This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#143621 by Piss Finger
Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:23 am
This town is a joke man! Are there any REAL musicians here? I mean almost everyone I run across in this town has some f**k ridiculous laundry list of requirements that have nothing to do with music. I.E. What's the hang up with age here? I mean sure I don't want to play with a bunch of 16 year olds but generally speaking who gives a f**k about age? I thought it was about the music? There seems to be a whole lot of f**k up ideas about what it takes to make music. I never had this problem where I am from. People there are all about the music and not some laundry list that sounds like you're dating instead of playing music. sh*t....

#143626 by fisherman bob
Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:39 am
That's a big problem with music in general these days. It's NOT about the music, it's about the "image." If you're too old, too heavy, too thin, NOT photogenic, then it doesn't matter how well you play. Ever since MTV, image trumps musical substance. I feel sorry for anybody who is turned off by appearance and thus doesn't give the music a listen to. It's B.S. What you need to do is find people like yourself. Put some ads on Craig's or Backpage.com. Explain your sentiments you posted here. I guarantee there's others in your area who feel the same way. You'll find people but you have to weed out the superficial "plastic" musical non-entities. Too bad you don't live in the K.C. area, although to a degree we have that problem here as well.

#143702 by Piss Finger
Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:21 pm
Well, here in this town the big hang-up seems to be age. And I'm talking about "musicians" who are within 10 years of me age-wise. It just blows my mind man. Hey, who funkin' needs a very experienced guitarist with stage experience.... oooh.... he's tooooooo OLD!!!! There are a lot of dreamers here who think they are going to be the next big freakshow. I don't have any delusions of hitting the big time. I just want to make some good music with some real people and make a little cash for our efforts. I guess I am used to different attitudes being from Texas. We just have so many incredibly talented musicians there who, on the whole, tend not to be so judgmental about non-musical related things. :?

#143774 by gbheil
Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:07 am
Freak-show ... there is your answer right there man.

Colorado has great beauty ... but there is not enough money on the planet for me to live in Denver.

No offense meant bro ... just too many people and too much traffic.

I'd go postal in the first week.

#143825 by Piss Finger
Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:54 am
sanshouheil wrote:Freak-show ... there is your answer right there man.

Colorado has great beauty ... but there is not enough money on the planet for me to live in Denver.

No offense meant bro ... just too many people and too much traffic.

I'd go postal in the first week.

No offense taken at all my brother. And yeah, it is a freak show here. Long story about how I wound up in Denver but I'm originally a Texas boy! I don't have to tell you that we grow musicians on trees down there! :lol: I miss Texas.... :cry:

#143830 by gbheil
Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:35 am
Sweet ... a Texan :D

I fell in love with Colorado on some Elk hunting trips I was privileged to make with family.
Wanted to move up there myself ...
The elders of my extended family need me here.

Best wishes with your musical endeavors listening to the tunes on your profile now.
Live ?
I like!

#143843 by Piss Finger
Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:55 pm
Yeah, Colorado was a really cool place about 25 or so years ago. It used to be really laid back and the fun factor was off the charts at that time. Colorado has changed so drastically in the past 25-30 years and not for the better IMHO. It's crazy here man.... The only thing they haven't figured out how to tax you for is the air your breathe. But I'm sure they are working on that. They also have more cops here than anywhere I've ever been. They call out the SWAT team here for jaywalkers! I always thought our politicians were crooked as hell in Texas but the politicians here make ours look like choir boys. I've never seen such a corrupt government at the state and county level. But I digress.... one day I will return back home to Texas. I never realized how much I love my home state until I no longer lived there.

Thanks for the props on my tunes. Yeah, that one tune is a live recording of an impromptu jam with my last band from 2010. The other recording is just a documentation of an original idea I had. I was playing with the lead over-dubs.... just a rough recording. I'm working on some better recordings but it's taking time. I'm having to do all the parts myself since I can't find the right folks here.

#143983 by Mike9699
Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:00 pm
Bluesman, your not alone brother. I think it's like that in a lot of places these days. I laugh at those same laundry lists like no ego's, no flakes etc. from people advertising on Craigslist for musicians. Hell, my flakey ego is my best feature. No wonder they can't find anyone. Personally I don't want to play with a bunch of prima donna's like that.

#144012 by Piss Finger
Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:15 am
I hear ya man. I like to live dangerously... as in throw some people together and just see what happens. Sometimes all the quirks work together really well. That's been my experience. YMMV. As for the age thing, I'm an "old fart" and I have played with two monster drummers that weren't even 20 yet. But they had the most killer chops of anyone I've ever played with in more than 30 years. Point is it worked because it was about the music first. But oh well....

#144131 by Starfish Scott
Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:30 pm
SSDD, NJ sux ballz as well. It's getting to be the same all over.

"It's better to have a pack of novice, devoted, decent, well-meaning kids to play with than a bunch of mean, cretinous older types that want to dominate and extract special crap because they think they are entitled to it."

#144156 by Krul
Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:15 pm
I've been inconvenienced from guys who say they want to play live...blah blah...and then never are able to practice because they have families and wives that hold them back. Well, that's just fine. I respect that they have these obligations...just don't give me your fantasy that goes against reality. There's no need to hold me back.

#144165 by Piss Finger
Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:26 am
All great points guys... never thought this would be such a hot topic! Glad to know I'm not alone in my frustrations... 8)

#144326 by K Jack
Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:35 pm
I came to this town 30 years ago as a full-time musician and things weren't really that bad...wouldn't want to do that now, though....

Frankly, I've found this town to be a rather difficult quality people who possess a few of what I consider essential characteristics: (JMHO)

a) great musical talent AND

b) not already working with another project, thus not enough time or resources to commit to another project.

Yes, it is difficult to find quality people. I have some friends that are absolutely number one in talent and personality. Unfortunately, they're still working in the groups they were in when I met them. Then, of course, there are the issues of:

c) agreeing on what constitutes 'quality' material, especially original material. By that I mean that so much of the original material that people bring to the table is, well...poor. But it's "their baby", crappy or not. I'd rather do cover material than BAD original, as if simply being 'original' is the Holy Grail of musical creativity.

d) geographical location. Yes, with time being the scarce commodity it is and Denver metro being as large as it is, a 50 minute commute EACH WAY can hinder getting together with people that otherwise might be a good match.

e) personal values that are just plain goofy. Oh man, don't get me started on that one. A, B, and C relate to this. Narrow-mindedness, myopia, or just plain ignorance with regards to having exposure or ability to play in more than just one genre' of music... Musicians often (mistakenly) pride themselves on their ability, yet have a limited musical 'vocabulary' or toolbox with which to draw on... Self-esteem so high that they have a false estimation of their own skills, or judge themselves so subjectively that they stay the same 30 years later..."Yeah, man...I've been playing for 22 years..."....when it's more like 2 years times 11...and I won't even get into the realm of individual political, social, or economic views...which are usually something that can be overlooked if the other attributes are there, but....it can be difficult to work with someone who's world-view is effin' crazy, by any logical analysis.

f) and of course, my own worst failing, not being tolerant of the weaknesses of others when I should be looking in the mirror myself. It's not enough to be talented, have a great musical vocabulary, a great ear, etc. Which reminds me that I have to work on the 'personal skills' on a daily basis. The personality factor has a lot to do with whether a project is worth it from a cost/benefit analysis.

Yes...this town is a tough one to find projects to work with on a long-term basis....

#144330 by Piss Finger
Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:09 am
All excellent points K Jack! There does seem to be a big emphasis on "original" music in this town. I can dig original but like you pointed out, more times than not it's really not happening. On another note, the one thing I really miss about playing with a variety of people is the opportunity to expand my musical skill set by learning from those who are better or different players. I learned so much years ago in Texas by playing with a wide variety of guitar players. Even though I've been playing for over 30 years, I would still love the chance to play with anyone who is better than me. That's how ya learn! :wink:

#144369 by Krul
Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:52 am
That's another thing I don't get. Why is it that so many people tend to shy away because they find the music too challenging? Anybody I've seen who's ever wanted to get something down, will eventually do it...simply because they have the desire. Another thing I don't get are all these guys who won't give people the time of day because they think they're too good. These two opposites are pretty much the norm in CA. The worst and latest trendy epidemic are the flakes. You would not believe how flaky these people are.