This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#130891 by RhythmMan
Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:42 pm
You may only join ONE performing rights organization, no matter who it is.
I joined BMI, and I'm happy.
BMI
ASCAP
SECAP

#130931 by fisherman bob
Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:35 am
I've also been considering joining. You're allowed to join one at a time for obvious reasons. I have visited the respective websites. They all have their good points. BMI website seems very professional to me. It's your choice...
#131084 by 90 dB
Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:20 pm
maddadkeith wrote:I almost joined BMI tonight, but their contract restricted me from joining any other musician rights organization. I thought I'd better do more research to figure out who I should be joining. I write songs, and hope to begin performing again someday. I did that in a previous lifetime, like about 45 years ago. But, garage bands didn't worry so much about this stuff back then. Now, I want to protect my copyright, and be protected when I use someone's work.

What org's are out there besides ASCAP and BMI? What points do I need to consider before joining? And, am I being way-to-premature by worrying about legal stuff already?

Yes, you are being premature. When you have product ready to pitch to publishers or producers, or to record to sell yourself, then you might want to join one of the PROs. And yes, there are big differences between the PROs. As for protection for your songs, they are protected by your copyright and your lawyer, not a PRO.