This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#116084 by Luqmann
Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:34 pm
Hi everyone, I'm a guitarist from the Merrillville, Indiana area. The kicker is, I'm only 16, so this makes it even harder to find musicians. I have 5.5 years of experience, and I'm really dedicated to my music. But I can't find anybody (and i mean anybody) that i can get to join my band. I mean there are people here and there, but I'm having no luck. How do you all do it? (start your bands)

#116098 by gbheil
Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:26 pm
First let grandpa say ... GET YOUR EDUCATION FIRST !!

Building a band is about networking with like minded people.
And by the nature of your post I have to make the assumption that this will be your first attempt.
Try to find people at or slightly above your skill range ( whatever that may be ) It will keep things interesting for all involved as well as give you the opportunity to learn and grow.

Now another unsolicited piece of advice.

Move away from thinking acting and saying MY, MINE, I, ETC.

OURS and WE will go a long way in bringing a band to fruition and keeping it together long enough to accomplish something worth while.

#116105 by philbymon
Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:59 pm
Aw hell, sans! A band is a great extra-curricular activity! I tried forming a cpl when I was still in school.

I got lucky, though, & found some rich kids whose parents had bought them some pretty good equipment, after I'd worked my butt off & bought my own Aria Strat & a Fender Twin Reverb.

Thing is, there aren't many places for a young band to play.

Anyway, talk to the choral director at your school, & the music teacher, & ask for referrals. Don't forget the thesbians. You can also check out your local theater groups, & talk to music teachers at music stores. Don't be afraid to check out churches, either. There are musicians everywhere. It's your job to sniff 'em out.

#116111 by Starfish Scott
Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:08 pm
Round here we use open mics.

You play at one and if people like your music, you can evolve from there.

Never had luck with Craigslist or Bmix because people aren't very diligent about communication unless they see you play 1st.
Last edited by Starfish Scott on Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#116113 by philbymon
Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:53 pm
Er...Cap?

This guy's 16...I doubt he'll be making too many open mics...

#116116 by Krul
Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:43 pm
Word of mouth has always been best for me. I would ask people I knew if they had any friends or co-worker's who played.

Half of the members in any band I was ever in were my friends. But they're no longer my friends, so be careful about starting bands with really good friends if you're too much alike.

I never see bulletins anymore, but those have always worked.

Not sure if/when the online thing will work for me. Still persisting with that.

You shouldn't have a hard time finding some people to play with. My nephew is 14 and is already on his third band.

Good on ya!

#116476 by Black57
Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:31 pm
philbymon wrote:Er...Cap?

This guy's 16...I doubt he'll be making too many open mics...

Check out some of the coffee shops. There is one in my backyard that has music every night 2 nights are open mic nights.

Actaully, I agree with everyone here. Luqman, the only things you have against you is your age and inexperience. You have to leave no rock unturned and don't be skerred to speak to people...even the old ones :wink: There is oppotunity everywhere

#116538 by johnnya
Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:00 pm
If it's in your heart, it will ride with you forever, these gentlemen have givin you good advice, do not be in a rush for fame, you must know your limitations, dont believer everyone who say they can do this or that for you. Let them prove it first then decide. work up at least 12 songs from start to finish-when you hook up, you wont just stand there with 3 songs, do the simplest in your catagory. And faith does not hurt, this buisness people tend to be more blunt and some open about things.

#116919 by Luqmann
Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:22 am
Thanks everybody for the positive feedback, I will certainly use all of the tips, and try to get it started. Or I guess, I could just work on a solo career. Who knows, but thanks. :wink:

#119564 by Shawnlambert
Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:39 pm
Start hanging out with musicians... another way would be to take lessons. Sometimes music schools will let you know about other students your age looking for a band too.

There is also "band camps" cropping up here and there like this one:

http://www.dailynewstribune.com/news/x5 ... -band-camp

#119598 by Black57
Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:14 pm
Luqmann wrote:Thanks everybody for the positive feedback, I will certainly use all of the tips, and try to get it started. Or I guess, I could just work on a solo career. Who knows, but thanks. :wink:

Do or do not...there is no try__________ Yoda

#119599 by Black57
Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:15 pm
Moody_Like_a_Girl wrote:Start hanging out with musicians... another way would be to take lessons. Sometimes music schools will let you know about other students your age looking for a band too.

There is also "band camps" cropping up here and there like this one:

http://www.dailynewstribune.com/news/x5 ... -band-camp

THis is a very good idea!!! I forgot about that

#121080 by FU
Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:25 am
Got any family members or close friends willing to help?
For the past 10 years I have played in band made up of my brothers and I with a drummer. We are all very different, but my brothers were into music too and I knew they had a great work ethic. I also knew that they weren't wimps sporting attitude problems, like most of the non-family or close friends (the drummers that lasted were in for 4 years each. Soldiers I tell ya!).
I'm waiting for my cousin to turn 18. He plays a mean drums and think about the chicks....... :twisted: He's been trying to audition since he was 12.

You're young. Teach some friends to jam.

#121081 by philbymon
Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:32 am
Lugmann, there is nothing wrong with going it solo.

I've done it for over 35 years (& not just sexually, but musically, too!) & it forced me to become a good rhythm player, singer & arranger.

Solo's much more work than being in a band, imho. It takes a lot of dedication to promote yourself, to choose & play the perfect pieces for your abilities, & to stretch your limits on an almost daily basis.

I highly recommend it.

#121283 by VocalsBass
Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:03 pm
philbymon wrote:Lugmann, there is nothing wrong with going it solo.

I've done it for over 35 years (& not just sexually, but musically, too!) & it forced me to become a good rhythm player, singer & arranger.

Solo's much more work than being in a band, imho. It takes a lot of dedication to promote yourself, to choose & play the perfect pieces for your abilities, & to stretch your limits on an almost daily basis.

I highly recommend it.

Is that maybe also as a sign of getting old? (going solo). :wink:
Yeah, I just feel like I would rather 'go it' by myself also.
And I agree 100%, with the becoming a "good rythm player", in a full band or solo, either way.
Keith Richards & Ronnie Wood's rythm guitar work with the Rolling Stones are some of the best of the best at rythm guitar, as my personal favorite anyway.
For some reason..this thread reminds me of a time back maybe around 10 years ago, I was in Parkersburg getting ready to practice with a cover band at the time, and one of the guitar players was really depressed and down & out, so I ask him "hey are you OK man"?
He looked at me with such a sadness in his eyes and replied, "Man..you cant play music without pot"!, :D I could see merit to his point, but lol..he was just so damn serious about it, not having any pot to smoke.
I cant remember if he 'scored' or we called off practice. :P