This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#14239 by Phamddg60
Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:17 am
Here's a good one. I'm a drummer and have been playing over thirty years. I auditioned for this bass player I met two years ago. He and his wife wanted to start a country/rock band and his wife would be the lead singer.

I was with them for a year and all through the year the bass player/leader of the band kept accusing me of wanting leave the band. No matter how many times I tried to reassure him that I liked them and what I was doing in the band. I even told him that country music wasn't my strong suit but I played like I wrote those country songs. I rehearsed with them waiting for them to find a descent lead guitar player and for them to get some gigs. For a year I waited.

Then we finally did a weekend gig at a VFW, low pay and all. I was then encouraged that we were finally on our way. After that weekend the bassplayer and his wife went on vacation for a week. The rest of the band which by now only consisted of me and the rhythm guitarist waited for the couple to return and tell us when our next rehearsal and gig would be.

A week goes by, then two weeks go by. The guitarist and I started to worry about them. Then the bass player finally contacts us and says that his wife says that what she experienced prior to that gig and during the gig was "a big hassle" and that she didn't want to do it anymore.

The bass player then told us when we could come by and pick up our equipment. Now I've been in many bands that broke up before but what bugged me was after a year of struggle and the constant accusations that I would be leaving the band flat, they just quit. I mean that was a first for me.

I've been fired from bands and had bands evaporate out from under me but wow!!
#14249 by Rockmonnnster
Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:54 am
Musicians are flakes...didn't you know that? But really....it is frustrating when you invest loads of time ...I can't imagine them giving up right after your first gig...barf....but like "Limelight" from Rush..."living in the limelight...the universal dream for those who wish to seem" ...I guess you have to love it...not THINK you love it...who knows what went thru their heads? For sure...It sucks to have your time wasted. Thats what you get for playing country....juuuuust kidding! :mrgreen:
Good luck...I guess the shred of truth in that last statement would be to only play in a band with tunes/styles you love...because you never know when it will end...yeah..existential. I know.

#14250 by Franny
Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:19 am
Hey Rockmonnnster, i like that pic...playing Gibson wearing Fender. 8)

btw Pham, if we were closer i'd take you up on a Funk, Smooth Jazz project.

#14281 by jw123
Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:51 pm
We had a singer go to jail one time. Noone knew what happened so we got a new singer. 6 monthes later at a gig the original guy shows up and picks a fight with the new guy. In the end we went back with the original guy. So yeah musicians are flakes including me.
#14334 by Irminsul
Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:05 pm
Phamddg60 wrote:<snip>

The bass player then told us when we could come by and pick up our equipment. Now I've been in many bands that broke up before but what bugged me was after a year of struggle and the constant accusations that I would be leaving the band flat, they just quit. I mean that was a first for me.

I've been fired from bands and had bands evaporate out from under me but wow!!

What gets me is that the duo didn't even bother to CALL any of you to do you all the service of letting you know they were quitting after that show. This inability to exhibit basic communication skills is just mind boggling.

#14338 by Rockmonnnster
Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:33 am
Unfortunately, I have to rely..at least partially....on lots of other people on a daily basis and find this is a malady becoming increasingly present...no one seems to give a sh*t. Not that I wanna start a bitch rant....People are people. Musicians just seem to be even more useless in general regarding basic consideration... grrrrrrrrr.... :evil:
Hmmmm..maybe next time I'll put on my Gibson shirt while playing my Strat...or maybe the Tele..hmmm :idea:

#14342 by Irminsul
Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:49 am
Rockmonnnster wrote:Unfortunately, I have to rely..at least partially....on lots of other people on a daily basis and find this is a malady becoming increasingly present...no one seems to give a sh*t. Not that I wanna start a bitch rant....People are people. Musicians just seem to be even more useless in general regarding basic consideration... grrrrrrrrr.... :evil:
Hmmmm..maybe next time I'll put on my Gibson shirt while playing my Strat...or maybe the Tele..hmmm :idea:

The art of forming and sustaining the band has been dying. It's one of the bad bits of fallout of the DIY culture. But you know...I have been witnessing a bit of a turnaround, because all these do it yourself people (myself included) have to grapple with performing their pieces at some point. And if you don't want to be a one man show, that means you have to learn to do again what used to be routine decades ago - form a band.

#14362 by RhythmMan
Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:59 pm
Anytime I interview anyone, I always ask them what their specific goals are in music, and I follow up with more questions.
It'a an informal, relaxed atmosphere, and my 'goals-related' questions often spur them to think about their exact, specific goals in music for the very first time.
And, eveything comes out beforehand.
Things like:
> where they want to play
> what types of music they like best
> how often they can practice with me
> how often they will practice on their own. This is EXTREMELY important.
> transportation and location-related issues
> willingness to work with others
> new material vs covers.
> do they want to play songs 'by the book,' or experiment
> what stuff I expect them to play, and what stuff they expect me to play
> recording and music sales
> love of music vs a desire to just be on stage
> other bands they've been in, or are looking to be in
> in a discussion over how a song is played, who'll have the final say
> where do they want to be with their music next year. 5 years?
. . .
and, a lot of other stuff.
Sometimes it's not what one says, but, rather how one says it, that reveals the true answer.
We just talk, it's not an interregation; and it's interesting and relaxed. But I keep the conversation directed towards the stuff above.
This has saved me a tremedous amount of time and aggravation.
The next time you are looking to join a band, or interview someone for your band, start the ball rolling by asking this one question:
"What are your specific goals in music?"