This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#10048 by IDawg
Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:54 pm
Hello all!
I just had to wrote to say that the Blues is bein' played in Austin. I am one of a few, very few Harp players in the Austin area...the strange thing I have noticed is that most "blues" is played with the following...Lead guitar, Bass and drums....no Harmonica? No keys? What? Ok...well I am trying to remedy this. So anyone in the Austin area that wants to play the blues let me know...give me a shout
[email protected][/b]

#10507 by [email protected]
Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:20 pm
I NEED EVERYONES HELP; I AM A ASPIRING COUNTRY SINGER IN MARYLAND AND I NEED EVERYONE WHO READS THIS TO GO TO WWW.WPOC.COM (A LOCAL RADIO STATION)

THEN CLICK ON "VOTE NATIONAL ANTHEM" THEN CLICK ON MY NAME
KELLEY LARSON

THEN CONTEST ENDS FRIDAY @ 5PM. YESTERDAY I WAS IN FIRST PLACE WITH 32% NOW I AM IN 4TH. I REALLY WANT THIS BAD. SO PLEASE EVERYONE WHO IS A PERFORMER KNOWS THE RUSH YOU GET ON STAGE ESPECIALLY IN FRONT OF 25,000 PEOPLE. AND SOMEONE IMPORTANT MIGHT SEE YOU. PLEASE HELP

PLEASE HELP

MORE OF ME AND MY MUSIC AT MYSPACE.COM/KELLEYELG
#10772 by kinnordaviyd
Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:38 pm
Well I'm not realy that old, ok 43, is that old? I'm a member on a few forums concerning finding members for a band, including www.meetyourband.com. You can view my personal profile at www.meetyourband.com/kinnordaviyd.

Meet Your Band seems to have a lot of musicians that enjoy the Rock, Metal, Core, genres etc. I'm a FOLK MUSICIAN. I enjoy FOLK, CELTIC/IRISH STYLINGS both Traditional and Modern. I play acoustic guitar and I'd like to find an Upright Bassist, a Fiddle Player (Violinist), and a Flutist, in the Detroit Downriver Area.

I'm busy with a family, wife and 3 sons and I work full time, but I'd like to get together maybe once a week with other musicians.

Timothy Foote
Flat Rock, Michigan
[email protected]

#10777 by RhythmMan
Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:23 pm
It's nice to hear that folk music is still alive.
Irish/Scotish music will always be around.
And Celtic music is good stuff.
There was a Celitc Group playing at an event w/ me last week, the "Dinnae Ken's." They were good. It's not a style of music I often hear live, and it was a pleasent experience . . .

#12214 by Brute
Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:17 pm
I can remember back in the 1970's and '80's when a guy could actually make a living at this! There were five and six-piece bands playing five and six nights a week all over the place. The Mothers Against Live Music (MADD) certainly shut down that party! :roll:

#12216 by Irminsul
Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:13 pm
Brute wrote:I can remember back in the 1970's and '80's when a guy could actually make a living at this! There were five and six-piece bands playing five and six nights a week all over the place. The Mothers Against Live Music (MADD) certainly shut down that party! :roll:

Mothers Against Live Music. I love it.

But seriously, you are right. The scene has changed dramatically and in some places, for the worst. But on the bright side, many more things have opened up. The indie music DIY movement has really made it possible for more people than ever to expose their sound to the world at large. I have seen an explosion of music genres just in the last few years, and more are being created all the time. It is true that the days of a band being able to make good money regularly by playing local clubs and bars is almost gone, but there are other venues now that are better. Namely, the festival/special events circuit. Yes it takes more organization and dedication (management in a perfect world) but you make better money, you have much better audiences in general, and you can sell more of your wares (CDs, swag) at your concerts.

All things considered, I am doing much better now than in the "glory days" of 70s AOR rock.

#12223 by Vocals & Bass
Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:35 am
Irminsul wrote:
Brute wrote:I can remember back in the 1970's and '80's when a guy could actually make a living at this! There were five and six-piece bands playing five and six nights a week all over the place. The Mothers Against Live Music (MADD) certainly shut down that party! :roll:

Mothers Against Live Music. I love it.

But seriously, you are right. The scene has changed dramatically and in some places, for the worst. But on the bright side, many more things have opened up. The indie music DIY movement has really made it possible for more people than ever to expose their sound to the world at large. I have seen an explosion of music genres just in the last few years, and more are being created all the time. It is true that the days of a band being able to make good money regularly by playing local clubs and bars is almost gone, but there are other venues now that are better. Namely, the festival/special events circuit. Yes it takes more organization and dedication (management in a perfect world) but you make better money, you have much better audiences in general, and you can sell more of your wares (CDs, swag) at your concerts.

All things considered, I am doing much better now than in the "glory days" of 70s AOR rock.
Irminsul, You never cease to amaze me. As a very talented, All around, Great musician, etc. One of the best, At BandMix-Forum. Great thread Brother!

#12262 by RhythmMan
Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:42 pm
D.S.,
You said " . . . Metallica is now old school and almost nothing seems to get on the airwaves without a bit of hip hop in it. Not that this is a bad thing . . . "
Well, hmmm . . .
I've seen this trend, and I certainly don't think it's a good thing, although I do admire your tactfulness.
I suspect that many musicians think a lot of today's music is a step backwards . . . and, maybe more primitive . . .
That is, 'primitive,' in the sense of rudimentary.
If one is in college, one doesn't want to be forced to sit through grade-school lessons . . .
If you're studying light-refraction indexes between semi-transparent materials, you don't need someone to point at the sun and say, "Look! bright light in sky!"
Aww, I don't mean to be cruel. Those guys are making a lot of dough, and I am not, so - ok, I admit it: I'm not very financially enlightened.
But, it almost seems that metal, rap, and country are the top-3 styles of music, now. That's the new 'cool music, the stuff we're supposed to admire.
I don't know about others, but I'm getting bored of hearing the same-old same-old, repeated endlessly.
re: ". . .There are some cool experiments going on with different instrument combos and musical structures . . ."
Yeah . . .
THIS is what music needs, now, in order to grow. And, it's what we all need, to grow as a culture.
Maybe people like having their familiar musical "security blanket," but . . .
Well, think of it this way. If you were walking in the woods, and you were thirsty, you'd look for water. Would you drink from the stagnent pool, or the fresh stream?
To the TV executives, producers, music-industry 'movers n shakers: Don't force bland music on us.
Find something new and pleasant, and let us hear it, eh?
Ok, I hope I didn't offend anyone, and if I did, let me apologize right now. Time for me to sit down, shut-up, and listen . . .
:)
#12383 by clarence05
Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:37 pm
I live in the OZARKS .I am 56 yrs.old. I am playing pretty regular doing the bar circuit.Our keyboard player is 43 the youngest ,lead 53,rythmn 57,me bass,drummer 53 lead vocal 49.me and lead known and played for 15yrs. together. now two of my grandkids are learning to play so it will continue on.........

#12411 by Lady Rocker
Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:59 pm
Where is Sydney MI?????

I know there is alot more action down state in the lower peninsula than there is in the Upper peninsula....

Just curious as to where u are at??
#12417 by http://bandmix.ca/Thomas1
Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:42 pm
Well at 63 , I am the busiest entertainer in Canada..
I play over 300 PAID shows each year at Seniors Retirement Homes, produced 3 pro Cd's last year, and a new one ready .

The music I play and sing is from the 30'up, including CCR, Johnny Cash,
Jim Reeves, The Hag, Big Band sounds,polkas, Elvis, and classic rock.

Each song back then told a story, and they live on !

Todays music ( ????) is so violent, so loud, and there is no sense to the lyrics. It is not music, it's more like hateful noise....

Have a listen band mix.ca browse...British Columbia

"The One Man Band"

I would love to do a tour playing for snowbirds in the southern US
this winter.
Anyone have any connections?
Thomas :D

#12457 by Scott Frade
Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:44 am
I'm a 45 yr old bass player living in the Houston area looking for a band to play with. I'll enjoy playing blues, rock, the older stuff and some of the new suff.
Just moved here from Cincinnati and wanting to play!!
#12580 by http://bandmix.ca/Thomas1
Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:29 am
Thank you for your reply.I should have mentioned that as a kid I played drums in a rock band.I also play and sing new music + CCR Elvis,

I do like modern music but I just can't understand rap
Thomas