This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#119088 by Kody88
Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:54 pm
:D
I really enjoy Sarah McLachlan's songwriting. Even though sometimes she collaborates with her producer Pierre Marchand, I think she is a FANTASTIC songwriter. I love ANY musician who can lay their emotions out on the table like that. And Sarah has that. She helped me survive high school, and her new album (first studio release since Afterglow, seven years ago) has so many great songs on it. My favorite has to be "Forgiveness"...

And you ask for forgiveness
You’re asking too much
I have sheltered my heart in a place you can’t touch
I don’t believe when you tell me your love is real
Cause you don’t know much about heaven, boy
If you have to hurt to feel

And then "Love Come" The piano version is BEAUTIFUL with the string accompaniment...

Love has taken me in lifted my load
And in this empty space a wonder grows
A dream of some kind of peace
I could hold up as true
I never knew anything about love before you

SARAH IS AWESOME!

#119093 by philbymon
Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:46 pm
Sorry, but I really hate Sarah McLachlan...her damned ASPCA commercial ruins nearly every show on the comedy channel.

Aside from that, she's a tad depressing, & too much of her stuff only sounds good in a chick flick, cuz you sure couldn't put in any other kind of flick.

Different strokes, I suppose...

#119094 by Kody88
Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:03 pm
It's cool. Most people say that. But those commercials raised over $1 million dollars, which is really amazing to me. But I respect your opinion, I hear that one alot. But I think she's a great songwriter. But she has the opposite effect on me. She always seems to lift me out of the darkness. What music do you like?

#119097 by philbymon
Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:27 pm
For fem singers, my faves are Suzanne Vega & Toni Childs, for completely different reasons, obviously.

Childs has such a formidable energy, she draws me in deep, even if her tunes are seen by some as somewhat dated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S00HHzXZ ... lYnN0gIfUW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V2UrTpE ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckz2-sju ... re=related

Vega is just so totally feminine in her voice, she grabs me by the boo-boos. Aside from that, she's an interesting lyricist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBFG372HsW8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6CHff8k ... re=related

#119136 by Kody88
Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:26 am
Do you like Evanescence or Alanis Morissette?

#119137 by philbymon
Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:30 am
Yeah, they're both good. I also like some of Alicia Keys' stuff.

I never considered myself a person who's much into fem singers, though.

#119147 by gbheil
Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:32 am
KISS ALIVE got me through High School.

Enough said ... :twisted:

#119168 by jimmydanger
Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:42 pm
I dig Sarah but confess I haven't bought one of her Cds in years. Her new tune is pretty upbeat for her.

#119200 by Kody88
Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:07 pm
jimmydanger wrote:I dig Sarah but confess I haven't bought one of her Cds in years. Her new tune is pretty upbeat for her.

Yeah, "Loving You is Easy" took me by surprise, but in a good way. It was a curveball to hear a happier song from Sarah. But "Angel" rescued me. It's a tough choice for me wether Fumbling Towards Ecstacy or Surfacing is my fav. Sarah album. But I'm falling in love with Laws of Illusion.

And I don't look at music as fem music or guy music. Music is music to me. And I love it all...except rap (b/c I don't count it as music) lol R&B is music, but not rap. 8)

#119201 by philbymon
Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:11 pm
I've come to think of rap as a performance art that has replaced music for a lot of ppl, though some have successfully incorporated it into real music.

#119223 by Kody88
Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:11 pm
malocchio wrote:
philbymon wrote:Sorry, but I really hate Sarah McLachlan...her damned ASPCA commercial ruins nearly every show on the comedy channel.

Aside from that, she's a tad depressing, & too much of her stuff only sounds good in a chick flick, cuz you sure couldn't put in any other kind of flick.

Different strokes, I suppose...

AAARGGHH!

i can't watch those commercials.

:(

i did like that first song of hers that became a hit, but i couldn't really get into the rest of her stuff. i'm a fickle bastard.

:?

Just the one commercial with "Angel" ("In the arms of the angel, fly away from here, from this dark cold hotel room, and the endlessness that you fear...) raised millions of dollars for that association. And all her personal profits from Lillith Fair she donates to charities. Everything about her is amazsing, I think.

#119224 by Kody88
Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:17 pm
philbymon wrote:I've come to think of rap as a performance art that has replaced music for a lot of ppl, though some have successfully incorporated it into real music.

I can agree that rap can be considered a "performance art", but music? It's a bunch of shouting of profanities, It just happens to have a beat, some loops, and some background noise. Sorry, but I personally don't consider that music. I consider it profane poertry in motion. But that's just my opinion. Not trying to start drama.

:)

#119226 by gbheil
Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:23 pm
Had some guys doing "Christian" Rap at a show we did last year.
And i actually enjoyed some of it.
It is amazing what positive lyrical content can do for any genre'.