This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Post your ideas and questions to the BandMix Staff.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#12040 by tukrhill
Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:17 pm
You would probably have alot more traffic and forum activity if Non paying members could send and receive messages. They would hang out longer. I belong to a couple different band sites and They only make you pay if you want to upload a certain amount of songs. Many people get turned away at the thought of paying $9.00 just to be able to send a message. I almost did but I like this site.
Just my opinion. Great work guys. :wink:

#12473 by ThirdShiftPsycho
Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:51 pm
The local site here, wichitabandscene.com, allows you to list your band for free. You can put pics, songs, list when you're playing, etc., I believe all for free. The only thing I've ever been charged for on there is to place an ad. They don't charge you for the "privelege" of contacting other members. Not to mention the fact that I've gotten several responses to adds I've placed there, yet not a single response to my bandmix ad. I rarely even bother checking here anymore. I guess that's the difference in someone building a site to promote music and assist musicians in connecting with each other, and someone just trying to make a buck.

#12676 by tukrhill
Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:25 pm
Well said!! There's alot of adds for players on here that are in our area. Cool, so you try to contact them... Nope you have to register first.. Ok no prob, you go through the process and try to contact them again.. Nope, Now you have to pay to contact someone on here..... WTF? We feel like it was a waste of money! Not 1 response from anybody! Why? Because they found out they had to pay to contact someone so they never come back.
We will not pay money to this site again!
We also can't believe the admin or mods hadn't commented on this thread.... Maybe they don't come here either....Very dissapointed!

#12680 by muzickmage
Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:35 pm
I agree ... I have been complaining now for about a month about this "pay for email" thing ... it doesn't seem to help. At best ... I get flack from the members defending bandmix lol. But at least they have to post to yell at me ... so my complaining is at least creating postings lol.

Damn ... i'm now bickering with irminsul just for the hell of it just to wake people the hell up and get them to post. I mean c'mon .... this place is dying. I hate complaining ... but at least its creating activity in this palce.

As for ad postings ... there isn't much sense in posting an ad here anymore ... there isn't anyone here other than the 50 or so regulars to respond anyway. I have no idea where management is .... but I hope they show up and make some changes real quick.

#12819 by JJW III
Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:06 am
Agreed. I payed the 9.95 for one month for the ablilty to contact one guy who never got back to me. I think out of like 20 people I contacted 2 responded and nothing worked out. Totally useles.

If anything this site has proven what I pretty much knew and that is that the majority of "musicians" are dilusional, irresponsible dreamers.

#12827 by Brute
Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:53 am
Personally, I think we're seeing the beginning of the end here. I recognize the signs. It reminds me of the story I heard while growing up about my uncle's liberation from a German POW camp. One morning they woke up and all the Germans were gone. While they were all standing around wondering what was going on, the Soviets showed up and crashed a tank through the front gate.
I think the Bandmix mods know the Russians are coming.

#12837 by RhythmMan
Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:51 pm
Wegman, you said:
" . . . the majority of "musicians" are dilusional, irresponsible dreamers.."
I agree.
Everyone wants to be THE "star."
Everyone wants to "own" a band.
Everyone wants the world to beat a path to their door.
> Hardly anyone thinks that the common courtesy of a reply is necessary.
> Hardly anyone realizes that each person they respond to can become part of their own network.
> Hardly anyone even knows what a network IS
> Hardly anyone would bother to refer others, in a network, anyway.
> Hardly anyone realizes that their reputaion travels further than they know, and it affects their success.
> Hardly anyone has any specific goals
> Hardly anyone is willing to meet a musician half-way
> Hardly anyone practices enough
> Hardly anyone has at least half a dozen really good songs.
> Hardly anyone studies outside of their comfort zone.
> Hardly anyone cares half as much about music as they should.
- and, so, my friend:
- Hardly anyone is worth working with you in the first place. Maybe 1 person in 10 is worth having any real musician investing the time to work with. Hey, why invest time with someone who won't last 2 weeks?
Many of them might be worthy of your friendship - that's up to you & them . . .
But; as people: they need to have the same value-system as you.; and everyone's different . . .
And, as musicians: they should have the same musical likes, the same amount of determination, the same general ability developement, live within a resonable distance . . . and, on top of all of that: they need to be likable . . .
I don't know how many people who express interest in music are actually aware of all of this.
And - there's quite a bit I left unsaid (such as partying habits, girlfiends, other commitments, etc., etc.) . . .

#12846 by Irminsul
Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:52 pm
Wegman wrote:Agreed. If anything this site has proven what I pretty much knew and that is that the majority of "musicians" are dilusional, irresponsible dreamers.

With all due respect, that's quite a leap of judgement. While I've certainly met a goodly number of musicians who fit your less than flattering description, I have also known as many who are gifted and ambitious. The musicians' experience is as deep and varied (perhaps moreso) as that of any other group or practice, so I wouldn't be so quick to label the "majority" of them.

#12848 by JJW III
Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:23 am
Irminsul wrote:
Wegman wrote:Agreed. If anything this site has proven what I pretty much knew and that is that the majority of "musicians" are dilusional, irresponsible dreamers.

With all due respect, that's quite a leap of judgement. While I've certainly met a goodly number of musicians who fit your less than flattering description, I have also known as many who are gifted and ambitious. The musicians' experience is as deep and varied (perhaps moreso) as that of any other group or practice, so I wouldn't be so quick to label the "majority" of them.

You disagree with me, imagine that. :D

Welll Irminsul you have better luck then I. Yes I have met and played with some very gifted and serious people, but they are far and few in between. Very far and few in between. You know the top two contacts I have had in the year or so I have been on Bandmix? One was from a producer, a real producer not some wanna be. Next was just recently by a band that has a CD coming out and says they have major label backing. Both of these contacts respond to e-mails, have a plan, and do what they say. Now, you know how many people I have contacted to get maybe 3 to give me the courtesy of a response, and not just on this board but several others? Thus from this research, I draw my conclusion. And IMO it is a very accurate conclusion.

Can we agree on this. Do you think it's a good idea that if you are out here trying to find band members you should have some content up for people to check out? I mean come on man, I have seen you jump on people for that, and the vast majority don't. Doesn't that seem like a fundamental factor if you are serious and dedicated musician?

RhythmMan,

Yes, excellent. All the points you laid out are exactly what I mean.

#12867 by RhythmMan
Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:25 pm
Yeah, I took careful note of the fact that when you wrote the phrase:
" . . . the majority of "musicians" are dilusional, irresponsible dreamers."
- that you put the word "musicians" in quotes.
I took this as a bit of gentle sarcasm towards all those people who THINK they're musicians . . .
Hey, I guess we all know that there are "musicians," and then there are MUSICIANS.
I did not think you were aiming the statement towards real musicians, directly.
My success ratio with finding MUSICIANS is about 1 out of 12.
How about you guys?

#12873 by JJW III
Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:53 pm
RhythmMan_BluesRockFolk wrote:Yeah, I took careful note of the fact that when you wrote the phrase:
I took this as a bit of gentle sarcasm towards all those people who THINK they're musicians . . .
Hey, I guess we all know that there are "musicians," and then there are MUSICIANS.
How about you guys?

You got it. That is exactly what I was saying.

I am at about 65/1

#12877 by Irminsul
Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:12 pm
Wegman wrote:Can we agree on this. Do you think it's a good idea that if you are out here trying to find band members you should have some content up for people to check out? I mean come on man, I have seen you jump on people for that, and the vast majority don't. Doesn't that seem like a fundamental factor if you are serious and dedicated musician?.

Well hell yes - I think I was one of the first to raise a stink about that here. But the caveat I am raising is that it's probably not the most accurate way to determine generalities of working musicians just from a study sample at Bandmix.

#12884 by JJW III
Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:38 am
Irminsul,

RhythmMan_BluesRockFolk wrote:Yeah, I took careful note of the fact that when you wrote the phrase:
How about you guys?

Rhythman got it.

#12897 by Greeniemagic
Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:24 am
Apparently that is BAD business practice to upload any of your music for people to listen to!!!

I can see muzickmage is only trying to protect musicians interests but it makes life easier just listening to a sample of what people can do on here and other muso search sites rather than sending CD's off to every musician that contacts you. Don't know, what do you guys think??

#12900 by tukrhill
Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:45 pm
muzickmage wrote: I have no idea where management is .... but I hope they show up and make some changes real quick.

LOL

The first change needed is to stop making people pay to contact people!!
With that change alone there would be more traffic here.
I also agree about the dead beats who don't reply BUT, do they even come back to this site after creating a profile and finding out they have to pay to contact? Don't think so. I know of 4 people who contacted us through our myspace page who has seen us here. They will not pay to contact!
That's really the only complaint I have about this site. I like the layout and everybody seems cool. 8)

I also agree that posting your stuff so others can hear is a good thing. Makes things alot easier when trying to find "THAT" person to fill a spot.
Of course you still really can't tell untill you all get together and see if there's chemistry but it will get you in the ballpark. Ya know?