This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#114935 by isocialeyes
Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:45 pm
1. You need material in the first place
2. You need to know how to get your material 'out there'
3. Once your material is out there, you need to listen to your feedback
4. Do it all over again and keep up with demand

iSocialEyes are offering all of the above.

www.isocialeyes.co.uk are currently putting together the following:

Online Radio Station for their social networking site
The production house is putting together a movie and a television series
The Theatre Company are putting together a Theatre production that will be heading to the World's Largest Arts Festival.

What is in it for you? Well head yourself over to:

www.isocialeyes.co.uk

and select the 'Features' tab where more information will be.

In brief, iSocialEyes are working on these production and offering Musicians the opportunity to have their material played on their:

Online Radio Station
TV Series and Movie (Theme Music)
World's Largest Arts Festival - You will be able to play live at a festival that attracts 400,000 people plus have your material on sale if you wish.

If you are looking at exposure and to increase your following or simply looking for brand recognition, get yourself over to www.isocialeyes.co.uk where you will be able to get more information.

#133437 by BonhamCollins
Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:23 pm
You can also be a touring musician. I like this video interview with a rock drummer about having a career as a musician. Here's a link:
musician career

#133612 by RhythmMan
Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:56 pm
" . . .
1. You need material in the first place
2. You need to know how to get your material 'out there' "
. . .

You forgot a pretty important requirement:
You need "No-Excuse Recordings of your material."

#133626 by philbymon
Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:44 pm
...& a healthy TON o' luck!

#133685 by fisherman bob
Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:55 am
philbymon wrote:...& a healthy TON o' luck!
Or you need to know the right people. Or you need some kind of gimmick if your music sucks...

#133690 by gbheil
Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:32 am
Left out balls to the wall intestinal fortitude. :twisted:
#146036 by presskitjunky
Wed May 04, 2011 11:49 pm

One thing that bands lack in is having the right press kit. Bands lack the knowledge in what is required from the music industry, and how to properly submit in a press kit. A band has less than 10 seconds to grab the readers attention. Sometimes it's even 5 seconds to even capture the attention. If they don't, then in the trash goes your press kit, and basically all of that money, time and effort you spent to have one made and sent.

This is why I launched Press Kit Junky, which offers low cost professional press kits for bands on a budget.

I use to manage a band for 8 years and continue to consult bands so I know and understand the struggles bands face, especially during this time period when the music industry is taking on a new form.

So I invite you to check out Press Kit Junky at www.presskitjunky.com

Danny B.[/img]

#146045 by gbheil
Thu May 05, 2011 1:03 am
A definition of success. :wink:

#146246 by drag57
Sun May 08, 2011 4:02 pm
all of the above plus a really good band,and singer.

#146752 by RaulFranc
Tue May 17, 2011 10:23 pm
You’re going to need a website as well. Selling your talent on Internet is a good beginning and you will get feedbacks from your fans. I’d like to recommend you visit this great tool for musicians: http://www.esongstore.com

#147193 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri May 27, 2011 2:35 pm
Assuming that your definition of success is to have a major hit on radio that pays big royalties, all you need is a modicum of talent and a great producer (which will take $$$) and then a distribution deal on one of few major distributors. That's the fast track.

Or, you could work it from the bottom up with lots of gigging, producing your own music, writing your own songs, putting a band together, booking the shows, marketing, promotion, etc...

If you have the goods and are willing to work hard, then you will eventually be noticed. There aren't really that many talented people who are willing to work consistently at the craft.

My definition of success is paying the bills and feeding the kids. It doesn't take a record company to do that, but you'd better know a lot of venues to play and be ready for lots of traveling. If you can find 3 gigs a year in 17 different markets (cities or population centers) then you can play every weekend. Or find one in 52 cities. Not that hard if you really work at it, but it will take a couple of years to build a network that pays enough to survive.

#147260 by himynameisjonnycap
Mon May 30, 2011 5:48 am
Okay, so check this out.

You gotta be all that, meaning you gotta be able to write from the heart, preform with your all your heart, collectively share a heart as a band, market like a business man, compose yourself like a president, and more importantly than all of those things is don't let it become a task or a job. Keep your music devout and your goals for your own betterment. Don't let it become something you dread!

#151325 by Soundsational-Sence
Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:18 am
You have to know where the Devil hangs out. Like the cross roads and such. :twisted:

#151335 by PaperDog
Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:52 am
yod wrote:Assuming that your definition of success is to have a major hit on radio that pays big royalties, all you need is a modicum of talent and a great producer (which will take $$$) and then a distribution deal on one of few major distributors. That's the fast track.

Or, you could work it from the bottom up with lots of gigging, producing your own music, writing your own songs, putting a band together, booking the shows, marketing, promotion, etc...

If you have the goods and are willing to work hard, then you will eventually be noticed. There aren't really that many talented people who are willing to work consistently at the craft.

My definition of success is paying the bills and feeding the kids. It doesn't take a record company to do that, but you'd better know a lot of venues to play and be ready for lots of traveling. If you can find 3 gigs a year in 17 different markets (cities or population centers) then you can play every weekend. Or find one in 52 cities. Not that hard if you really work at it, but it will take a couple of years to build a network that pays enough to survive.

Hey YOD, I agree... It sounds like you nailed down a reliable path of success, in a way that meets your needs... (Very pragmatic method, to be sure)

I thinks the days of super stardom (for having brilliance and loads of talent) is pretty much over. In fact, the Labels and promoters all realize that they can't wait around for the next "Elvis" to appear, (other wise they starve to death).

The world was gifted at one time with genius/inspirational artists, and the world knew how to nurture and cultivate those artists. I have to believe now, that the real music industry actually died years ago and got replaced with the Loops and Samples industry.

Young Musicians today, wonder why they aren't making the big time, after working so hard on their loops and samples. They don't seem to realize that there are literally millions of people out there trying to accomplish the same glory with their own loops and samples.

It was never that way with the real songwriters. Now 'everybody and their mother is a song writer"... The craft is totally lost on most of them. But the labels and promoters push them through the grinder anyway, cause they will go broke otherwise. Either way, they clog up the system and are killing the prospects for any remaining real talents to emerge.

There is a parallel that can be drawn between musical stardom and the US presidency... Both roles are avoided today by the genuinely skilled and brilliant players... Both realize that the pain levied on them in those roles, now outweighs the benefits. The common spectators are so demanding, that one would have to be born as a circus freak , with mad skills to rival a mutant to pull of anything close to a successful page in history. Those rare and gifted individuals choose instead, to take refuge in the safety of some banal niche ...where they are actually better off for it.

Super-stardom has got to be the most daunting aspiration of the 21st century.

#151361 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:19 pm
Success is a combination of many multiple factors that all have to align at the same time.

The thing that killed the development of good music and/or artists is the average consumer who thinks music is an entitlement not to be paid for. Without money, there will be no investment or development of new music/artists. You'll get the poor-man versions instead.

Actually I think people are more talented today than they were yesterday. However, they have no depth nor experience because of the glut of people/bands who are all vying for the same "job". Seriously....a great producer can make ANYONE a star (and I do mean anyone). The reverse is also mostly true, a great artist without a great production will get lost in the shuffle and that is where most of the good bands are....lost in the shuffle. They will have to stick it out longer in today's climate to rise above the noise.

But none of that has anything to do with whether you're working or not. To do that you simply give the audience what it wants, and they will pay you for it. The more you can figure out how to "please" the audience, the more you will make. And of course living in a city that has venues (or constantly traveling) will increase your chances of working.

If someone isn't willing to do that...there is always kareoke.