction) and some is great (Prince)

#188626 by gbheil
Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:06 pm
squodge wrote:As others have said, pop just means "popular"... so in that respect, it's not really a genre of music. Back in the early 90s, I used to wonder why bands like Blur were considered "indie", as indie meant "independent label". But from what I remember, Blur were not signed to an independent label. Anyway, that's just being pedantic.

More to the point, why aren't modern "R&B" and modern "soul" called pop? There's hardly any inventive rhythm and almost no blues in modern R&B. And modern soul just sounds like so-called "pop music".

Either way, there's nothing wrong with pop[ular] music. Obviously, if it's popular then it means the final production hits the spot. The iPad is popular... doesn't make it bad.

Don't make it good neither.
If it appeals to the ignorant masses.
It's probably shyt.

#190614 by Rail Music Recording
Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:34 pm
FANCY the chance to record your own music, in a professional recording studio with professional help for free?

----------------------------TWO HOURS FREE SESSION RECORDING-----------------------------------

That’s the opportunity being offered by Rail Music Recording who is looking for London acts interested in recording their demo.

Entrants can record original or music cover.

A professional Sound Engineer will follow your session through the final mastering.

If you are interested in grabbing a place for a free recording session simply email, name of the act or band, names and ages of members, a contact name, telephone number and email address, previous musical experience and musical style of the act.

We are looking forwards to hearing from you.

Rail Music Recording

#190710 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:10 pm
I think its all in how the 'hater' (of pop music) defines it. For many, 'pop' means Britney Spears, Madonna, etc: music with little soul or meaning, catering to the teen audience who just want to dance and sing along.