This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Sell your guitars here.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#99844 by Jonny Deth
Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:00 pm
I've Ebayed a handful of excess gear but anymore, they've made it impossible to get a decent price since their fees and paypals fees pull $20 out of a $140 sale that also eats a loss due to the cost of shipping.

Then considering the quality of off brand gear, specifically guitars and basses, being incredibly high and rivaling that of a big name brand costing genuinely 5 times as much, I can't seem to dump anything off anymore even on Ebay cept maybe half the time.

Been sitting on a high end amp and a dozen no namer guitars in superb condition and highly modified/upgraded but selling them off at a reasonable price, and with a good investment loss I might add, has proven incredibly difficult.

So how the hell does everyone else do it but me! :roll:

#99982 by Starfish Scott
Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:22 pm
craigslist

#100003 by gbheil
Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm
Ebay may possibly have been a good idea until a whole bunch of jokers too lazy to have a real job decided they would get rich selling junk from china.
I've got some gear I could sell too. But I'm not going to take a beating on them just to move them so I'll just keep it for now.

#100037 by Jonny Deth
Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:46 pm
sanshouheil wrote:Ebay may possibly have been a good idea until a whole bunch of jokers too lazy to have a real job decided they would get rich selling junk from china.
I've got some gear I could sell too. But I'm not going to take a beating on them just to move them so I'll just keep it for now.

Don't forget the greed of Ebay/paypal ruining it for your common citizen. Unless you own a business account and are selling things hand over fist, the fees KILL your sale. I sold a guitar I seriously hotrodded to perfection with flawless work for $150 which should of had me breaking even minus the cost of my labor.

Then Paypal says I can't accept payment from the buyer's specific type of payment source without "Upgrading" my account.
With this upgrade, they now charge a fee for each payment I receive because they are "protecting" me. So there's another $5 loss! Now anytime I sell something, they charge this fee PERIOD.

I can live with buying all the crap so cheap from asia, I get a lot of computer cables, work lights, tools etc. for 1/4 the cost of buying here.
What I can't live with is the loss of $25 when I sell something for $150 that's worth twice that.

#100052 by Starfish Scott
Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:45 pm
Jonny,

Contact your possible sales via email, but do the deal off of eBay.

I buy stuff all the time from eBay but won't use paypal.

(we got beat for 900$ on 2 video cards and only recovered 300$)

Use US POSTAL MONEY ORDER and the phone..

eBay won't let you trade stuff either.

I say F THEM!

#100514 by Jonny Deth
Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:12 am
Capt. Scott wrote:Jonny,

Contact your possible sales via email, but do the deal off of eBay.

I buy stuff all the time from eBay but won't use paypal.

(we got beat for 900$ on 2 video cards and only recovered 300$)

Use US POSTAL MONEY ORDER and the phone..

eBay won't let you trade stuff either.

I say F THEM!

I use Ebay a lot and always use paypal.
I've set it up to run the funds through my VISA DEBT card.
Once they pay you, transfer the cash to your bank account and withdrawal it!
Takes 2-3 days but then you're safe to send the merchandize.

A few times when paypal didn't want to give me the refund on stuff that I never received or, refused delivery on and then had no tracking number to prove I returned it, I filed a dispute with my bank and a couple times, directly through VISA because of their protection services exceeding what the bank would and could do.
Never been beat out of my money yet.

Anyway between Ebay and Paypal fees, I'm using Craig's List first and after 30 days if the item doesn't sell, Ebay it as a last resort!

#101178 by Viper-6
Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:32 pm
Ebay has a bunch of fake Gibson's and other top name guitars also,makes people leery about buying. Craigslist isn't that bad yet.

#101251 by Starfish Scott
Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:53 pm
Depends on where you are using craigslist.

Here in central NJ, craigslist is a pile of old people selling crap that is usually near broken for 300% of what it's worth.

eBay is just plain suck-ola. If you need a pot, a switch or even an Acutronics reverb tank, ok. But if you think you are going to get a deal on a vintage amp in functional condition, guess again.
#103738 by Guitarch1
Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:16 pm
here in Florida musicians are losing their primary jobs (ha ha) and are dumping their stuff.
Look for good deals here.
Other parts of the country doing better can get higher bucks for gear.

#103791 by Starfish Scott
Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:05 pm
Fundamental to this game.

If you buy a guitar for 1K, say.

Don't think you will be getting 900$ for that guitar.

GET OFF THE CRACK PIPE!

USED IS USED, you want to buy new? Ok then.

Just don't sh*t and call it mud because it still feels, smells, tastes and looks like what it is.

Too many thieves around here already!

#119917 by Qingyunmusic
Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:39 am
Qingyun Musical Instrument Co., Ltd. electric, acoustic guitar and bass manufacturer.

#119933 by Starfish Scott
Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:41 pm
LMAO Notice right after I said the word THIEVES..

#119960 by theROCKER1111
Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:04 pm
Capt. Scott wrote:LMAO Notice right after I said the word THIEVES..
RIGHT!!!!!!!!! :lol:

#123294 by Patrick Grant
Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:42 pm
I use the different sites for different things, if its a high end item, craigslist. A good effect pedal or other small easily mailed item ? ebay. Trick to ebay is to make sure there's a demand for what your selling. If your selling a 70s script logo MXR bluebox, people will go nuts for sure. A Danelectro or Behringer plastic pedal, it's probably not worth it. There's too many guys selling new ones from Hong Kong and China. The side deal thing works occasionally, you just have to be slick about it. I'm pretty sure ebay would cancel an account if they caught on. As far as buying stuff, its hard to do better than ebay for music equipment, especially if you have the patience for auctions.

#123296 by gbheil
Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:50 pm
Patience ?

That rules me out. :oops: