This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#976 by Guest
Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:04 pm
Hi bluesguitargrl:>) I could not agree with you more. I think that females in the industry do not get the respect they deserve. I have played and recorded with various female singers, players etc over the years that were gifted musicians, that have my deepest respect. Sadley in this industry it is the total package that gets the nod....not just the musical gifts....great music should be just that....great music...regardless of who makes it. This holds true for males as well as females. I have not been a star, but have helped them on their road to success with my playing. I weigh in close to 400lbs and have most of my adult life....no way to be a front man....but I have had my success behind the scenes. Hey you can always find a place. Keep playing and enjoy. Jon

#980 by Guest
Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:12 pm
Believe it or not, our biggest concern is talent. Looks is important, but only to a certain degree. :wink:
#993 by fisherman bob
Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:20 pm
Contact all the people in your area who give singing or voice lessons. Some of them work through music stores, some advertise their service in the music classified sections of newspapers, especially in the arts & entertainment newspapers. Anyway, when you contact them tell them what kind of singer you're looking for and ask if they have any star pupils who might be interested in trying out for your band. I have found a few musicians who played with us for years this way. Another way is to go to any bar that has a karaoke night, especially if they have the finals of an ongoing karaoke contest, and listen to all the female singers. If you hear a good one just introduce yourself and tell them about your band, and that you need a singer. This also will save you the aggravation of having people come over and audition with your band sight unseen. Later-Your pal in the music business, Fisherman Bob

#1218 by axisdwn
Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:50 am
Y mind if I join in? I agree that my thoughts may fall on ears long ago deafened at woodstock, but it sounds like (4) you are after the female singer image. not insofar as " her breasts", but someone out front with obvious power and control over their environment. Ever been to a bar? Of course, there are always exceptions. But a woman with confidence in her musical ability will always have an edge on men when it comes to engaging their audience. Please keep in mind I mean no offence, but while the audience is engaged with her, they are in fact not noticing you. You don't have to lay your "junk" on the slab if she's packing the load. Obviously I've never seen your live shows but if by seeking a female you mean to hide behind her as one of the dudes in the band with that killer chic singer, then I refer you th the great James Brown. "If you don't leave sweaty footprints walking of the stage, you don't deserve to be there". And of course if this is all way off, forgive me. Point 2: have you ever heard of this dude called Joe Satriani? Maybe Vai? They both hold labels for instrumental bands. I know we all can't be the Bad Horsie shredmeisters they are, but they illustrate the whole reason bands endure every hardship and crowds keep turning up. THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NOTHING MORE SATISFYING THAN RIPPING UP YOUR TUNE WITH A CROWD THAT GENUINELY DIGS WHAT YOU'RE DOING! Don't be no ghost.

#1249 by Guest
Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:41 pm
True, I have a trap case older than most of the "musicians" on this site. Along with that goes over a 1,000 live performances. That trap case has sat in the corner of every "gin mill" in Boston. I have heard of Joe & Steve, and have met them both, through my friend Mike Mangini.com We are absolutely looking for that Hot chic front person image, with three unseen musicians in black t-shirts behind her. We make no bones about it :wink: That is what we do. It works in town. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ We will stand toe to toe with any cover band alive. Hey said proudly.......

#1447 by Guest
Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:12 pm
Also,......We are way beyond worrying about being noticed, my ego has been well fed over the last 20 years. :wink: I challenge anyone to remember who was hiding behind James Brown,....Who was making that great music? Nobody knows, Nobody cares. We have the same attitude toward it. We get payed. We enjoy playing. We will let our Hot Chick Vocalist, worry about signing autographs. We will sit in the corner, count the money, drink a beer, and watch the staff mop up "ALL" the "sweaty footprints". Now thats genuinely satisfying......... :wink: P. S. Joe & Steve said hi.......

#1448 by Guest
Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:52 pm
Hey Eddie,
I hear what you're saying and to add my two cents,I don't give the crowd time to figure out who the drummer was...I have the wing nuts flying off the cymbals the minute I hit that last beat so if the guys want to play an encore they better be ready cause I don't hesitate.I'm not a drinker,so give me my cut and I'm gone...........I let the rest of the band take the spotlight,bask in the limelight,add to their liver problems,damage the remaining brain cells and cheat on their wives...wow,I got off the beatin path..........I honestly don't know who the spotlight is on in EXIT 20.We aren't the glamour boys of classic rock but our fans love to hear that old rock and roll!!!!

#1480 by Blindfold5150
Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:03 pm
Jonnyrocker wrote:Hi bluesguitargrl:>) I could not agree with you more. I think that females in the industry do not get the respect they deserve. I have played and recorded with various female singers, players etc over the years that were gifted musicians, that have my deepest respect. Sadley in this industry it is the total package that gets the nod....not just the musical gifts....great music should be just that....great music...regardless of who makes it. This holds true for males as well as females. I have not been a star, but have helped them on their road to success with my playing. I weigh in close to 400lbs and have most of my adult life....no way to be a front man....but I have had my success behind the scenes. Hey you can always find a place. Keep playing and enjoy. Jon
:........Johnnyrocker makes some great points . Heres my "2 cents"... I'm new here on this site , but not new to the (male or female) singer situation . Since before I can remember , my mother has been a professional jazz singer . I grew up hearing a womans point of view , about audiences , gig politics , and club owners . When I was 19 or so I started playing out on a regular basis , in a band here in DC , had a modest following . Over the course of the 5 or so years we played out , we had 3 different singers , all female . They all wanted to be the center of the show . No b.s. . To me , being in a band , you are part of a whole . What you contribute helps the overall feel of the music. I was very understanding , listened to what the wanted , and gave my all to appease them . I never had a singer tell me my stage volume was too loud or , "Hey , dont play under me!" But all the singers had 1 thing in common ; they had Lead Singers Disease . I'm not saying this is a female thing , both sexes are prone to this . David Lee Roth is a good example ... finally we had me sing . I have the blessing ( or curse ) of perfect pitch , which is a normal result of being raised by a perfect-pitch jazz-singer mom . Maybe I dont like being the center of attention , or I like to hide behind chords & arpegiating , ascending , descending , flat picked , or swept notes . I'm going on & on . My 2 cents is , when you do add a singer , be ready for them to say , " Hey ! This is MY show !". I'm not saying all singers are like this , just be prepared for something we all have in varied degree : ego . :shock:

#1483 by Guest
Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:51 pm
Blindfold 5150: I agree with you about the lead singer disease...it is pretty wide spread....i am the STAR you are my back up....true not everyone is like that, but i also wish they would recognize as in sports a band/group is a team that functions as a whole. Everyone does their part to create a song. I say a little less ego please. If you can let go of the ego, you can truley experience something wonderfull. take care.

#1644 by Auburn Diva
Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:53 pm
Lead Singer's Disease has a sister. It's called Lead Guitarist's Disease. I've encountered quite a few guitarists who felt that the singer was only there to complement their lead licks. Sorry, guys; you're not all Chastains or Malmsteens, & if you are you should start your own project & take top billing. We singers can tend to let our egos get away from us; simply because the singer tends to be the "face" of the band (especially the female singers). Comments from audience members can give ego a life of its own when most are about how well you can sing as opposed to how good the band sounds as a whole. I keep my ego in check as best I can, but let's face it, ALL entertainers have ego to spare.

#1665 by Auburn Diva
Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:39 pm
Just re-reading this thread & wondering to myself where I can find a Figure Four Band here in Florida???

#1670 by Guest
Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:08 pm
I have met so many talented, attractive, and friendly female vocalists on this site, since i've joined......THIS SITE DOES WORK!.......just not in my area code... :cry: Good luck with your search Julie.......Eddie B.

#1674 by Auburn Diva
Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:10 am
Are you sure you guys wouldn't rather live in Daytona, Eddie? LOL

#1751 by Guest
Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:43 pm
I love the beach,......but my roots are deep here in beantown :wink:

#1924 by Bluesguitargrl
Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:06 am
Maybe I'm in the wrong part of the country, it seems that I am in need of a band, I am not finding as of now, and all these bands elsewhere are in need of singers.... (guitar players too... since I do both, does that mean I have both syndromes?) Hmmmmmm. :wink: