This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#125312 by RhythmMan
Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:09 pm
Here's the state of my music, currently.
Or - I need to say the state of OUR music, as I am only one member of a group of 5 people, working together.
Well, as a band, we've been re-organizing this summer, so, not counting Farmers Markets and local talent expos, we’ve only made one full-band appearance this year (at the ‘Saybrook Summer Stroll’).
We tried out 2 new lead singers (both with very nice voices), but neither of them were available full-time . . .
Now we have 2 other ladies singing with us: Sue and Melissa. And they had to lean all original songs to sing.
We agree that these songs are not easy to learn. A lot of the changes are unusual chords, which are often counterintuitive . . .
And also now, our bassist has gone to part-time. Joe Cavanagh has spent considerable time learning some quite-involved bass patterns, and his expertise is often missed . . . .
Joe is a good friend, but he has other commitments. He said he’d rehearse and perform with us until such time as I’m able to find a replacement bass-player.
Well, then . . .
That makes me the only musician performing in many of the songs. It's a lot of pressure on me, so I’m hoping that another bassman of sufficient ability steps forward soon . . .
Without the bass with us (as often), - we're fast-turning into a band of vocal harmonies.
But - Oh! - what harmonies!
Many of our songs have 4 and 5 part harmonies, and they sound simply DELICIOUS . . .
Melissa Spencer brings the songs to life with her intuitively sultry and soulful lead vocals.
Sue Daniels draws out different emotions from the songs with the sweet harmonies she weaves.
Chris Lennox adds his deep rich (and often playful) voice to many of the songs. And he also lends his harmonica talents to several of the songs.
I sing along on several of the songs, although my primary attention must always focus on my guitar-playing . . .
So - yeah, we’re re-organizing . . .
But I am proud of each and every member of the group.

#125334 by Hayden King
Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 pm
Capt. Scott wrote:
Hayden King wrote:
Capt. Scott wrote:Don't you mean "epiphany"?

uh, I think it's "you phony"

Oh, that made me laugh so hard .. well..I laughed so hard that wasn't funny..

and that's what makes it funny *(;>)-~

#125370 by rich lovett
Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:29 pm
Is there anyone who needs a serious singer, who can do much more than sing. Who are not afraid of change, and want to expand to a new era. Peace

#125376 by jimmydanger
Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:38 pm
Dude. WTF is up with you voicing over "Black Dog"? That is not going to attract anyone. And you do realize that song is about a black prostitute right? Does that subject matter fit well with your religious material? And then you say you sing with Bryan Adams? WTF?

#125388 by Chaeya
Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:28 pm
Forgive him, Jimmy, he knows not what he sings.

Chaeya

#125389 by jimmydanger
Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:48 pm
Just trying to give him a clue. Nothing wrong with being a Christian rocker just be up front about it like George.

#125463 by Starfish Scott
Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:43 pm
oooohhh hmmmm oooohh, thought provoking to be sure...

#125467 by RhythmMan
Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:11 pm
. . . anyone else at a musical crossroads?
. . . anything been changing in the way anyone is 'doing' their music?

#125473 by Hayden King
Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:25 pm
uh, nope. and uh, nope.

#125903 by RhythmMan
Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:30 pm
Has anyone changed styles in the last 5 - 10 years?

#125910 by Hayden King
Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:53 pm
RhythmMan wrote:Has anyone changed styles in the last 5 - 10 years?

yup... I prefer constant change!

#125919 by bundydude
Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:00 pm
Ummm...maybe, not sure(?). I don't think I am, but on the other hand...who knows? I'm almost 43 and have been playing/writing since I was a kid. Have been in numerous local area bands, all which have crumbled due to personal issues, mine and the other members. Several years ago I decided to write my own music, for a concept ep/cd, in the progressive/power metal vein. I intend on writing/recording and putting the entire thing together myself. Well, not true...I will be enlisting the help of a couple of friends for certain aspects. But for the most part I'm doing it myself and honestly, thats the only way it'll ever get done. At a crossroads? No! Though, I'm not getting any younger.

#125923 by gbheil
Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:30 pm
jimmydanger wrote:Just trying to give him a clue. Nothing wrong with being a Christian rocker just be up front about it like George.

Gee thanks Jimmy.
I appreciate the props brother, especially knowing we have some "differences of opinion". :wink:

Being a newb I live at the crossroads. Some days it feels more like the middle of interstate. :shock:

The last song we composed occurred totally spontaneously.
After we played it the first time our bassist quipped " we finally found our sound " I replied yeah another one. LOL

What is life without crossroads ... dull as hell.

#125931 by Shapeshifter
Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:35 am
All I know is that I went down to the crossroads, got down on my knees, and...oh, nevermind.

#125934 by RhythmMan
Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:44 am
I started in Blues (35 years ago), went to originals, then did Folk and rock.
After that it was Ozzie and Deep Purple for a few years, and then back to originals.
Then for several years I did misc cover songs and wroy=te a dozen songs or two . . .
. . . then I did punk rock for a year; - even some Madonna.
I played a few styles of this 'n that for about another 2 years, and got sick of it all, and quit playing for 10 years. I'd worn out half a dozen guitars . . .
About 5-6 years ago, I got back into it, doing covers.
But everybody I played with said they'd much rather play the songs I wrote, which surprised the hell out of me . . .
Ever since then, it's been all originals, all ther way . . .