This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Drums and Accessories.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#81324 by Rod J.
Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:12 am
I own a set of Roland TD-4's. I have played accoustics for most of my adult life. You guys are very correct in stating they will never replace the sound of real drums. However, I do firmly believe that when recording in the studio nothing can compare to their convenience. No mike stands,mikes,cords or difficult room worries can really speed up the recording process. :lol:

#86648 by RockSteady09
Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:10 pm
I have played both sets many times and have been playing since I was in 3rd grade, and now 52yrs....V/Drums are OK but can never compare to the sound of an Acoustic Set. The feel of the drum, and to control the dynamics of a roll around the set cannot be compaired an Elect Sound...anyone who has played a while knows, the way to go for a full solid, drum sound is Acoustic...RockSteady

#101506 by Ken-Harlan
Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:31 pm
I played Rolands (TD-10 concert series) from 2001 thru 2007 and I loved them. I spent the $$$ and got the good cymbals. Then I purchased my Gretsch American maple kit and Sabians . They both have a place for sure. But you can't replace the sound and feel of the Gretsch kit.

#118507 by Sathya
Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:41 am
With a full-frequency spectrum of tone, and with enough energy and impact to propel an entire ensemble, the drum set is the true foundation of modern music. But even though drums have steadily evolved, drummers still dream of surpassing the inherent, fixed limitations of the instrument.

#138962 by FLdrummR
Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:33 am
I just don't think you can beat a good set of acoustic drums. The feel, sound, and power you get from a well tuned acoustic kit is the best thing in my book.

Roland V-drums are great and certainly are a quality product, but would I ever trade acoustic drums for electronics? - never! They have made great advances in electronic drums, most definitely, but electronic drums still sound electronic, even with the best module. You can definitely tell the sound of electronic cymbals compared to regular acoustic cymbals. They just don't sound or feel the same no matter how you slice it so it just doesn't work for me as a preference. I may purchase a set of electronics sometime in the future for quieter rehearsal, but I would never give up a good set of acoustics. A good set of well-made acoustic drums like Gretsch, Sonor, etc. and a set Paiste cymbals are impossible to beat for me personally.

It's all personal preference and there's nothing wrong with liking electronics at all. They are a great tool and nice option for those who wish to record without all the setup work required, but when you achieve a good recording of acoustic drums (good room, right mics, placement, etc.) it does sound fantastic.

I'm essentially a purist when it comes to sound and acoustic drums are what excites me. A quality set of drums and quality made cymbals are a work of art and there's nothing like them.

If you want to see the perfect application for electronics, go check out a Ringling Bros and Barnum Bailey Circus show - no joke! They've featured a live band at their shows for probably the past 10 years now and utilize really talented drummers playing Roland V drums. It actually is pretty cool when you watch the drummer do his thing.