This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#125204 by Dan72
Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:05 pm
Deleted
Last edited by Dan72 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

#125205 by jimmydanger
Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:17 pm
Of course you're not alone, however I have no one like that in my band. You must accept some responsibility for the situation; either fire him or leave. You cannot expect him to change so you must be the agent of change. Good luck.

#125207 by philbymon
Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:06 pm
I always wanted to be that guy, but I fail miserably at it.

#125209 by jimmydanger
Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:21 pm
Don't short yourself Phil I'm sure you can be that guy easily!

#125212 by Chaeya
Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:11 pm
Yeah, my hubs had to lose their bass player because he drank to much, would show up to gigs in a foul mood kicking people's stuff out of the way. Then as the night would go on, he'd get drunker and his jokes to the audience would get more and more off-color and talking down to the staff like their job is to check and make sure his glass is always full.

Men are funny, they won't say anything. They sneaked him out of the band, changed the name and then got another bass player because they didn't want to hurt his feelings.

Me, I'm the one that goes, "dude, you having some problems? Get it together or you can find another band." I'd do the Prince's Purple Rain club owner spiel. "Life my ass, motherfucka, this is a biness!"

WTH! I don't have time for people and their bullshit, I've got my own problems, know?

Chaeya

Chaeya

#125215 by Dan72
Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:47 pm
Deleted
Last edited by Dan72 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#125217 by Prevost82
Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:59 pm
I'd talk to the drummer friend and then FIRE the other guys ass ...

#125223 by Chaeya
Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:43 pm
Dan72 wrote:Yeah the drummer and I are best friends and this guy is an older friend of ours who could make or break us, but I don't want to piss off the drummer.Mind you this is about the 15th time this has happened to us in 20 years so you think it wouldn't.
We just found our new bass player through this site and now this is going on. It doesn't look too professional.

Well, if he isn't too web savvy, then just do the sneaky downlow method, tell him you're breaking up the band, change your name, get a new website, and start booking gigs under the new name. You can tell the truth to the club owners, they don't care as long as your people know.

It's never easy, is it? I'm sorry because I do understand your frustration.

Chaeya

#125229 by Stranger
Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:29 pm
My ex bass player was my best friend and he had the worst pot habit I've ever seen. He had to smoke 3 giant bowls every morning just to get up.
He was wonderfully supportive of my music and his support egged me on to become prolific in my songwriting.

But he became an absolute beast at our shows. He'd go out in the parking lot before the show and smoke 5 bowls of chronic weed and come in and mix the sound so it sounded like mud, and then turn his bass to 11, then he'd dance like a fool...Every show became a battle.

My wife would yell at me to get rid of him but how do you get rid of your best friend?
Finally it all came to a head and I said enough.

Shows are a breeze but I still miss him.

#125234 by philbymon
Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:46 pm
I watch ppl carefuly when I'm starting out with them. Do they smoke & drink to excess during practices? If so, chances are that they aren't as committed as I'd like, & they'll undoubtedly do it elsewhere, where it's even less appealing. I see no reason to get to the point that it becomes a professional problem.

When ppl start out with excuses about equipment & such, they aren't ready to go out & play like a pro, & I tell 'em so. "Call me when you're ready," always works for me.

#125248 by gbheil
Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:17 pm
Prevost82 wrote:I'd talk to the drummer friend and then FIRE the other guys ass ...

One of the few times we totally agree . :lol:

Fire the bum ... move on.

#125259 by fisherman bob
Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:23 am
Make certain that from now on there NEVER is one guy...

#125297 by Chaeya
Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:42 pm
I already told hubs, ain't gonna happen in my band. We already check people out as far as drinking and drugs. I also prefer to go see them play on someone else's gig just to see how they behave with them.

I just don't have time for it any more. There are too many good musicians out there to waste time with one butthead.

Chaeya

#125298 by Starfish Scott
Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:36 pm
Stranger wrote:My ex bass player was my best friend and he had the worst pot habit I've ever seen. He had to smoke 3 giant bowls every morning just to get up.
He was wonderfully supportive of my music and his support egged me on to become prolific in my songwriting.

But he became an absolute beast at our shows. He'd go out in the parking lot before the show and smoke 5 bowls of chronic weed and come in and mix the sound so it sounded like mud, and then turn his bass to 11, then he'd dance like a fool...Every show became a battle.

My wife would yell at me to get rid of him but how do you get rid of your best friend?
Finally it all came to a head and I said enough.

Shows are a breeze but I still miss him.

WOW, I never saw or heard of anyone that involved with it and functional.

I don't even understand how people can play dexterously and still use marijuana? Let alone getting stoned to the point of incomprehension and then dancing while playing the material?

Uggghhh, that even makes me uncomfortable.