This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#136837 by axcalirazer
Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:51 pm
I cant believe that Rock Music has had no impact whatsoever especially in an era that were going through now, It holds no candle to the sixties.
The american government would have gone into oblivion if anybody really rebelled against the establishment. Im not impressed with any american band nowadays pretending like they are antiestablishment but they kiss up to the very eliets that sign them and control them.

#136839 by philbymon
Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:13 am
The "power" of music was highly overrated, even in the 60's. Whatever "power" it had was killed by disco.

#137231 by fisherman bob
Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:20 am
Music was VERY powerful in the 60's. There was a LOT of things happening in our society that inspired that generation to compose some of the best music ever written. The music in and of itself had no "power" but was a powerful mirror of a revolution ijn society: civil rights and the anti-war movement were hugely inspirational. There's nothing going on right now that could inspire today's musicians like the 60's.

#137232 by fisherman bob
Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:24 am
Disco didn't kill music, but was a reflection of the society. People for nearly two decades gave everything for causes: civil rights and anti-war causes. When those causes were over suddenly people were needing attention to themselves, disco was merely a sociological reflection of people whose identities were lost in a group effort. Suddenly getting all dressed up and dancing under a rotating mirrored ball brought attention to the individual, which people hadn't experienced for nearly two decades. Music is almost always a reflection of sociological needs...

#137284 by Barry Wilson
Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:18 pm
philbymon wrote:The "power" of music was highly overrated, even in the 60's. Whatever "power" it had was killed by disco.

don't know if it was meant to be funny but I sure had a good laugh... disco duck baby
#137299 by axcalirazer
Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:44 pm
philbymon wrote:The "power" of music was highly overrated, even in the 60's. Whatever "power" it had was killed by disco.
It was at comisky park I believe on june 12 1979 that disco died. I thought it was funny, it was a baseball doubleheader game the tigers and the whitesox. At the intermission in between the 2 games rock fans stormed onto the field. blew up records rioted on the field until the riot police came and renoved them. I was a kid then and a big tigers fan. Ill never forget it.

#137301 by axcalirazer
Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:59 pm
fisherman bob wrote:Music was VERY powerful in the 60's. There was a LOT of things happening in our society that inspired that generation to compose some of the best music ever written. The music in and of itself had no "power" but was a powerful mirror of a revolution ijn society: civil rights and the anti-war movement were hugely inspirational. There's nothing going on right now that could inspire today's musicians like the 60's.
Thanks for the responce. Im just getting started on this forum. Theres a lot of differences in todays society than in the 60's. In many ways theres bigger stuff going on today than in the 60's like bailouts and government corruption and to a point the war on terror but theres no draft like how they had in the 60's with vietnam and there was more people killed. I think the 60's bands did somthing good. At least they got somthing done. There music provides a good solid base for anyone who wants to play music. They changed a lot of stuff.

#137880 by philbymon
Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:59 am
They changed the laws, but not the hearts & minds that create war.

Nowadays, we have a media...er...propaganda machine that has taught our youth that war is cool, so we no longer NEED a draft to kill our young'uns & "theirs." Our movies, our children's games, even our politicians' campaigns are teeming with violent rhetoric & bloody views. Is THIS what we worked to achieve?

This in no way resembles the country I knew in the 60's & 70's. We freely give away our freedoms for "the safety of a single child," or whatever other BS message they wanna give us. While we work towards NORML's goals in our gov't's laws, we ignore the chokehold that the insurance industry has on us while we try to find work...or insurance...so having the law changed won't make a damned bit of difference in the long run, cuz we'll be economically enslaved to the point that we cannot be users of anything, not even alcohol or tobacco, unless we're rich enough to bypass all the otherwise necessary crap a person needs to merely survive in this country. All the best hippies became computer programmers & capitalist junkies...& now we're selling our souls to have a global market that in no way is a "free & fair" one.

Everything that was achieved in the 60's was smoke & mirrors in the larger picture..."allowing" women to work has turned into an economic necessity in almost every family, just to have less than our parents, in terms of real property & parental persuasion in the lives of our children, unless you want to count all the useless toys we live with.

BLEAGH! Sorry...I'm in a mood.

The one thing that has endured was the equalization achieved in the fight of our minorities...but now we're all becoming minorities, under the heel of the corporate majority...

#138265 by slanoue
Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:32 am
All art and pop culture is a reflection of society. It doesn't create or change anything going on in life, it just shows it or tells it. People in charge of the world only care about themselves, power, and money. That's pretty much always been the case throughout history, and always will be.

Suzanne

#151324 by Soundsational-Sence
Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:15 am
What about rage against the machine ?