This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#133614 by RhythmMan
Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:10 pm
I spent a couple years doing just instrumentals.
And - we all learn different things on our guitars.
Hey - there may be a lot of guys who do stuff better than you.
But you probably do some stuff better than a lot of them do - and they'd be the first to tell you.
I think you'd be quite surprised . . .
But our # 1 goal in playing music should be to enjoy playing the music.
All else - money, performances, whatever - all else should be after the enjoyment of playing.
So, yeah -
Follow your own path, but keep your eyes open . . . some of the other paths have a pretty nice view.

#133615 by Joewillplay
Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:14 pm
RhythmMan wrote:I spent a couple years doing just instrumentals.
And - we all learn different things on our guitars.
Hey - there may be a lot of guys who do stuff better than you.
But you probably do some stuff better than a lot of them do - and they'd be the first to tell you.
I think you'd be quite surprised . . .
But our # 1 goal in playing music should be to enjoy playing the music.
All else - money, performances, whatever - all else should be after the enjoyment of playing.
So, yeah -
Follow your own path, but keep your eyes open . . . some of the other paths have a pretty nice view.

Agreed.
It's all a bout the music.
Thanks

#135136 by thieves-
Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:29 pm
My name's Kendall, and I just started playing bass. I played guitar badly for a few years (I lacked the attention span to get any good at it, too many strings to keep track of...hence my trying bass), but have found my true love in bass. Ever since I got my Dean Edge, I haven't been able to put it down (save for the few breaks I take when my neck and arms cramp up, haha). I'm already far better than I ever was on guitar. True, I don't know much and am still pretty nub at it, but I'm getting better and better.

#135153 by philbymon
Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:32 pm
thieves, have you considered the balalaika? They only have THREE strings! LOL

Welcome to the forum. I, too, play bass...sorta. It's much fun, indeed.

#135169 by thieves-
Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:09 am
I apologize in advance for putting things in the wrong places...I pretty much stay baked and I'm not always all there :D

#135179 by KradleKap
Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:04 am
Hello all. I'm a songwriter, lyricist from Indiana and since I can never get anyone to sing my tunes I guess that makes me a singer also. I have been doing this since I was a kid when Mom told me to get the hell out the house cause her ears were bleeding. She did love me I promise that and later in life she would call me and ask me when I was coming to play her a song and sing her to sleep. I was no Alan Jackson but somehow she made me feel like a superstar and she was clearly my biggest fan.
I write everything with acoustic guitar and If I need electric, bass or drums well, I just call on folks around the net to collaborate. My main guitarist lives in England, bassist in Canada and a drummer from here in the states. These are guys I have never met but our music is just as real as any bands could be. Every song I have starts out with my acoustic track and lyrics I have written. Nothing I do is professional meaning, no pro equipment and/or studio time although some tunes sound better than others, I do the best I can. I have recently started writing for a local band and I'm very excited about it, which brings me to my point. I will write for others because I love doing it. I ask for nothing in return but credit that I did write the tune. Please hit me up for a collab or just advice on writing. Lyrics, chord progressions or a mixture of both, doesn't matter. Take care all and happy writing!!! KK
#135299 by The Bicycling Guitarist
Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:07 am
Hello. Since the early 1980s I have ridden tens of thousands of miles "no hands" on a vintage Schwinn ten-speed bicycle while simultaneously playing a Fender Stratocaster guitar. I've written hundreds of original songs. Most have never been recorded at all. A few dozen (mostly older ones) have optional free mp3 downloads available from the web site of The Bicycling Guitarist (http://www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/).

I badly need to be recorded (as opposed to being recorded badly) because after more than 30 years being a musician I am currently playing guitar and especially singing much better than ever before in my life. I have several dozen new songs.

I am open to working with other musicians long distance to build songs track by track. I have Audacity software on my notebook computer and can plug my guitar directly into the computer, but don't have a microphone to record vocal tracks yet.
#135761 by KatCraig
Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:49 am
Hey everyone! I just joined today, wanted to see who was on there, and see if there`s any other folks in my area that might be interested in jamming. I`m a 29 year old singer from Brooklyn, NY, I mainly record songs at home and put up a few videos on youtube, but I really want to get out there and perform more. Are there any classified type of ads on here? Everytime I try to respond to an ad on Craigslist I never get an answer or they`re always looking for someone younger than 25! I didn`t know that 29 was considered old :). Anyway, I`m glad I found this forum and site!

http://www.youtube.com/user/KatCraigMusic
#135763 by Mike Nobody
Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:02 am
KatCraig wrote:Hey everyone! I just joined today, wanted to see who was on there, and see if there`s any other folks in my area that might be interested in jamming. I`m a 29 year old singer from Brooklyn, NY, I mainly record songs at home and put up a few videos on youtube, but I really want to get out there and perform more. Are there any classified type of ads on here? Everytime I try to respond to an ad on Craigslist I never get an answer or they`re always looking for someone younger than 25! I didn`t know that 29 was considered old :). Anyway, I`m glad I found this forum and site!

http://www.youtube.com/user/KatCraigMusic

Hi Kat,

Liked your version of Cry Me A River. Old favorite.

This site is set up like your own personal resume'/portfolio. You can search for folks nearby in whatever category and they can search for you. You can get email updates when new people have signed on near you. Functions are a little limited for free users, but still useful. It's advisable to include some contact info on your profile. Free users cannot use the contact button to reach you.

#135770 by KatCraig
Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:18 am
Hey Mike,
Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated.
I'll add some contact info to my profile, thanks for the tip.
I guess I have to learn my way around here a bit. Thanks again!

#135786 by RhythmMan
Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:23 am
Welcome, KatCraig.
If you were closer, I'd offer you a position with us . . .

#135910 by KatCraig
Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:31 pm
RhythmMan wrote:Welcome, KatCraig.
If you were closer, I'd offer you a position with us . . .

That would be cool! Thanks anyway though. I`m brousing through people now, and they all want alternative rockers. Hm

#136004 by RhythmMan
Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:35 am
We do light rock - about 6-7 songs. The rest of the songs go from pop to folk to funk to blues to jazz . . .
Find someone who does what YOU want to do . . .

#136053 by dizzizz
Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:21 am
RhythmMan wrote:We do light rock - about 6-7 songs. The rest of the songs go from pop to folk to funk to blues to jazz . . .
Find someone who does what YOU want to do . . .

But be willing to compromise a bit. If you're only willing to do Jazz-influenced postblues crunkpop, you're probably out of luck.

Look for similarities. Differences in styles can make the entire bad better.

#136751 by Thomas Campbell
Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:44 am
Hey, folks! New guy here. Lead/rhythm guitarist interested in band/project for originals in the Zep-Floyd-ish genre.