This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#115061 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:25 am
WOW, SMART FROM EVERYWHERE!!!!! Thanx Philby,Thanx Craig.

#115072 by gtZip
Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:59 am
The problem with the 'enforce the laws that we already have' thing is that would you wouldn't be able to walk around Seattle with a concealed weapon over six feet in length.

If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle, in Florida.

f**k that!

#115077 by Black57
Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:51 am
Well here is my comment. People who hate others because of race is due to something lacking in them. Either they are in fear, jealous or they are clinging to antiquated concepts of races. I discuss race with my students often. I had a student who just came out and said..."Mary, there is no such thing as race." She is absolutely correct but we as humans, for some reason feel that it is important to be seperated. Some people feel "bigger" by belittling others due to differences. I have a student where the majority of the kids at his school are Asian and they have managed to build walls within their own people. There are the nerdy Asians, the jock Asians, the cheerleader Asians. There are the FOBS ( fresh off the boat ) This may seem like no big deal but the nerdy Asians do not sit with the cheerleader Asians, No one sits with the FOBS. This may seem simple but it is this kind of thing that is the root of cultural angst.

Something that really upset me in my neighborhood was this guy had a badass truck, brand new ( you guys would have loved it ), and someone painted graffitti all over it. One thing scribbled on his beautiful truck was "Beaner go home".
:x Grrrr.
It amazes me, however, that the one thing that builds bridges that brings people together...even temporarily is music. When I lived in Ohio, there was a :big" KKK rally in my town. The week before that they had a community family picnic in the same area to show "solidarity" as a community regardless of race. My husband and I were interviewed because I, of course am black, and he's white. I thought it was pretty cool. Fast forward, the day of the rally the football stadium held a special program<<<music>>> to keep people away from the downtown area, to avoid riots. Plus one of the roller rinks had a special discount skate night. All of this was to keep the town calm and peaceful. I don't know if these activities could be blamed, but the rally lasted 20 hot minutes.

My point is, it is going to take the whole community to deter this kind of crime. The more a community can come together like this, the less effective hate will be.

#115087 by philbymon
Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:17 pm
I was hoping you'd chime in, Mary, & yeah, well said.

I can't begin to tell you about all the crap I've seen in this area over the years I've been here.

Just having ppl over for dinner can be a bizarre experience. I've been rather embarrassed by neighbors, employers, co-workers, & even fellow musicians, which really shocked me. I guess I'm naive in many ways, & just don't expect the vile attitudes from otherwise normal-seeming ppl. Much of it even happens with ppl from 'the big city,' who aren't born & raised here.

On the flip side, I've seen some very good folk that are lifelong locals, whose social skills & personal attitudes are the best I've seen.

I figure I got into the arts to open ppl's minds, not to close them, & I do what I can short of antagonistic confrontation, which never works, anyway.

#115145 by Dessalines
Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:05 pm
KLUGMO wrote:You are putting words in peopls mouths Dess. Drugs are leagal, prostitution is leagal and murder is leagal if you are on death row.
Open your mind before your mouth.

By the way so is same sex mariage

None of the things you mentioned, is legal as opposed to "leagal" in your state. That is legislation of morality. Are you in favor? What's your stand?

I am not putting any words in anybody's mouth KLUG, I asked a question, so you are actually guilty of you accused me.

My mind is way more open than you can possibly conceive but I'm not going to trade degree titles or book lists with you.

You know nothing about me but you know I don't come here much, so your first reaction is to attack, because I might have said something to a "regular" forumite that you no doubt misread but assumed was an insult, rather than an attempt to engage. Gee, I feel really welcome. Same s__t happens here every time. I lurk here mostly because its populated mostly by the same regulars every single day. Anybody posting anything different than the party line is quickly driven out.

BTW, spell check is a wonderful tool, you should try it and close your mouth, the flies might get in. Buhbye.....

#115152 by KLUGMO
Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:40 pm
i TRULY FEAL SARY FER U Dess. It's a shame you come to the forum unarmed with the funduhmental tools it takes to have a true dissscussion.
The ability to give and take. The ability to laugh at yourself. The ability to admit you are wrong. The ability to get a little dirty. It is not anyones job here to welcome you, though many are all the time. My state has nothing to do with the statement. All are leegul in this Country in one state or another. Morality in this Country is manipulated and legislated. It is fluid. Attacking here is common place and almost expected. Thing is, those being attacked hang in there due to strength in character. Maybe you should work on that Dessy. Anywho I hope you join more threads here and do battle with the REAL MONSTERS that lurk within.

By the way Welcome.

#115167 by philbymon
Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:54 pm
So des, what do you think about the topic at hand. I'm more interested in what you think of that than I am about your feelings for those who have contributed to the thread.

DO you have any intelligent comment on the subject, or are you here to disrupt?

#115169 by Black57
Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:07 pm
philbymon wrote:I was hoping you'd chime in, Mary, & yeah, well said.

I can't begin to tell you about all the crap I've seen in this area over the years I've been here.

Just having ppl over for dinner can be a bizarre experience. I've been rather embarrassed by neighbors, employers, co-workers, & even fellow musicians, which really shocked me. I guess I'm naive in many ways, & just don't expect the vile attitudes from otherwise normal-seeming ppl. Much of it even happens with ppl from 'the big city,' who aren't born & raised here.

On the flip side, I've seen some very good folk that are lifelong locals, whose social skills & personal attitudes are the best I've seen.

I figure I got into the arts to open ppl's minds, not to close them, & I do what I can short of antagonistic confrontation, which never works, anyway.

THanks Craig, Philby what bugs me is this stuff still exists and this is why minorites, namely my people, are so suspicious when they get pulled over, or followed in the department stores. My son got pulled over the other day because of the tinted windows on the car. Well the whole family was suspicious of that one, even my white husband was pissed. But once we calmed down and I googled about tinted windows and California law I learned that indeed the front side windows are not to be tinted. But understand, this is why the race card gets pulled so often even if race is NOT an issue. There are just too many times when it is an issue. It just makes for a big mess.

Now this is off topic...if it is illegal for the side windows to be tinted why aren't the dealerships, that sell these cars, fined? :evil:

#115175 by philbymon
Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:40 pm
LOL

I guess the cops get suspicious when they can't see the color of the driver, eh?

I'd go straight to that dealership & demand that they remove the tinted windows, at their own expense! Around here, & well, in every state I've ever lived, a dealer CANNOT sell a car that won't pass the state inspection, if they expect to retain their license to sell cars. That's prolly true in CA, too. Check it out, & lemme know how it goes.

#115180 by Black57
Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:12 pm
philbymon wrote:LOL

I guess the cops get suspicious when they can't see the color of the driver, eh?

I'd go straight to that dealership & demand that they remove the tinted windows, at their own expense! Around here, & well, in every state I've ever lived, a dealer CANNOT sell a car that won't pass the state inspection, if they expect to retain their license to sell cars. That's prolly true in CA, too. Check it out, & lemme know how it goes.

Well, one of Devin's friends showed him how to remove the tint. BUUUT, you can indeed tell the race of the person driving this car, even with the tint. The windows were tinted but not blacked out :?

#115181 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:20 pm
You are right. You can not sell a new car with bald tires. Why are the dealers allowed to sell a car that is not legal in other ways.

Getting back to the main topic ; we must not let the message of Martin Luther King be destroyed. I am SHOCKED when the president of our country, in the oval office, would give a speech to the nation ,that included as racist of comment as any kkk leader. "Rich WHITE executives moving to the suburbs because they don't want to pay taxes to inner city children to go to school'

You know ,,,, This wouldn't have bothered me that much if he had NOT used the word WHITE. Why The Hell Did He Go Out His Way To Single Out WHITE Executives? Is he looking to start race wars?

#115185 by KLUGMO
Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:36 pm
I'm curious 57. Do you not think that buyer should beware. Are you sayin this was a BRAND NEW car or new to you? As the devils advocate I would say why did you think this was a race issue? Did you go there first? You admit the windows were not leagal. Was that the officers job that you pay him to do. If your son had wrecked do to not being able to see out the mirror well enough, would you have wished for this?

Just trying to see the other side of the coin.

#115195 by gbheil
Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:24 pm
Here is my 0.02. A generalization.

All people will naturally gravitate towards others of their own ethnicity.
It is natural not racism.
Speech, no matter how distasteful or offensive to others must be protected.
Once "we" started drawing lines of distinction as to what "words" can or cannot be used we began a slow slide irreversible into slavery.

So please calling someone a nigger or a cracker or a kyke or just an asshole only does harm to the one applying the label.
And no it's not the same as yelling fire in a crowded theater so spare me that lame analogy.

Then again lets just make abortion retroactive. That way I can just shoot the dickhead dropping F bombs behind my family in the theater just before I yell fire. :wink:

#115197 by CraigMaxim
Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:26 pm
KLUGMO wrote:

As the devils advocate I would say why did you think this was a race issue?

She explained already, that there is a long HISTORY and TRACK RECORD of racist treatment by cops of minorities. And that alone explains why someone could immediately be suspicious that they were being singled out for something, that maybe the cop wouldn't have pulled someone else over for.

Even in the natural world... Look at a family pet, that may have been beaten on a regular basis for years and years, and guess what? Even if you moved that pet to the most caring family in the world, for years, and possibly the rest of the pet's life, if even the nicest person in the world raised his hand too quickly (even to pet him) the pet will still FLINCH at first, expecting the worst from even an innocent gesture.

It's a similar principle.

Nature is nature. Abuse an animal or a person too much, and they will be scarred for a long while... maybe even the rest of their lives. It diminishes over time, but that FEELING of SUSPICION of intention, will likely ALWAYS be there on some level.

Only TIME, and ALOT OF IT, changes that widely and broadly.

Having a black president is a HUGE step in overcoming much of that reality, but realize this.... you do not change HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS of years of bad history, merely because one black man made it to the Oval Office.

You have professed to being a Christian Klugmo. Part of Christian love and compassion is having the ability to EMPATHIZE... to step in someone else's shoes, and try to appreciate their struggles or pains from THEIR PERSPECTIVE, from THEIR EXPERIENCES and REALITY.

And I believe as a Christian, that DOING THAT, is FAR MORE PRODUCTIVE than playing Devil's advocate (and toughly so, btw) in this particular situation.

Don't forget that, IN MOST OF OUR OWN LIFETIMES, we were alive, when black Americans were not allowed to sit at the same lunch counter or drink from "white only" water fountains.

ONE LIFE TIME.

Don't think that in ONE GENERATION everything is now perfect, and equality has been achieved fully.

But we can be VERY PROUD as Americans, that SO MUCH has been accomplished in racial equality and race relations, in such a SHORT period of time.

It CONSTANTLY amazes me, that President Obama as a child, would have been old enough to hear Martin Luther King Jr's "I Have A Dream" speech, and could have even listened to it LIVE being delivered by Dr. King in front of the Lincoln Memorial. And in that child's OWN LIFETIME, he grew into a man who helped achieve in great measure, the HOPE, the DREAM, Dr. King prayed that day, would come to fruition in future generations.

That in ONE PERSON'S LIFETIME, we have gone from separate schools and restaurants and separate HUMAN RIGHTS itself, to a black American being elected President of this great nation, is a MIRACLE of change, and a testimony to why this nation is so amazing... so profound, and so NECESSARY in our world.

It is not just WE AMERICANS who were amazed by this, but as you saw clearly during the election returns, virtually THE WHOLE WORLD WAS GIDDILY SHOCKED as well!

It is not just us, who believe in the promise of our founding beliefs, but the world itself... even when they say they hate us... much of them, deep inside, WANT TO BELIEVE in this nation and our founding principles.

We have let the world down in many different ways throughout our history, but as I have always maintained... We are MORE RIGHT than WRONG... we accomplish FAR MORE GOOD than EVIL in this world. They want to believe that too. And the election of a black President, revived that believe in them all over again. And gave them the feeling... "Maybe America really is about the principles they profess to believe in! Maybe they really do hold the promise of being a light to the ENTIRE WORLD... a nation worth aspiring to and emulating... hey look at that... maybe they really do, truly believe what they claim to believe!"

Last edited by CraigMaxim on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.