This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

who's your favorite bassist?

31%
N/A
31%
15%
8%
15%

#129415 by Shapeshifter
Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:36 pm
I think Les is amazing...and innovative. That being said, his style never did much for me. Just my preference, though. I don't mean to take anything away from him.
It's the same with Jaco. He was great, no doubt about it. Unfortunately, long before I ever had a chance to hear him play, I was reading articles about him. People were calling him the "Hendrix of bass"...I don't see it. I think Geddy Lee is 1000x more innovative than Jaco ever was.

p.s.: It was Steve Harris (Iron Maiden). Steve was a bass pioneer, IMO.

#129426 by philbymon
Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:55 pm
You need top check out Jaco's work with Joni Mitchel, Joe. He really was quite good.

#129464 by AirViking
Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:01 am
I voted for Cliff because his style inspired mine.
But Victor Wooten Wins.

#129501 by GormanBechard
Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:10 am
Since I can't resist a good list (and punks aren't really represented):

Mike Watt of the Minutemen
Bruce Thomas of Elvis Costello and the Attractions
Greg Norton of Husker Du
Matt Gentling of Archers of Loaf
John Stirratt of Wilco

Hottest bass player:
Laura Ballance of Superchunk (sexiest arms you will ever see)

#129538 by philbymon
Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:21 pm
GR, you're the first "arm-man" I ever met...or even HEARD of!

:lol:

#129546 by GormanBechard
Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:31 pm
philbymon wrote:GR, you're the first "arm-man" I ever met...or even HEARD of!

:lol:

You see Laura's arms just squeezing the neck of that Fender bass, jumping up and down to their song "Slack MotherF***er"...what can I say...I was in love!

:)

Funny thing, in doing the Mats doc I met a bunch of musicians who loved Superchunk, and right away Laura comes up and immediately "those arms!"

#129726 by Black57
Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:40 pm
Avishai Cohen

#129811 by Prevost82
Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Peter August ... my first call ... for a bass player

#135117 by thieves-
Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:16 pm
My favourite bassist, for sheer awesomeness, is Wojtek Pilichowski. But as for the bassist who made me want to play bass, Colin Edwin from Porcupine Tree.

#135167 by Scratchy
Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:41 am
jw123 wrote:I look at this thread and for me its any bassist that just breathes life into the music hes playing, doesnt matter what his or her name is. How can there be one definitive bassist or any one definitive player on any instrument for that matter?

These polls people put up just crack me up, cause its just each of us who have an opinion I could probably throw down 25 bassist that at one time or another influenced me on bass, which I played for about 5 yrs in my youth. At that time I would say Entwhistle, Larry Grahm, Gene Simmons, Tom Hamilton, and I think his name was James Jamerson from Motown fame. But now I couldnt even begin to start a list. Of the more modern bassist I would say FLea and Claypool, of course then theres Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, and on and on and on ...............................

I think the point was to find out who YOUR favorite bass player is, not to Rate bass players.......Jaco is on top of my long list, which includes unknowns.

#135171 by BassBastard
Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:17 am
Victor Wooten should be there
Stanley Clark
Bootsy Collins
Geezer Butler
Sting

and

JACO PASTORIUS

#135217 by Dewy
Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:36 pm
Victor Wooten should be there
Stanley Clark
Bootsy Collins
Geezer Butler
Sting

and

JACO PASTORIUS

+1
Also Jim Fielder of Blood Sweat & Tears was a phenomenal jazz-rock bassist.
John Paul Jones is also near the top of any list including Bass/Keys/Mandolin/bass pedals.

#135219 by philbymon
Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:41 pm
Hey Dewy - howzabout Mike Rutherford's work on them pedals (NOT the drum ones, the keyboard bass pedals!), while he played guitar?

Ppl that play two instruments at once really do impress me, especially when they're using such different skill sets!

#135224 by Dewy
Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:51 pm
I never made the connection between Mike & the Mechanics and Genesis until now, thank you Phil!

Always been a fan of both bands, but was not aware of the extensive use of Pedal Bass and double neck guitar work behind it. I always just assumed the Keyboard player was doing all of that "Extra" stuff!

#136809 by Thomas Campbell
Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:41 pm
Hayden King wrote:Cris Squire

*ding ding!* We have a winner!