This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#101477 by gbheil
Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:53 am
Well it's back to my guitar and amp for me.
Sounded good at the gig Friday.
The kids said "wow the old guys rock".
What more can one ask? 8)

#101550 by Lespaulson
Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:05 pm
My cheapest pedal is a Edwards Light Beam volume pedal that used to belong to Rick Derringer. A friend of mine had gotten it from Rick in Nashville and traded it to me for a Seymour Duncan pickup I'd bought for $15. It's a good pedal but not better than a full size Ernie Ball. The pedal throw lacks 'feel'. Cool pedal though.

#101591 by Jonny Deth
Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:07 am
Designed and built myself
The Death Screamer™

Parts wise it was cheap, labor hours however would be a wallet killer!

#101624 by jw123
Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:00 pm
Thats a killer looking pedal John Boy!

When I raced motorcycles we used to put those little skulls on the air stems on the tires. Is that what they are? Just curious.

Ive never been patient enough to build pedals, plus i destroy so many that it would just piss me off anyway.

Have a Great Day!

#101647 by Starfish Scott
Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:10 pm
Please this topic is for cheap pedals, like DANELECTRO junk.

Not good pedals you got for cheap.. LOL

#101658 by Jonny Deth
Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:07 pm
The knobs are air valve stem caps with small tubes I implanted into the threading so they'll fit split knurled shafts.
Each one is a control knob, including those on the side.
Compared to not just the cost but the LOOK of actual skull knobs sold, these are way cheaper and look better than the dozens of designs I've seen.

It IS a cheap pedal, it's just not a JUNK pedal.

Left side is stage 1 volume.
Right side is master volume.
Red is gain.
Skulls left to right counting bottom go bass, mid and treble.
Top knob is a blend/bypass EQ control.
Oh, and last night I added a switch on the treble control for changing capacitor values. More or less it changes it from a treble to a presence.
Probably $15 in materials....150 in labor! lol

Now you know why boutique pedals cost so damn much.

#101708 by mistermikev
Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:22 am
Jonny Deth wrote:The knobs are air valve stem caps with small tubes I implanted into the threading so they'll fit split knurled shafts.
Each one is a control knob, including those on the side.
Compared to not just the cost but the LOOK of actual skull knobs sold, these are way cheaper and look better than the dozens of designs I've seen.

It IS a cheap pedal, it's just not a JUNK pedal.

Left side is stage 1 volume.
Right side is master volume.
Red is gain.
Skulls left to right counting bottom go bass, mid and treble.
Top knob is a blend/bypass EQ control.
Oh, and last night I added a switch on the treble control for changing capacitor values. More or less it changes it from a treble to a presence.
Probably $15 in materials....150 in labor! lol

Now you know why boutique pedals cost so damn much.

"The knobs are air valve stem caps" dang... I mistook your skull knobs for the $12 ea knobs you find at all parts etc. nice creative diy approach.

"Probably $15 in materials....150 in labor! lol

Now you know why boutique pedals cost so damn much."
yeah, folks don't often realize how much effort goes into a hand wired pedal vs a 'all smd component-mass produced" pedal.

You just can't compare what you can buy from boss/mxr/dod with what you can build - many times I've built an exact clone of a circuit and have found that based only on using higher quality parts (not changing any values) I end up with something that sounds so much better...

guess that's why zvex can charge $400 for a woolly mammoth!

#101748 by jw123
Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:46 pm
We had a guy that raced bikes that put little lights on his valve stems. They would blink when he rode. You might could find a couple of those to light the pedal up some. I didnt realize at first glance that they had functions. They seemed kinda close together.

Once again thats a cool asss looking pedal. I need one of those for my board just to make folks wonder what to hell it is!

#104750 by Jim-FindingFortress
Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:41 pm
I have a Zoom G1x that I use for just about nothing but the delay on my pedal board.

#107816 by SuhrGT555
Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:26 am
I think the cheapest one I have is a Boss DS-1 Distortion. But...it's a damn good distortion pedal for $35 bucks!

#108604 by MartyP68
Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:25 pm
Mine would be a behringer TO800 over drive pedal for 15$ not bad for a little plastic pedal.

#108614 by ColorsFade
Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:18 pm
Cheapest Pedal: Morely Tremonti Wah.

I love it.

#111717 by Pete Zaiatz
Sun May 16, 2010 1:14 pm
I still use a bunch of old pedals, most of which were dirt cheap and used when I bought them 20+ years ago. I have an Aria Compressor that I think I bought for 12 bucks used that I still use between my tele and my c30. One of my favorites is a Vestafire Powertube distotion I love to kick for leads. If memory serves me right that was like under 15 bucks in the early 90's..lol

#119549 by Billy Hell
Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:44 am
Johnny Deth - I'm trying to make some 8 ball valve stem caps into guitar knobs. Can you tell me what you put in your valve stem skulls to make them work?

#120350 by Starfish Scott
Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:05 pm
Ooh I just got a new entry.

I got a GCB-95 cry baby wah for 20$, with busted spdt switch. (dunlop junk)

Time for a carling dpdt and a red fasel!

(at least it isn't a danelectro) lol